Trailers eventually leak water..

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Trailers eventually leak water..

Postby Jscwerve » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 am

rebar wrote:
McDave wrote:Well see, there's your problem. you bought a trailer with a doomed roof. What the heck did ya think was gonna happen? Geez..Kids these days.
McDave

:lol: :lol: :applause:

Seriously though.. Do any trailer manufactures offer a domed seamless roof? Or a domed roof covered with rubber?

Always a bunch of comedians!

My domed roof has seams. I guess it is probably cost prohibitive to find sheet steel that is 10' wide and 16' long. I do not have a fear of the roof leaking at all for several years. The bonding used on the trailer I bought is a 3M product that I have personally seen stand up in much harsher environments (like refineries and dirty factories) for many years. Additionally, when I was initially shopping for a trailer I was looking for a used one. Almost every single one I looked at that was more than 5 years old had loose rivets on the ceiling.

Of course I could be wrong. The domed roof may possibly be the worst thing ever done to the world of cargo trailers! :lol:
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:10 am

Jscwerve, Howdy;

When I was looking for my CT I looked around at as many different manufacturers
and one of the things I was looking for was a 1 piece roof. Yea, It's got seams where
it meets the side walls. and yes mine has a domed roof. Haven't had (knock on wood),
a drop of water inside it that wasn't brought in by either myself or Rascal (Border Collie
and maximum fur dispersal unit).
Here's one for example, scroll down to see the build specs.
https://www.interstatecargo.com/enclosed.php#sizes

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rebar » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:24 am

hankaye wrote:Jscwerve, Howdy;

and one of the things I was looking for was a 1 piece roof. Yea, It's got seams where
it meets the side walls. and yes mine has a domed roof. Haven't had (knock on wood),
a drop of water inside it that wasn't brought in by either myself or Rascal (Border Collie

hank

Nice, thanks..

Yes, " It's got seams where it meets the side walls." But, the roof must over lap the side walls.. And your not relying on caulk to keep the water out like my old featherlite did even with a one piece roof.

Interstate is on my list now and Im not to worried about the steel construction.. Easier to modify as I'm not as good welding aluminum.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 pm

rebar wrote:
hankaye wrote:Jscwerve, Howdy;

hank

Nice, thanks..

Yes, " It's got seams where it meets the side walls." But, the roof must over lap the side walls.. And your not relying on caulk to keep the water out like my old featherlite did even with a one piece roof.

Interstate is on my list now and Im not to worried about the steel construction.. Easier to modify as I'm not as good welding aluminum.

Actually, there is a curved piece of material that covers (over), the first few inches
of the roof and connects to the sidewalls. You can see it in the picture at the top
of the linked page. There is a healthy bead of chalking ensuring things inside stay dry.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: in my book.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions