Luck Plates

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Luck Plates

Postby Snakebite » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:32 am

Hi, I live in Tn don't need lic plates ( on trailer )for in State ? right... Is there a certain license plate that I should get for the trailer to go out of state ??? . I went to look at my trailer it is in the slide window was messed up so it's under warranty so now I have to wait for them to get a replacement window, one of these days I will get my trailer...lol
Snakebite
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Luck Plates

Postby Snakebite » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:34 am

Heading was sospose to say Licence Plates...
Snakebite
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 am

You don't have to have a current license plate in Tennessee on a trailer? :thinking:

You sure do in Idaho and I suspect most other states. One of the reoccurring posts that pop up on this forum are threads on how to keep your teardrop from being stolen. It would sure compound the recovery challenge by law enforcement without a plate.

But to answer your question, your plate should be part of the registration of your trailer. That's the plate you need. A plate that when run, comes back to you and your trailer.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mcubberley » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:47 am

Here is a quick link I found. It appears that you must register your trailer in TN. When this occurs you are issued a plate. You will likely need a certificate of origin and your sales receipt. Most places that sell trailers will give you both at the time. A private seller will likly just sign over the title like you would a car if you are getting it from a private seller.

https://www.tn.gov/safety/article/trailerrequire
Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:31 pm

It is confusing. It looks like you dont have to register it but you do have to get a plate, specifically a Trailer E plate, which i think is good for the lifetime of the trailer. Curious.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby mcubberley » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Here it says what you say. I got lost in the legal jargon. Privately owned trailers do not require a registration but are "eligible for trailer E plates that can be personalized." So it seems neither is required but a plate is available. Must be an issue of taxation since it appears TN is only collecting tax on trailers that are for commercial use.

http://www.countyclerkanytime.com/pdf/t ... ements.pdf

I would assume if you want to avoid some hassle on out of state trips you should get the plates so that authorities see quickly that you are towing a trailer that is in some way been accounted for. I think a trailer without plates would be more likely to be checked on by police or patrol then one with plates. But then again trailers are a new thing to me.
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby low277 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:42 pm

In Minnesota if trailer is rated at under 3000 lbs they issue a lifetime sticker that you put on the drivers side of the tongue.
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby Pinstriper » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:51 pm

mcubberley wrote: I think a trailer without plates would be more likely to be checked on by police or patrol then one with plates.

So....what exactly would they check ? They can't run a plate. They could pull up alongside and see my OR plates, which would be a dead giveaway for them to go look elsewhere.

In OR under 1800# without living quarters (ie. bed and kitchen) there is no registration. I went to DMV with the bill of sale from TX on a trailer I got off CL. I asked to register, they said it has a VIN, so could be registered, but was not required as mine had no kitchen. Toting a camp store does not count and there is no galley. No sink. No bed, for that matter. It's just a box with an air mattress and sleeping bag. I'm considered a utility trailer, not an RV.

DMV said the worst that could happen is they could require me to go to weigh station to establish the weight is below their requirement. But the sticker on the tongue showing the max weight on the axles would be a pretty good argument to counter that. It would take a particularly dim trooper to waste his time on your. The state you are driving in can't compel you to register a trailer and mount a plate any more than they can compel you to have a front plate on your car when it isn't required in your home state. Pretty much word for word from the DMV people.

My read is the farther you are from home, the more likely a trooper would see no plates, pull to the side to get your t.v. plates, maybe run those, then conclude your home state doesn't require plates and would go on their merry way.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Luck Plates

Postby mcubberley » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Pinstriper wrote:
mcubberley wrote: I think a trailer without plates would be more likely to be checked on by police or patrol then one with plates.

So....what exactly would they check ? They can't run a plate. They could pull up alongside and see my OR plates, which would be a dead giveaway for them to go look elsewhere.

In OR under 1800# without living quarters (ie. bed and kitchen) there is no registration. I went to DMV with the bill of sale from TX on a trailer I got off CL. I asked to register, they said it has a VIN, so could be registered, but was not required as mine had no kitchen. Toting a camp store does not count and there is no galley. No sink. No bed, for that matter. It's just a box with an air mattress and sleeping bag. I'm considered a utility trailer, not an RV.

DMV said the worst that could happen is they could require me to go to weigh station to establish the weight is below their requirement. But the sticker on the tongue showing the max weight on the axles would be a pretty good argument to counter that. It would take a particularly dim trooper to waste his time on your. The state you are driving in can't compel you to register a trailer and mount a plate any more than they can compel you to have a front plate on your car when it isn't required in your home state. Pretty much word for word from the DMV people.

My read is the farther you are from home, the more likely a trooper would see no plates, pull to the side to get your t.v. plates, maybe run those, then conclude your home state doesn't require plates and would go on their merry way.

You raise good points. I don't recall suggesting a state would try to cite you or require to register in that state. That would be fun wouldn't it, I can only imagine the nightmares. The plates would simply make identifying home state that much easier. No need to pull alongside. But at the end of the day if you're not doing anything illegal there is no reason to worry.

I would like the plates/VIN sticker as proof of ownership in odd situations like suspected theft. I guess being from a state that requires titling a trailer I have gotten used to the idea.
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:52 pm

Its actually illegal for a state other than your home state to require trailer registration (except commercial permits). There's federal law stating that you cannot be ticketed or anything in your home.staye if your vehicle/trailer meets your home state requirements.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Pinstriper » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:28 pm

mcubberley wrote:You raise good points. I don't recall suggesting a state would try to cite you or require to register in that state. That would be fun wouldn't it, I can only imagine the nightmares. The plates would simply make identifying home state that much easier. No need to pull alongside. But at the end of the day if you're not doing anything illegal there is no reason to worry.

I would like the plates/VIN sticker as proof of ownership in odd situations like suspected theft. I guess being from a state that requires titling a trailer I have gotten used to the idea.

Maybe I read something into your post that you didn't intend, with the worry about out of state police. If it wasn't about stopping you because you had no plates, I guess I'm even more puzzled about the concern (and no I wasn't suggesting they would want you to register in their state, but yours).

As far as theft goes, given the amount of effort they put into solving car theft cases, I would set your expectations very low about them looking for your trailer.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvT_VOJaXvs[/youtube]
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby EZDog » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:05 am

Here in Missouri there is a distinction between Cargo & RV trailers which certainly require current plates and trailers that are considered machinery by themselves,usually as part of other machines too like Stump grinders or Light Trailers or a Ditch Witch trailer that the device requires for use but the line is not all too clear to say the least between many of them either.

I can't imagine an advantage to not having a valid plate if they offer one though either?
They are not expensive and provide instant credibility/accountability of some kind to law enforcement when they see one on your trailer.
I would rather the issue not even arise than need to try to explain it on the side of the road somewhere whether deserved or not.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:35 am

"The state you are driving in can't compel you to register a trailer and mount a plate any more than they can compel you to have a front plate on your car when it isn't required in your home state. Pretty much word for word from the DMV people."

This may be true but l find with canoes, if the state you're paddling in requires registration, it may require it regardless that your home state doesn't. Very inconsistent state to state.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Snakebite » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi Thank you all for the input.
Snakebite
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Snakebite » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:20 am

Okay in Tennessee to change the title to my name from the dealers it's $11. you have to get a plate with changing the title to your name 19.95 you don't have to register it every year if you're not going out of state if going out of state you have to keep the registration up Kathy in Tn..Ps you can't get personal plates on a trailer.
Snakebite
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions