ECO Smart water heaters

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

ECO Smart water heaters

Postby RixPlace1 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm nearing the end of my bild ,solar panels,shower,and am considering using ECO Smart mini water heaters. Most of my traveling is self,so a 6 gallon htr demand type isn't worse than some places I was stationed in the AF.and I plan to ocassionaly stop in state parks and rv parks not a boon docking kinda person.120V plug in connection.
Comments appreciated
RixPlace1
Teardrop Inspector

Re: ECO Smart water heaters

Postby FlyBye » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm curious also on what the verdict is. I am considering one after originally considering one of those camping propane units that ya usually keep outside (unless you have a dedicated adequate ventilation plan). The more I thought of it being outside, the less I thought of it as an option for what my wife and I are planning on doing. Electric is great when you have shore power. My wiring will just have to accommodate it. I did read somewhere online where others did not connect it to a separate line.

Also I did read of a different brand (I forget which one off hand), and several of the owners reported in the water really not being "hot", but just warm. I can't remember how many degrees they said that their unit would increase the water temp. and it was listed for mainly being used in the south for that reason. I'm still interested in finding out more about them and what brands perform best and such. I appreciate you bringing up the topic.
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby Snakebite » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi check out Ben's Hot Dog Carts ( I have one ) the propane h20 heaters works great. Hope this helps
Snakebite
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:21 pm

RixPlace1 wrote:I'm nearing the end of my build

Do you have some build pics hidden some place?

I assume you are looking at this unit? http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-6-g ... /205610804
The HD video said temps up to 140 deg. A shower is around 105 deg. so it should work for you. The only problem I see is the regeneration time being 27 min., you better get the job done on the first shot.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:10 am

Iconfabul8 wrote:I assume you are looking at this unit? http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-6-g ... /205610804
The HD video said temps up to 140 deg. A shower is around 105 deg. so it should work for you. The only problem I see is the regeneration time being 27 min., you better get the job done on the first shot.

I see only one possible problem. According to the spec sheet, the unit is 12 amps at 240 volts. Not sure if the state parks have 240 volt connections ?
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:44 pm

I believe the unit he is looking at is 120 volt. I think the HD spec sheet is wrong. http://www.ecosmartus.com/products/eco- ... oduct-tab2
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby RixPlace1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:13 pm

The 6 gal. 205$ unit is 120v and heats water to about 100-110 degrees, I have an on demand h2o in residence and I lowered the temp to 100degrees, for a week water was warm NOT HOT but we always turn on cold water to moderate the water temp so I figured I would save that added water.Showered for a week at 100deg, then for a week I upped the temp to 110deg. frankly its way hot enuf for me.
To add to the equation I set a timer at 5 minutes as soon as the water was flowing warm, in fast soaped up military style and rinsed.The whole idea works perfect for me I'm def.NOT a fan of propane or other gases in close proximity to me specially in a trailer conversion. So I planned conversion to be total electric , 4 panels on roof , 4 AGM batteries,plus a hookup from Truc alternator to batteries to charge while on hiway.I had this idea and a local auto electrical shop sed yeh we can do it ,no big deal, I wanted it primarily to power a fridge en route to anywhere,I do like my ice cream and milk cold. And I don't plan to go boondocking.Well maybe a few times o'nite
I have been taking fotos while underway,but prefer to wait till the product is 100% finished.the conversions I've seen on YouTube all finished are really first class and I want mine to be the same. I've been keeping notes of ideas Ive developed mentally and am ready as soon as this unit is completed to start another one. But want an enclosed shop inwhich to work. So Fla, in summer can be workable for me only in morning hours.
RixPlace1
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions