New toy hauler build 8x16 H&H

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New toy hauler build 8x16 H&H

Postby Jscwerve » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:06 am

McDave wrote:PS. I had my first taste of "Taco Treat" this weekend. It's really not bad. My friend from Ft. Benton has been bragging on it for years. Being from New Mexico, I was sceptical. They had a beautiful truck at the Rally. I must say, it was pretty good for Montana Mexican. That cinnamon frybread was awesome. Not what I grew up on , but really good.

I never was a big Taco Treat fan. Everyone I went to high school with thinks differently though. So much so that at our reunion, Taco Treat was the food served!!

Anyways, Shakedown trip completed with the trailer. I just spent 4 days and 3 nights in the trailer at about 10,500 feet. My concerns going into the trip were:

1. The furnace operation at that altitude. A lot of propane appliances have issues in the mountains here due to the thin air. Fortunately not this old Atwood heater/furnace. It worked like a charm!

2. The Fridge operation on propane, also because of altitude. It also worked flawlessly. To the point of accidentally freezing some food and having to turn it down. A 1lb propane bottle will last a total of three days. I love that thing.

3. Keeping the batteries charged. It was in the low 40s at night. I ran the heater every night for at least 8 hours, the LED lights really do not draw anything substantial. My batteries hold a zero charge of 12.8v. Must be because they are old. After running the heater for 8 hours, the voltage dropped to about 12.6-12.5. That's as low as I saw it. In partial sunlight and it raining the entire weekend, the solar panel still kept the batteries topped off even well before full sun. Before noon every day. I'll now plan on new batteries for next year, but these do just fine for now. The charger actually pushes them up to 13.5, but once charging is complete, they quickly just drop back to 12.8/9.

4. Water. I've got a 9 gallon fresh water container. This weekend was just me and my dog and we used about half of that. I think a larger container may be in store. Also, I think I'm going to go ahead and install a shore fill to the trailer. I didn't want to, but carrying a water tank to and from the trailer to fill it SUCKED. Secondly, the hand pump I installed worked perfectly. That being said, I will be installing an electric pump. It's just too difficult to wash one hand. For grey water I just have a 5 gallon bucket. I used that to help put the fire out every night.

Other findings:

-I've got to get my Fantastic Vent installed sooner rather than later. With it raining, I kept the door closed most of the time. Smell lingers in the trailer. I'll just leave it at that. I did find a solution temporarily of just turning on the furnace fan. The vent will be better.

-Last week I purchased a flat top griddle for outdoor food preparation. It is absolutely the best cooking device I've ever used camping!! I was able to cook breakfast (sausage, hash browns, eggs) for five adults and four children at the same time in a matter of minutes with minimal clean up and using zero skillets/pans/etc. The same went for other meals. The only thing I made on my stove top was coffee. I wish I had bought one of these things years ago. The one I got was the Blackstone 28". https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009971BM6/ref=asc_df_B009971BM65090554/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B009971BM6&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141575819&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16393651377034389621&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060268&hvtargid=pla-274174013483

All in all, I've never had a more comfortable trip into the mountains!
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.colley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Jscwerve wrote:4. Water. I've got a 9 gallon fresh water container. This weekend was just me and my dog and we used about half of that. I think a larger container may be in store. Also, I think I'm going to go ahead and install a shore fill to the trailer. I didn't want to, but carrying a water tank to and from the trailer to fill it SUCKED. Secondly, the hand pump I installed worked perfectly. That being said, I will be installing an electric pump. It's just too difficult to wash one hand. For grey water I just have a 5 gallon bucket. I used that to help put the fire out every night.

Since you've got a heavy duty truck you might want to consider a extra tank that you can haul in the bed when needed and leave at home when not needed. A simple 12V pump to transfer water from the truck tank to your camper mounted 9 gallon tank.

Its a upgrade I'm considering for extended boon docking trips at the hunt camp and some remote ATV parks. Then when I'm hooked up to city water I'll leave it at home.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 am

:applause:
So, all I am hearing is Success, Success, Success! "We're gonna win so much, you'll get sick of winning!" D.Trump... ;) ...
Alrighty then. That's the kind of progress report that'll get ya a free combo plate #1 from Taco Treat. (Drink not included)
So at 10,500 ft, you must have been in the Rockies, southern Colorado or northern New Mexico? As luck would have it, I passed right through 10,500 and had lunch at 10,945 in Cooke city. Still 15 ft of snow at the "Top Of The World" gift shop at the top of Beartooth Pass. That never gets old for me. Middle of July, 90f in Cody, about 40f down in that tunnel of snow. It just feels so good!
Sounds like you've really got her on the run. That was a fast build for all the amenities you collected and installed. It's amazing how much you can squeeze out of a budget if you are willing to put in the time hunting. Just throw pillows and doilies left to do now I guess. That's where the big bucks come in. Good Luck with that.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:55 am

Upgrades already in the works!

So this week I've ordered a water pump, faucet, outside fresh water fill, and drains for the fresh and grey tank (to be acquired). Hind sight is 20/20 as they say and I should have just gone with the pump in the first place. So, all in all, that will be a loss of the $22 I spent on the pump faucet and about an hours worth of time installing it.

Good lessons either cost money or they're painful. This one is thankfully only a few bucks.

Here is a small overview my buddy did. The second half of the vid he has the bed lowering and pulley system. Remember, the camera adds 100lbs they say. :shock:
(I'm actually down 40 from a few months ago and still have a long way to go!)

Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:14 am

Nice work on that bed!! Very impressed!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy