1st build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

1st build

Postby kathy chorjel » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Just picked up our new 7x12 Spartan and can't wait to start! We are going simple so far. We wanted something mostly for camping, but also for hauling the Harley on occasion and also usable for moving cargo when needed (yes, we want it all...). Had the factory install the insulated ceiling, e track for the bed platform, and a window. An rv style door was standard. We are thinking of adding a counter/cabinet in the vee and will use the portable a/c unit we already have. Thanks to everyone for posting their builds as I gleaned Sooo much information from this forum. I will post our progress as it goes. Planning to take it out for the weekend to see what else we think we need.

kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Re: 1st build

Postby CoventryKid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Can't wait to see pictures of your build.

Have fun!!
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby low277 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:33 pm

Welcome! Nice trailer! How high is your window from the floor of your trailer?
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:59 pm

We had them put the window as high as possible, haven't measured it but it's a standard height. Not at all happy with the "recessed" e track the factory did though. There is no back plate, leaving only the thin aluminum skin behind it. Sorta ruins the already minimal insulation the plywood provided. I wish we had installed it ourselves. Really like the unexpected chrome trim inside though...

gallery/image.php?album_id=4560&image_id=147522

gallery/image.php?album_id=4560&image_id=147521
Last edited by kathy chorjel on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kathy chorjel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:09 pm

Thinking about using spray Great Stuff foam insulation for filling the gap in the e track. Anyone use this stuff? Seems like a reasonable solution.
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:34 pm

Hey kathy chorjel,
I have used a lot of spray foam, and it does a good job of sealing air leaks, permanently. Some was Great Stuff and some was only Good Stuff. If you are only wanting a cosmetic improvement I would look for another solution. This stuff is messy and hard to control and will permanently stick to just about anything it contacts, clothes, skin, metal, wood etc. It is made to fill gaps and expands and dries, then you cut off the excess. There are a couple different types, minimum expansion, double and triple expanding. I think it would make a mess of your e-track that would be impossible to clean up, and fill all the slots, making them hard or impossible to use, and permanently adhere the track to the trailer skin. It could also over expand and bend and warp track and trailer side.
I assume there is no insulation in the walls, so you may want to consider that upgrade and then you can address the track issue at the same time. If you plan to do any camping in there it really helps. These trailers can get REALLY hot and REALLY cold, in the same day! It's a job to do, but you will notice almost everybody does that as the first upgrade. It helps with the noise as well.
If you just cant live with seeing the silver skin showing thru the slots, maybe just pull it off and paint flat black behind it and reinstall for now. Or use it to your advantage, and install some strip LED lights in the gap and have some accent lighting. Might look pretty cool. I don't have e-track on the walls but I installed some "Handrails" and ran strips lights behind them facing up and down to light up the wall and floor and ceiling as indirect lighting. The ceiling is pretty close to my head and lights there are annoying.
I saw where you said you were going to haul the Harley, camp and use as a utility trailer. Well, that is just what I built mine for, as have many people here. Spend some time browsing and use the trailer a few times to get an idea of your wants and needs and then make a plan. Here is a few pics of the lighting I mentioned. All the light in those pics came from those lights as I have NO Windows. You can see one of the 5 peepholes that I installed in pic. 1. It's really pretty effective lighting.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:03 pm

Thanks for the input Mcdave. I the e track is welded to the frame so removing it isn't an option. Also we really are trying to avoid removing the plywood as the factory did such a nice job with the ceiling and the chrome trim. I just KNOW I would jack that all up! I will stew on it some more and keep looking for a solution.
The lighting looks great on your build, I was thinking of doing something similar myself. Thanks again! :D
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:34 am

kathy chorjel, Howdy;

kathy chorjel wrote:Thanks for the input Mcdave. I the e track is welded to the frame so removing it isn't an option. Also we really are trying to avoid removing the plywood as the factory did such a nice job with the ceiling and the chrome trim. I just KNOW I would jack that all up! I will stew on it some more and keep looking for a solution.
The lighting looks great on your build, I was thinking of doing something similar myself. Thanks again! :D

There is always an option ... Remove the plywood walls and with the judicial use of an angle grinder easy-peezy, the E-track is removed.
Don't try to hurry anything, and the chances of "jacking" things up diminishes ... greatly. Looking forward to seeing what you do to/with it.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kathy chorjel » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:48 am

Thanks Hank! I was wondering if it would be as simple as pulling off the lower panels and sliding some board insulation up though the ribs. Since the e track is welded to them it should slide up behind the track... ?
Also, how fast can I expect to go on the interstate with my F150? I noticed when we picked up the trailer that I never got to overdrive at 70+mph. Is that usual? I am REALLY new to this! :thinking:
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:53 am

Are you sure that e-track is welded? I have my doubts. Can you get a pic.?

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Well McDave, it's SUPPOSED to be. I won't know until I get the panels off though. Thinking that may be the best solution and I think I can just slide the insulation up under the track.

kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:08 pm

kathy chorjel, Howdy;

When you ask a question such as;
"Also, how fast can I expect to go on the interstate with my F150? I noticed when we picked up the trailer that I never
got to overdrive at 70+mph. Is that usual? I am REALLY new to this!"

My response is to ask if you have read the sidewall of your tires. Ok, here's a good example from Tire Rack.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... ?techid=33
click on the different selections around the tire in the picture and you'll be able to read about each chunk
of information. But, basically, the tires are original to the trailer, then they most likely are ST type tires and
will generally have an approx. 60mph rating.
I'd also ask if you have a Tow/Haul button on your shifter or somewhere else that you should be engaging when
you Tow your trailer or Haul a load in the bed. It will remove the "Overdrive" from the transmission and will allow
you to be able to slow down using the engine, not as an engine brake or Jake-brake those are add-ons just using
the engine's compression to slow it down. Stuff that folks that do this alot don't even think about and take for
granted until someone new asks. Orrrrr, perhaps you were in Tow/Haul and that's why you didn't achieve "Overdrive" ...

hank

PS, get a photo of the E-track (close -up for where the screw holes are and then we can offer more advise.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kathy chorjel » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Hank, that was some pretty good information, thank you! The tires are rated for 75mph. I did not even know there was that much info on the tires... I also did not know to take the vehicle off overdrive when towing. I guess I have a lot more to learn than just how to back the trailer up in less than 20 trys, LOL! I appreciate everyones advice. I am going to take the trailer out for a couple days soon and see what I will need (as advised), then probably take out a couple wall panels and have a good look at the e track fastening. I am unable to see any screws without doing that.
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:01 pm

Is it possible that the track just has flanges stuck behind the
plywood for holding it?
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:09 pm

I don't think so Pete, it is supposed to be welded to the framework.
Kathy
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions