Stranded vs. Solid Core Wire

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Stranded vs. Solid Core Wire

Postby phoenixbound » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:56 am

When running wire in trailer for accessories, outlets, lights, etc what is the rule of thumb for when to use stranded wire vs. when solid core is acceptable? I plan to run some wire for 110 outlets, but I would like to also run some wire for future add-ons that will be 12 V. I am thinking 10 AWG stranded for the 12 V stuff, but should stranded also be used for the 110 V stuff? Thank you.
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Re: Stranded vs. Solid Core Wire

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:39 am

Stranded pulls and flexes easier. Solid is slightly easier to terminate. Stranded costs slightly more. Both work.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Viper_Twig » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:45 am

10awg is overkill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:10 am

10awg is pretty big for almost any 12v load. Good for solar charging, 12v reefers, high loads and long runs. 14 covers most 12v fans, lights etc. up to 20amp. max. Stranded is easier to work with and handles stresses such as vibration better.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:31 pm

I would never use solid in a mobile context.

Marine grade tinned stranded UL1426 Type 3 only, just get three or four gauges in 100' spools, last many projects.

And quality connectors, terminators and crimpers only.

If you're only doing a few runs, not worth stocking up, use genuinedealz.com for custom length to your specs.

Blue Sea has a great app for calculating wire gauge, based on Amps and run length.

Larger gauges than the minimum required for safety help reduce voltage drops, so #10 is frequently called for in properly wired setups.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:04 pm

Note that every commercially manufactured RV I have had occasion to tinker with has used solid Romex type wires for the AC circuits, and the usual stranded core automotive type wire for the DC circuits.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:33 pm

I was talking about the 12V, but personally would pay the little extra for AC as well even if amps are lower, just too much vibration going on for solid, on nick and months or years later, boom flopping around.

OEM is all about cost cutting, have seen horrifying stuff done by manufacturers I'd never want for myself, so that's no authority to go by.

You never see solid on boats, where there is actually some regulation of the industry. Nor airplanes, even more so. Ask an insurance adjustor what they'd prefer. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby phoenixbound » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks for the comments. So, all of the wiring should be strand within the trailer? AC and DC? I don't plan on a lot of additional wiring, but I will have some. I plan to take off the side plywood to add insulation and while I have the plywood off I would like to set up a few things for the future. I may add a air conditioner in the future and I want to route the wire for it while I am there. Within the trailer it doesn't seem like there would be much motion or vibration.

John61CT wrote:I was talking about the 12V, but personally would pay the little extra for AC as well even if amps are lower, just too much vibration going on for solid, on nick and months or years later, boom flopping around.

OEM is all about cost cutting, have seen horrifying stuff done by manufacturers I'd never want for myself, so that's no authority to go by.

You never see solid on boats, where there is actually some regulation of the industry. Nor airplanes, even more so. Ask an insurance adjustor what they'd prefer. . .
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby m.colley » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 pm

I used both stranded and solid in my build. The 120V AC was done in romex and the 12V DC in stranded.
If I was to build another I'd run stranded in the correct size. Why?? Just because the stranded is easier to run and work with. This is just my opinion. As some others said, use the correct connectors/terminals and crimpers. I bought a inexpensive pair of ratcheting crimpers and wouldn't trade them for anything. The jaws are interchangeable and you can find them easily on amazon, ebay etc. I used un-insulated terminals/connectors and heat shrinked them.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions