Few questions pre-build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Few questions pre-build

Postby defjr333 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:38 am

I decided on the inverter/ charger. It allows for using ac for devices while remaining unused amount charges batteries while on shore power or genny. If I unhook from shore it automatically switches to all battery use. I have the AIMS 3000W/ 9000W 12v version. It can handle an 80 amp input, but don't need that much so it's prob bigger than I really need. Needs 00 awg power cable. Lol
defjr333
Teardrop Builder

Postby tanukihimself » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:55 pm

Yea I have some 12/2 wire to run 3 recepticals for small stuff and 2 light switches, one with dimmer for 5 puck style led's.

This is what I think I need:
A inverter /charger for converting the solar to be stored in batteries.
A couple batteries. (Don't know how many or what volt,help?)
2 or 3 solar panels
A breaker box like defjr333 linked to.
Maybe a 50 amp plug on the outside or maybe underneath with some really heavy gauge wire. If this goes to a breaker box, do i need a surge protector?

I need to draw out some plans to see what this should look like linked together and let yall comment on it.

Ive managed to insulate the the back half of the trailer and the ramp door, which im so happy didn't require Loving with the ramp springs or wires. Sealed up gaps with some blue label non expanding great stuff foam, which I thought was pretty cool as its designed to be used on sensitive gaps...huh huh huh. The screws used to hold all the plywood in are just self tapping screws that are easy to remove, not like some rivet hybrids Ive heard awful stories about. Taped up the gaps with some gorilla tape and a little HD duct tape.

Everything has gone fine with as little time as I have to mess with it, but I needs to get this electrical out so I can finish the insulation job with 1in rigid rmax insulation on the walls and the 1/2 insulation on ceiling. Then ill put some luaun on the ceiling and some foam interlocking mats on the floor. I also just got my 10 in memory foam queen size mattress in today that I need a vented bottom frame design, if yall got any ideas fire away, this is the main point of the trailer is the bed so I want it done right.
tanukihimself
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:22 am

[quote="tanukihimself"]
Sealed up gaps with some blue label non expanding great stuff foam, which I thought was pretty cool as its designed to be used on sensitive gaps...huh huh huh.[quote]

Mind the Gap, tanuki ... ;)

McDave

Edit: Oh yeah, I know your time is short, But please don't rush your electrical work. It's just too important. I might suggest that you plan out outlets and switches and such that will be in walls and at least run wiring down wall at required locations, then you can leave a long enough length to make it to fuse box and just bundle it up. Then you can continue to put walls together and finish wiring at your leisure. If you don't cut in the openings for switches and outlets when installing panels, be sure to leave some spare "slack" wire in the wall. When you do cut in switches the wire will be long enough to work with. Take your time and get this right, this may be the best opportunity you will have to learn and understand electrical. That's a skill that will serve you the rest of your days.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby defjr333 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:37 pm

For shore power input i used this 30A plug, but it does come in higher amperage if needed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371306376781?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

For batteries, I struggled to decide on what type to use until it was mentioned on a thread i made titled "Batteries" just a few weeks ago. The all knowing people here that have actually used these setups recommended the Duracell GC2 golf cart 6v 215ah batteries. After some research and procrastination, I finally bought 8 of them :R at $85 each I couldnt say no. Bought mine from Sams Club. They even let me use some old car batteries for the core fee! My inverter LOVES them. Power hungry ba$tard! lol
defjr333
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions