New ideas

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

New ideas

Postby aplusmm » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:21 pm

I have an on-site RV repair business and have a regular out of state customer that comes through once a year. This year he called and said he's buying a "toy hauler cargo trailer" that he wants me to help him convert into a camper. I'm so excited about this that I can't hardly stand it. It is pre-wired for 50 amp. 1st thing we are going to do is install a roof AC (already braced and wired from factory). Next he said he wants me to think about it as if it were mine. He does not want propane or holding tanks but does want a shower and maybe toilet. He will only be camping in places that have full hookups. I'm thinking from experience the second thing (after the AC) is a surge suppressor and Fantastic Vent with hood for the second vent opening. A water heater for the shower should be easy with a standard rv gas/electric unit - no need to cut the outside wall for it since there will be no LP. Draining a shower pan should be pretty easy. I'm thinking about making a better drain line out of a wet vac hose. As for a toilet I thought about a standard flush (residential) toilet but now I'm thinking a maserator toilet (ouch, $800), intended for basement or closet installation, would be better and would flush the drain line better. Also thinking the vac hose would still be big enough to handle the volume created by that kind of toilet. The customer is also thinking about a reefer style plastic slat curtain to divide the toy area from the living area but wants to be able to open into that area to put a table and chairs in there in case of inclement weather. I haven't asked if he wants an awning yet. Any other ideas or suggestions?
aplusmm
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New ideas

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Hey aplusmm,
Where ya from? So, on site RV repair biz. I'd like to learn a little more about that if you've got the time. But first here is my input to your first post. Welcome Sir, we're glad to have you join us, and I'm sure you will quick become a valuable asset to this forum, considering experience and chosen profession. Finally, a real Pro to keep us on track.. ... :NC ... .
If you have spent much time reading here, you know my stance on Air Conditioners, so I like the way your starting off here.
50 amp power may not be necessary, but better too much than not enough. I would highly recommend that you also install a 12v system. It does not have to be elaborate but it gives the option to power up lights and other functions while in transit or sites not provided with 120vac. If you want to keep that reefer cold while traveling, with or without propane, you'll need 12v system of some kind.
So yea, the shower drains and other plumbing is pretty straight forward, but just stick with what you know works, leave mom's vacuum hose alone and do it the right way.
The planning stage is the hardest, most time consuming part of this, but it is the most critical. You and the customer want to be as happy with the results as possible. Get lots of info from the customer. Start with broad strokes and narrow it down to fine details. Have him choose what flooring etc. and you verify it will work before ordering.
Be sure to communicate and agree on how much and how long, hopefully in writing.

Good Luck
McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Re: New ideas

Postby Mark959 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:40 am

aplusmm wrote: Draining a shower pan should be pretty easy. I'm thinking about making a better drain line out of a wet vac hose. As for a toilet I thought about a standard flush (residential) toilet but now I'm thinking a maserator toilet (ouch, $800), intended for basement or closet installation, would be better and would flush the drain line better. Also thinking the vac hose would still be big enough to handle the volume created by that kind of toilet. The customer is also thinking about a reefer style plastic slat curtain to divide the toy area from the living area but wants to be able to open into that area to put a table and chairs in there in case of inclement weather. I haven't asked if he wants an awning yet. Any other ideas or suggestions?

What climate zone will he be in? You might want to insulate the trailer... If you get measurements of the trailer you can find how many btu's of AC you need.

How big is the trailer?

As for the plumbing, I probably wouldn't do the shower pan with wet vac hose, or use a macerator toilet. Also most residential homes I have worked in have a normal toilet, and use a waste evacuator pump that also functions as a macerator. Would be more economical that route probably... But from what I've seen with black water systems, the toilet usually drains down into the holding tank directly beneath. Toilets already have a p-trap built into them.
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions