7x16x7 Future Build...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

7x16x7 Future Build...

Postby FlyBye » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:35 pm

My wife and I are on the last leg of our vacation using my parents 7x12 cargo trailer as a camper. It's been a heat wave here in the Mid South with oppressive temps and humidity this past week and would have been undesirable camping weather without the air conditioner that the trailer provided. My parent's picked up their cargo trailer with the A/C installed a few days before they lent it out to us, so everything is brand spanking new! They wanted my wife and I to see theirs before we ordered ours to confirm the workmanship and such. Long story short, It was pretty awesome of them!

So we hope and intend to purchase our 7x16x7 next week. I just need to finalize the exact location for the windows and a few other odds and ends before we turn in the order. Unlike my parents trailer, we are going to have the electrical work done after we insulate the walls and ceiling so we can place the 30 amp fuse block where we want it verses just being mounted on the wall.

*** For those who have installed their own 30 amp fuse box, would it be that difficult for most people to DIY? I'm assuming that it probably wouldn't be that difficult to run the wiring for the lights and kitchen area. If there are a lot of unforeseen hurdles that I'm unaware of I might just contract it out to a local electrician and just do the wood construction myself. ***

As a side note, the company that we will be purchasing from will use removable screws when I asked, but their wood grain on the paneling was so nice that ya hate to remove it even though you realize the importance of proper insulation.

I have been reading, reading and rereading several of the posts the last several years for ideas and suggestions. I appreciate everyone that have documented their build for others to learn and be inspired by.
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Re: 7x16x7 Future Build...

Postby faust_21 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:33 pm

Welcome to the site flybye! I'm just getting into my own build "7x16 az toy hauler". It has been very exciting as we'll as frustrating already, but I know it will all be worth it. I think most people you talk to would suggest installing a pd4045 which is my plan over a ckt box like your talking. This will put everything 120vac and 12vdc in one place with charging and and converting capabilities. Any questions feel free to message me and I highly suggest flboy and mcdaves posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
faust_21
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:35 pm

Congratulations on pulling the trigger on a build. Best of luck. :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:04 am

Congrats on your 7x16 build. I'm seeing more & more people doing builds similar to all of our CTC conversions for the same reason. Tents aren't bad but don't offer the weather protection that a "tin tent" offers. A co-worker has asked me to help them build a simple version, something light with just the basics. I told them sure I'll help.

You can't beat the Progressive Dynamics PD4045. Yes there are less expensive ways of wiring but are they really that much cheaper by the time you put it all together, specially if your wiring both 12V DC & 120V AC.

Good Luck with you build.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby CoventryKid » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:44 am

Welcome FlyBye!

Look forward to watching your build.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Good luck on the build! +1 on the Rv power center. I purchased the WP-8740 before I knew the Progressive Dynamics converters were supposedly better than the WFCO units. Hooking it up this week. I hope it works good and for a very long time.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby FlyBye » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:27 am

It sounds like most of y'all have and use DC power often. Our intention is an attempt to try to keep everything as simple as we can and just make a camper a few steps above a nylon tent. We plan on using primarily AC that would be available at campgrounds via the 30 amps offered. For more remote excursions, we plan on using a generator. We haven't bought it yet but have intentions to get one of the Champion Inverter generators. The majority of the power needs would be pretty modest with the exception of the 15,000 btu A/C. We aim to install a mini refrigerator along with a toaster oven, crock pot, LED lights and TV. We have narrowed down a couple of showers that we are considering also. The dealer says that it will more than likely take about 4-6 weeks for it to be ready.

I got off track, but a simple 30 amp box will more than likely be the route we will take unless someone convinces us of a better solution (cost, safety, convenience) for the type of camping we will be usually doing. I sold my large boat and will be hauling my fishing kayak on most of the trips we will be taking. So my only battery will be for my fish finder and the truck battery.
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:44 am

FlyBye, Howdy;

1st. Welcome to the funny farm...

Most folks have been reporting that the Progressive Dynamics 4045 electric center does a
very good job of handling their needs. Also, should you, at a later date, decide to add
some 12vdc into the trailer you already have the capability. Just something to consider.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby FlyBye » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:14 am

hankaye wrote:...Most folks have been reporting that the Progressive Dynamics 4045 electric center does a
very good job of handling their needs. Also, should you, at a later date, decide to add
some 12vdc into the trailer you already have the capability. Just something to consider...

:thumbsup:
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:42 am

Welcome FlyBye,
Well I guess I'm with the rest of the gang when it comes to installing a "power center". I chose, and highly recommend the WFCO-8955. It has been flawless in operation. It gives you the 30 amp service that you are already going need for air conditioning. Also, it provides several AC circuits that are breaker protected, just like a home 30 amp breaker box. You had mentioned several appliances you might want to use, this would provide circuits for those. In addition, you will have 12vdc converter and charger and several fused dc circuits. The advantage is that low voltage DC (12vdc) is just a safer and more efficient way to power things like lighting and small pumps and electronics. With the battery you are able to power up while in transit or at remote locations. Having and keeping that refrigerator cold while traveling to the KOA has obvious advantages.
Suppose you took the trailer to the tailgate party or the kids track meet or church picnic etc.? Even the ability to light the cargo area and porch could be handy if you use the trailer as a utility trailer to move the mother in laws couch to the "Villages". You see where I'm going with this. Just food for thought. Like Hank said, it gives the option to expand at a later date, and you get the 30amp service you wanted to begin with.
Good Luck and have fun with this project. All the help you need is here.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Two weekends ago, while at a VA State Park, the power went out and was not to return for hours later. Having 12v capability provides a little more insurance, even while camping on the grid. Should this have happened at night, my 12v ref/frig would have been able to try and keep foods cool, I would have lights and I could have run the ceiling fan to help with air ciruclation on the hotter nights.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:50 pm

Or for example, if you have been following the power outage at Hatteras and Oracoke Island in NC where a bridge constuction crew severed the main power line into the island, and if there was not a mandatory visitor evacuation in place and if you had your camper there, and if after spending many dollars to get there, you wanted to stay, having some 12v capability just might have allowed you to contine to enjoy your visit. And having solar to recharge your batteries would only sweeten the deal.

BTW, this outage is a serious blow to all the planned visits to the beaches at Hatteras Island and of course a huge financial blow to all the businesses that rely on the summer tourists. It may take as long as weeks to regain power. It is a sad state of affairs for both the visiting public and the local businesses.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby mcubberley » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:56 pm

lrrowe wrote:Or for example, if you have been following the power outage at Hatteras and Oracoke Island in NC where a bridge constuction crew severed the main power line into the island, and if there was not a mandatory visitor evacuation in place and if you had your camper there, and if after spending many dollars to get there, you wanted to stay, having some 12v capability just might have allowed you to contine to enjoy your visit. And having solar to recharge your batteries would only sweeten the deal.

BTW, this outage is a serious blow to all the planned visits to the beaches at Hatteras Island and of course a huge financial blow to all the businesses that rely on the summer tourists. It may take as long as weeks to regain power. It is a sad state of affairs for both the visiting public and the local businesses.

And vacation/rental insurance is not covering it because it was not an act of god. They expect you to sue the negligent directly.

They were stopping people at the bridge. Some of our favorite secluded beach spots are on hatteras island. Couldn't even visit national park areas. It's going to be interesting to see how all the massive lawsuits pan out.
Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions