Carry On 7x16 Spartan build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Carry On 7x16 Spartan build

Postby birddog1148 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 pm

Let me start off complementing al of you who are building such nice campers. I promise I will not try to one up anyone, I think my vision will seem very course and uncivilised. I want to maintain as much of the original cargo carrying capacity of the trailer as I can. Plans include insulatio n and some electric, a couple windows, a roof vent, my cabinetry will probably be a couple Sterilite dressers with a countertop above. I do plan on putting a small Stack On gun cabinet in the nose for hunting trips and when I travel to go to matches. I have an idea for some fold up bunk bed cots and a rear canvas wall, but an old futon will get me off the floor for now. I have a small portable toilet, a folding table and chairs, some water jugs and a propane stove. When I told my youngest brother I bought a trailer and my idea he already started thinking of a hunting trip to our fathers land in Canada just outside of Saul St Marie. As I told someone else, my idea is a camper just a tad more luxurious than the drop camp we hunted from on our Elk hunt last year.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk
I deny your reality and substitute my own!

We the willing, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Carry On 7x16 Spartan build

Postby birddog1148 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:30 pm

birddog1148 wrote:Let me start off complementing al of you who are building such nice campers. I promise I will not try to one up anyone, I think my vision will seem very course and uncivilised. I want to maintain as much of the original cargo carrying capacity of the trailer as I can. Plans include insulatio n and some electric, a couple windows, a roof vent, my cabinetry will probably be a couple Sterilite dressers with a countertop above. I do plan on putting a small Stack On gun cabinet in the nose for hunting trips and when I travel to go to matches. I have an idea for some fold up bunk bed cots and a rear canvas wall, but an old futon will get me off the floor for now. I have a small portable toilet, a folding table and chairs, some water jugs and a propane stove. When I told my youngest brother I bought a trailer and my idea he already started thinking of a hunting trip to our fathers land in Canada just outside of Saul St Marie. As I told someone else, my idea is a camper just a tad more luxurious than the drop camp we hunted from on our Elk hunt last year.

Pics since my tablet woul be not let me include themImageImageImage

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

We the willing, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lrrowe » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:40 pm

I kinda started off with that concept, but things soon changed when I got moving along and I ended way beyond that.
For your possible northern hunting trips you will appreciate all the thought you can give to insulation. I do not regret my insulated floors and my 6" of ceiling insulation. It really paid off while out there in my VA 20 degree nights.

The other basic thing I would encourage you to consider is to allow for all your wiring needs before you put in the insulation and all the wall boards back. Even of you say no now, I will bet, you will wish many wires were there down the road.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby birddog1148 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:42 pm

I plan on wiring it up, even planning some USB outlets, I guess I should have indicated an electrical system of some sort will be included, 12v and 110. I have a couple generators and I think one of the Harbor Freight solar panel kits may be an option. I was even thinking some led light strips. But once it's insulated a wired I want everything else to be removable. I have to go measure my Baja bug to see if it will fit, would be awesome to take it in the trailer to the Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan.

birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Better hurry, summer made a fast exit.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby birddog1148 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Planning a trip next August right after I turn 50. Want to take the West Michigan Pile up to Traverse City

birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby birddog1148 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:44 pm

birddog1148 wrote:Planning a trip next August right after I turn 50. Want to take the West Michigan Pile up to Traverse City

Pike

birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby birddog1148 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:04 pm

Portholes, has anyone used them? Seen some on ebay and thinking of trying some but looking for advice against if it is warranted.

birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby birddog1148 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 pm

birddog1148 wrote:Portholes, has anyone used them? Seen some on ebay and thinking of trying some but looking for advice against if it is warranted.

https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-Rectangle-Portlight-Porthole-Replacement/dp/B00OHN9E7Q/ref=pd_sim_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OHN9E7Q&pd_rd_r=J401Z0R7J2TQHPWGBN8W&pd_rd_w=vDbP8&pd_rd_wg=vtEg0&psc=1&refRID=J401Z0R7J2TQHPWGBN8W

That is what I was looking at

birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:11 pm

birddog1148, Howdy;

Looked at what you posted in the link, didn't see any mention of screens ....
I'd rather keep as many bugs outdoors as I can. Don't generally have many
insects out on the ocean.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby beachguy005 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm

birddog1148 wrote:
birddog1148 wrote:Portholes, has anyone used them? Seen some on ebay and thinking of trying some but looking for advice against if it is warranted.

https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-Rectangle-Portlight-Porthole-Replacement/dp/B00OHN9E7Q/ref=pd_sim_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OHN9E7Q&pd_rd_r=J401Z0R7J2TQHPWGBN8W&pd_rd_w=vDbP8&pd_rd_wg=vtEg0&psc=1&refRID=J401Z0R7J2TQHPWGBN8W

That is what I was looking at

I was going to use them but I didn't care for the way they install. I have 2 of them if you're interested. You can have them for free but we'll just need to figure the best way for you to pay the freight. I'm in SW Florida.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby birddog1148 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Brachguy, pm sent

birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby birddog1148 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Dang fat fingers, bad eyes and my phone. I meant Beachguy

birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby birddog1148 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:35 pm

Had my "kids" in it last night.Image

birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NO David! » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:52 am

Welcome!

As far as keeping the cargo capability at the ready, consider adding vertical e-track. This has been amazingly handy in ours, allowing us to easily un-clip cots, even the Air Conditioner "closet". You can attach, hang, or tie down lots of stuff. We had our windows and RV door put in at the factory, but you could still do it on yours. The offset of the windows combined with a fantastic fan roof vent makes a great cross-flow. The RV door ended up being money well spent. We switch from camping to mountain biking, or kayaking, then convert it over to load lawn mowers for our turn to mow grass at the church, or whatever else we can come up with. Next project will be a small sink stand with water tanks and pump that attaches to one of my e-track sections making it modular. I didn't insulate the floor, but after a mid 20's camp trip in windy conditions, I learned what a great heat sink material a plywood floor is! I purchased a 6' wide x 16' large commercial rubber/carpet mat and it is surprising how well it insulates.
Details here: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions