rain visors for the windows

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

rain visors for the windows

Postby tanukihimself » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:53 pm

anyone fool with putting little visors over the windows or is it kinda dumb. i could see having the windows open and it raining a little and being able to have the windows cracked might be benifcial. Kind of like the visors you put on your pickup or something. Sorry if this doesnt make complete sense, been a loooong weekend in the restaurant
tanukihimself
Teardrop Builder

Re: rain visors for the windows

Postby John61CT » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:24 pm

John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:59 pm

tanukihimself wrote:anyone fool with putting little visors over the windows or is it kinda dumb. i could see having the windows open and it raining a little and being able to have the windows cracked might be beneficial. Kind of like the visors you put on your pickup or something. Sorry if this doesn't make complete sense, been a loooong weekend in the restaurant
  • When I bought my 15"x18" awning-style windows from 'Lil Bear in 2013, I also bought the little eyebrows he also sold. I figured, I might keep my windows open in a light rain, and the eyebrows might catch some water spilling off the flat roof. I had a '68 Chevy pickup a few years back, and installed the classic metal window visors on it, and they worked...I could keep the windows cracked, and no rain would enter there. The trailer window eyebrows reminded me of them.
  • I made my own visors/deflectors for my homemade doors, by bending and forming angle aluminum stock to mimic the shape of the doors, from frame front up past the opposite top edge; they work pretty good. They were screwed and glued on, to prevent wind-driven rain from being blown into the door seals. And to stop water coming off the roof from entering. With the exception of leaving one door partially open, under a canopy pouring water directly on that door, my aluminum angle visors have done alright.
  • Some people do without the visors, while others, like me, think that they do a good job keeping water out (under most circumstances); the choice is yours.
  • window and door visors.png
    window and door visors.png (388.1 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby hankaye » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:16 am

tanukihimself, Howdy;

Living in an RV fulltime as I do, I have window envy for those folks with Louvered (jalousied), windows.
The ones in my present RV are vertical & horizontal sliders. Either full open or shut, no 1/2 or partial
holes for the spring loaded springs to rest in for "cracking" open a window for some rainy day ventilation.
Now I do have 2 windows that have a louvered section and those I can open for some relief. The RV that
I lived in before this one had the jalousie style windows and those are the best! When I get around to
installing windows in mine they will either be these;
http://www.rvwindow.com/RV_Products_Lis ... goryID=238
scroll down to model #8756. 2 of those and I'll be a happier camper

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:23 am

anyone fool with putting little visors over the windows or is it kinda dumb.

I think it might be a good idea for a teardrop door with a high-set window like my old Hunter did. My doors are the full-window commercial doors that open from the bottom (which combined with a roof vent makes for great convection) and I just don't see those little rain gutters keeping any rain out. And frankly, we've never gotten any rain in from our windows.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions