How much $ to remodel/replace interior on a 20' toyhauler?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

How much $ to remodel/replace interior on a 20' toyhauler?

Postby rebar » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:40 am

I found a 10 year old toyhauler with good bones but it's been ridden hard and put away wet. The interior is all beat up but all the appliances are there and work.

I know this is a open ended question. But since I have a good idea what his trailer is worth in good condition, how much money would it take to gut the trailer, and replace the linoleum floor, wall paneling and glue veneer over all the cabinets? One main cabinet is missing since he cut it away to fit a side by side.

This is my chance to customize a toyhauler for my needs, but whats it going to cost not including my time.

Any educated guesses?

Thanks
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Re: How much $ to remodel/replace interior on a 20' toyhaule

Postby ffemtp » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:16 am

It is certainly an open-ended question. You can spend as much or as little as you want. It obviously depends on the upgrades. This amount will probably be somewhat debated, but for an average redo, plan to spend $3000 on the interior - this includes batteries, wiring, switches, AC wire, outlets, 12V fan, etc,; then cabinets, sink, toilet and shower(?), subflooring, flooring, ceiling, insulation, walls, any mechanical issues such as brakes, you might add solar panels and a controller, water tank, gray and black water tanks (?), bed, sofa, tables, Heating and Air, and on and on ad nauseum.

But I digress, my response is for a "new" build. To repair one will cost less but you might want to upgrade some of the items as well such as the insulation and the subflooring. New flooring - maybe $200-300, wall paneling - $20 or so per 4x8 sheet, veneer - maybe $20/sheet depending.

Plan to take it in stages and prepare to change your mind several times. You will likely discover better options as you go. Take the time and enjoy it!
ffemtp
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:45 pm

You left out the most important info. Rebar. A half ton of steel is worth about 200.00. But Who is Rebar? What is 200lbs. of Rebar worth? That's a kick ass handle, but can you back it up? What I'm asking is what's your skill level? What does your tool belt look like. That's the main ingredient for this type of project. And even more important than skills is heart and cajones...That's what MAKES it happen.
But to answer your question, your looking at a range from 20.00 to 20,000.00 depending on your "trim level".

"Speed is just a question of money, How fast do you wanna go?"

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Rebar, with nice being a relative term itself, I’d think you could build out a really nice interior (with shower and toilet) for less than $5,000 including a modest power system if you are willing to put in the sweat equity and fabricate beds/cabinets/etc. and find used items on Ebay, Craiglist, and etc. But your question is rather open ended as toilets, showers, tanks, solar power, etc. all add up and you were not clear on what amenities you wanted .

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rebar » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:16 pm

ffemtp wrote: You can spend as much or as little as you want. It obviously depends on the upgrades. This amount will probably be somewhat debated, but for an average redo, plan to spend $3000 on the interior - this includes batteries, wiring, switches, AC wire, outlets, 12V fan, etc,; then cabinets, sink, toilet and shower(?), subflooring, flooring, ceiling, insulation, walls, any mechanical issues such as brakes, you might add solar panels and a controller, water tank, gray and black water tanks (?), bed, sofa, tables, Heating and Air, and on and on ad nauseum.
But I digress, my response is for a "new" build. To repair one will cost less but you might want to upgrade some of the items as well such as the insulation and the subflooring. New flooring - maybe $200-300, wall paneling - $20 or so per 4x8 sheet, veneer - maybe $20/sheet depending.
Plan to take it in stages and prepare to change your mind several times. You will likely discover better options as you go. Take the time and enjoy it!

Yes, I dont need to outfit the entire trailer.. Just a makeover but maybe upgrade to dual batteries and smart charger. But I will never use wall papered luan. I like wood tones but in the end the paneling will probably be FRP as much as I dislike the bathroom pebble look.

McDave wrote:You left out the most important info Rebar. What I'm asking is what's your skill level? What does your tool belt look like. That's the main ingredient for this type of project. And even more important than skills is heart and cajones...That's what MAKES it happen.
But to answer your question, your looking at a range from 20.00 to 20,000.00 depending on your "trim level".

McDave

Thanks McDave..

I used to be a residential tinner, and now I work at the U of I chilled water plant (operations and maintenance) making cold water. 35,000 tons of it. So I'm strong at pattern development, piping and simple electrical. I'm a real stickler for detail and should have built violins for a living as Iv build many R/C models.

Heart? I love seclusion in the middle of nowhere (Colorado's my favorite) is why I bought my first toyhauler. When I blew up my cummins powered van pulling up monarch pass I could have thrown the towel in, but instead I spent the next two years crawling around my garage floor removing rebuilding and installing.. Ever lined up a cummins to the trans by yourself?

Cajones? Does crawling under a toyhauler on a grass hill with no axles on it count? I wanted a 4" lift and did it alone. Maybe that was more stupidity..

I'm ready and have the skills to do this. But I hate paying to much. I broke even when I sold my first toyhauler..

flboy wrote:Rebar, with nice being a relative term itself, I’d think you could build out a really nice interior (with shower and toilet) for less than $5,000 including a modest power system if you are willing to put in the sweat equity and fabricate beds/cabinets/etc. and find used items on Ebay, Craiglist, and etc. But your question is rather open ended as toilets, showers, tanks, solar power, etc. all add up and you were not clear on what amenities you wanted .

All the amenities are already installed. But I like your $5K number.. So if I feel the trailer might be worth $13K after Im done, my top dollar is $8K
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:06 pm

Trailers do not hold their value used. So I think your math may be off. Also the cost for a redo should include the cost of demo. Pretend that your paying yourself to do the redo, that's the actual cost. Even though you didn't "spend" that amount.
If it's a good platform and affordable, go for it. Post pics.
McDave
What happen's if you don't have cajones? Cause I checked I got no [BASEBALL]️[BASEBALL]️.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:05 am

@ Padelin,
You got plenty of cajones. There's a whole lot of people with balls, but no cajones.
You are good to go.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:38 am

That's good to know!
Thanks.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:44 am

Padilen, Howdy;

"BALLS !!!, said the Queen, Had I but 2 then I'd be KING!!!" :roll: , :lol: .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rebar » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:21 am

Padilen wrote:Trailers do not hold their value used. So I think your math may be off.

I paid 10500 for my toyhauler and sold it for 14000. My math says I sold it for 3500 more 6 years later.

I offered 10500 for this other toyhauler which would bring about 14000 if it was clean like my first toyhauler. But I offered to much..

==============================================================
1. The sport of choice for the urban poor is BASKETBALL.

2. The sport of choice for maintenance level employees is BOWLING.

3. The sport of choice for front-line workers is FOOTBALL.

4. The sport of choice for supervisors is BASEBALL.

5. The sport of choice for middle management is TENNIS.

And...

6. The sport of choice for corporate executives and officers is GOLF.

THE AMAZING CONCLUSION:

The higher you go in the corporate structure, the smaller your balls become. There must be a boat load of people in Washington playing marbles.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:59 am

I need you to sell my stuff! I give it away and still buyer claims its over priced.

The only balls I play with are the ones I throw or kick for my dog. Best game ever.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby rebar » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:13 am

Padilen wrote:I need you to sell my stuff! I give it away and still buyer claims its over priced.

The only balls I play with are the ones I throw or kick for my dog. Best game ever.

Ill admit it doesn't always turn out like that.. I'm in about 9K into a 1995 work van that's worth around 5K and I continue to throw money and time at it.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions