Re: 1st build

Postby kathy chorjel » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Ready, ready, ready to rock and roll!

kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:21 am

Oh hell yes,
That looks a lot nicer than mine on the first trip. That's a bad looking grocery getter in the back there, I'll bet it comes in handy on vacations.
Hey, I love that floor. That is dynamite. You know what they say, "Nothing keeps you snug like a Navajo rug" . Actually, I think I'm the only one who says that. Whatever.
Have fun and be safe! The Cheese State is a whole bunch of fun, but don't eat too many cheese curds. If you find you have some extras.. Well you Know what to do.

PS. Nice job.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:25 am

500 miles into GA, getting 7.6mpg with the OD off, 10.5 with it on. Avg speed 65mph. My tow vehicle is an f150 Tritan 8 4.6L. It pulls pretty good either way. Is the wear on the trans worth the extra mpg? Either way, this trip is gonna use a lot of gas...
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:42 am

That seems a little low, for such a lite trailer. How many miles on the TV? Plugs ?
Either way I'm sure you'll have fun and see lots if interesting places and things.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:07 am

Padilen wrote:That seems a little low, for such a lite trailer. How many miles on the TV? Plugs ?
Either way I'm sure you'll have fun and see lots if interesting places and things.

We turned 140 this trip, had a very expensive tune up in February, the truck runs really well for it's age. I'll just suck it up and have fun :D
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kathy chorjel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Couple of pics from our first trip. 3000 miles and the only issue was that we couldn't lower the stabilizers at one campground (this is an issue at home also). Had to run to the auto parts store for jack stands. Otherwise really happy with our adventure. I think the next add-on will be a window in the rv door. Also need to figure out how to add a breaker box so we can use a small fridge, PITA to run for ice each day.
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:17 pm

How is the AC connect to power ?

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:44 pm

[quote="Padilen"]How is the AC connect to power ?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk[/
We have 30amp plug-in connected to 3 regular wall outlets inside. Portable ac plugs into one. I am a bit concerned about plugging in another large appliance. It would likely be the only 2. A small fan and a light also.
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CoventryKid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Kathy:

For what it's worth, my 30A receptacle leads to a 4-breaker "sub-panel" from which I run 4 - 15A circuits throughout our trailer.

As happens occasionally, if I forget that I have the water heater on and turn on the kettle (same circuit), the breaker trips. After a slap on the back of the hand, I try not to do the same thing again. Or I move the kettle to the other kitchen plug which is a different circuit.

Don't know if the above helps but I would certainly look at putting something (breaker(s)) between the 30A receptacle and the 120v plugs.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby kathy chorjel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Thanks Doug, I do want to be safe. BTW your fix for the flapping vent louvers worked great!
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:51 am

Hey Kathy,
That looks pretty good! The sun sail/shade cloth looks like it should work well.
For some reason I thought you were headed to Wisconsin. But hey, Georgia is nice, too.
Have fun and be safe.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:47 am

McDave wrote:Hey Kathy,
That looks pretty good! The sun sail/shade cloth looks like it should work well.
For some reason I thought you were headed to Wisconsin. But hey, Georgia is nice, too.
Have fun and be safe.

McDave

Thanks McDave, we did go to WI for a weekend. Hit KY for a few days, slipped into TN for a day, and 2 stop overs in GA at a relatives. Next trip will likely be local with the pups.
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Looks like you had a great time. Sorry to hear about the troubles with the jackstands in the back. How do you deploy them?

In case you didn't know ( I was shown the correct way), typically, you want to lower the nose down as low as you need to deploy the stabilizers on the rear to whatever point they hit the ground, then crank up the nose until level from front to back. Side to side should be level if the trailer tires are essential not loaded by the trailer weight. Essentially you have a three point mount... You could then crank up just barely past level and then put those new portable stabilizers under the two from corners and bring back down to take the weight off the tongue... then you have a 4 point mount that should be level and very stable.

Take care.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:16 pm

flboy wrote:Looks like you had a great time. Sorry to hear about the troubles with the jackstands in the back. How do you deploy them?

In case you didn't know ( I was shown the correct way), typically, you want to lower the nose down as low as you need to deploy the stabilizers on the rear to whatever point they hit the ground, then crank up the nose until level from front to back. Side to side should be level if the trailer tires are essential not loaded by the trailer weight. Essentially you have a three point mount... You could then crank up just barely past level and then put those new portable stabilizers under the two from corners and bring back down to take the weight off the tongue... then you have a 4 point mount that should be level and very stable.

Take care.

Thanks Don. I have been successful in getting them lowered, but I guess it depends on how level the space is front back. I can only lower the front so far as I need a 4 inch additional height to connect to my hitch. I put a 4x4 block under the tongue jack.
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions