All Aluminum might be a non-starter for me

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

All Aluminum might be a non-starter for me

Postby Grummy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:02 pm

I'd like to tackle a cargo trailer build next, but frankly, I'm not seeing what I need from any of the all aluminum manufacturers..... a Narrow Axle option for the 7 foot wide trailers. I can not make a 6' wide work for me (and wife) no matter what floor plans I have drawn.

I've got a parking spot to wiggle into, that I currently wiggle a 7' wide by 21' Long truck into, but I have my doubts I can wiggle in a 7' wide body with an 8'6" wide axle sticking out 9" on each side. I'm confident that I can back a 7 wide (wheel wells into trailer) x 14-16 foot travel trailer into the area because I have done so in the past.

I'm downsizing from a truck based conversion and trying to restrict Gross weight of the trailer to 3600lbs, so this is where the Aluminum trailer could really help me out. As things are looking grim, I'm starting to look at 7' wide travel/trailer/cargo haulers like the Spree Escape or Travel-Lite models. They are keeping these trailers to under 2500lbs empty, which comes close to my needs. Floor plans and quality however miss my mark.

I think the aluminum trailer guys are missing an opportunity with the conversion crowd. Here are some things I would certainly pay for if they would make them available:

1. A 7' wide option with the tires buried flush the same as the 8'-6" trailers.
They do similar for many concession trailers, but those I have seen are all at least 8' wide

2. A flat front trailer, with a V-Nose shaped, 3 sided, tongue mounted enclosed LOCKER option.
This would be perfect for a safer "furnace room" environment... batteries, gen set, furnace and hot water heaters, Etc.

3. A low tow-able roof line with a pop up roof.
They make some of the prettiest "motorcycle" trailers, standing 50" or so inside. Not sure If they understand that a lot of toy hauler types wouldn't mind having a raising roof. It would seem not. I may be doing it myself. It's not rocket science, and there are some pretty simple pop-up ready mades one could utilize.

Or... has anyone been engaged with an all alumium trailer builder actually willing to make such changes without robbing one blind ? I'd be willing to fork over money on a very good base verses even more money on a conventional stick built, soon to be leaky, spongey floored "travel trailer".
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Re: All Aluminum might be a non-starter for me

Postby Padilen » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:54 pm

Some snowmobile trailers have wheels under and all aluminum.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Grummy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:08 pm

Unfortunately I need, IN and not UNDER. Under skyrockets the over all height and number of steps required to reach the load floor. Perfect for snowmobiles... not so much for a conversion... unless the conversion was for expeditions / Off Roading maybe.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby fourbtgait » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:24 pm

A horse trailer manufacturer. Possibly Featherlite who also builds cargo.
I wanted a 6' with wheels in. No such thing. One manufacturer told me they only do that on 7' or wider
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby Pinstriper » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Our "big" trailer is a Camplite 14dbs. 7 feet wide at the hubcaps. All aluminum. Frame, walls, floor, roof, cabinets. They are using some sort of composite now for the floors and a rubber roof, more's the pity as they add a lot of weight. Ours is 2600# dry, we run her around 3700 loaded up and full tanks. Current spec is up over 3,000# dry now. They did make 11 and 13' models. You might look there for ideas to borrow. I think you may well be starting with raw materials and fabbing your own trailer, however.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby Spotman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Pinstriper, do you have any photos of yours, sounds interesting?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby Grummy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:39 pm

I have seen the Camplites from the "good era". The thing is, Travel trailer builders have made 7' wide O.A. units for as far as any of us can remember. The cargo industry must be lazy... or, perhaps they think no one noticed yet ?

If I could find a "hybrid" perhaps... steel frame, full aluminum box construction, I'd easily be able to modify it myself... but there too, only the travel trailer guys seem to be doing this. I think the problem with myself doing an aluminum modification is that they run the frame rails out at the perimeter on the 7 footers.... and I bet they use the seven footer frame layout to make their 8 footers by welding additional frame supports out to the 8 foot edges.

I think I'll be in a "built by amish craftsmen model" at this rate... not that there is anything wrong with "amish crafstmen"..... the problem is from the quality cuts by bean counters.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Pinstriper » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:07 am

Spotman wrote:Pinstriper, do you have any photos of yours, sounds interesting?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ya that's right. Under 3k # dry and has dual axles, rides like a dream. Box is 15' and nose to bumper is 18' and change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby EZDog » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:15 am

Grummy wrote:I have seen the Camplites from the "good era". The thing is, Travel trailer builders have made 7' wide O.A. units for as far as any of us can remember. The cargo industry must be lazy... or, perhaps they think no one noticed yet ?

If I could find a "hybrid" perhaps... steel frame, full aluminum box construction, I'd easily be able to modify it myself... but there too, only the travel trailer guys seem to be doing this. I think the problem with myself doing an aluminum modification is that they run the frame rails out at the perimeter on the 7 footers.... and I bet they use the seven footer frame layout to make their 8 footers by welding additional frame supports out to the 8 foot edges.

I think I'll be in a "built by amish craftsmen model" at this rate... not that there is anything wrong with "amish crafstmen"..... the problem is from the quality cuts by bean counters.

You make it sound like they are missing some huge market for this exact trailer size but I am pretty sure we are not even on their Radar,they design for cargo trailers not goofballs like us?

I am also guessing they are more than satisfied selling trailers to people who just run the wheels off of them as they are built but not those of us who modify them into something they are simply not intended to be.
We are likely a nightmare to the manufacturers the minute we start changing and adding things and any further contact we have with them is likely just problems for them too.

If there were demand there might be supply.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:51 pm

I'd say go custom from the ground up, start with the axle/wheel set you want and get a good aluminum fabricator to make a chassis to spec.

I'd love the same but need 7.5" wide
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebar » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Grummy wrote:I'd like to tackle a cargo trailer build next, but frankly, I'm not seeing what I need from any of the all aluminum manufacturers..... a Narrow Axle option for the 7 foot wide trailers. I can not make a 6' wide work for me (and wife) no matter what floor plans I have drawn.

I've got a parking spot to wiggle into, that I currently wiggle a 7' wide by 21' Long truck into, but I have my doubts I can wiggle in a 7' wide body with an 8'6" wide axle sticking out 9" on each side. I'm confident that I can back a 7 wide (wheel wells into trailer) x 14-16 foot travel trailer into the area because I have done so in the past.

I'm downsizing from a truck based conversion and trying to restrict Gross weight of the trailer to 3600lbs, so this is where the Aluminum trailer could really help me out. As things are looking grim, I'm starting to look at 7' wide travel/trailer/cargo haulers like the Spree Escape or Travel-Lite models. They are keeping these trailers to under 2500lbs empty, which comes close to my needs. Floor plans and quality however miss my mark.

I think the aluminum trailer guys are missing an opportunity with the conversion crowd. Here are some things I would certainly pay for if they would make them available:

1. A 7' wide option with the tires buried flush the same as the 8'-6" trailers.
They do similar for many concession trailers, but those I have seen are all at least 8' wide

2. A flat front trailer, with a V-Nose shaped, 3 sided, tongue mounted enclosed LOCKER option.
This would be perfect for a safer "furnace room" environment... batteries, gen set, furnace and hot water heaters, Etc.

3. A low tow-able roof line with a pop up roof.
They make some of the prettiest "motorcycle" trailers, standing 50" or so inside. Not sure If they understand that a lot of toy hauler types wouldn't mind having a raising roof. It would seem not. I may be doing it myself. It's not rocket science, and there are some pretty simple pop-up ready mades one could utilize.

Or... has anyone been engaged with an all alumium trailer builder actually willing to make such changes without robbing one blind ? I'd be willing to fork over money on a very good base verses even more money on a conventional stick built, soon to be leaky, spongey floored "travel trailer".

Wow, hey, we both are looking for the same thing called the "narrow track" option. 7' wide with wheel under the trailer in wheel wells instead of outside in ugly fenders making it just as wide as a 8' trailer. Pace and carson still make narrow tracks but pace is look now so Carson's probably better built. Both are special order but I don't trust either. I do trust Jensen though.. But with Jensen I'm looking at over 9k for a 7x16 but with 8 lug axles 16" wheels RV door and windows etc.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby StrongFeather » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:35 pm

John61CT wrote:I'd say go custom from the ground up, start with the axle/wheel set you want and get a good aluminum fabricator to make a chassis to spec.

I agree with John. I built an all aluminum custom frame from ground up. No special tools needed. If you can handle a trailer conversion, you could certainly build a trailer frame exactly as you need it. But then you’ll have to build the walls, etc... which is a big undertaking.

Good luck!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build Journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71138
Composite Panel Construction Technique viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71192

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
~Red Green
StrongFeather
Teardrop Master

Postby Zipline65 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:09 pm

Check out WEEroll out of Ocala, Florida. We have a small all aluminum from them and love it. Give Tom Cafaro a call. weeroll.com or on FB.
Zipline65
Silver Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions