FlyBye's 7x16 Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

FlyBye's 7x16 Build

Postby FlyBye » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Well the anticipation is over... I was fortunate enough to be able to drive down to South Georgia and pick up the trailer September 8, 2017 and make it back home without personally meeting Irma, Hurricane Irma, that is!

I ended up leaving about five hours later than I had originally planned, but I wanted to make sure I had enough supplies in the truck in case I got stranded. Some things you can't plan for, but other things you can. I wasn't actually sure where I would be spending that first night, but my goal was to be able to get within at least an hour of the pick up sight. So with that goal in mind, my aim was to just take one mile at a time and see how far I could make it without being a liability on the road.

The trailer folks had told me earlier that motels were booked up due to folks fleeing Florida, but I thought that I could probably find myself a spot to stealth camp if I could find myself a safe and clean place to shower. I knew that Loves Truck Stops probably had the nicest private showers available for professional drivers so I used an app to locate where the Loves Truck Stops and the Walmarts that allowed overnight parking were.

By the time I hit I-75, South of Atlanta, I was beginning to get a little nervous. All three of the I-75 Northbound lanes were packed like sardines and appeared to be moving at a snail's pace. For several hours I drove further and further South on I-75 only to see the North bound lanes still packed with few if any gaps between vehicles. Concerns of running out of gas, the ability to find bulk water and bread were already beginning to become reality in certain locations.

I decided to drive a little past my intended exit to where I knew there was both a Loves Truck Stop and a Walmart that "flboy" had just stayed at about a week earlier, so I knew that it would be conducive for a decent nights rest. I stopped at the Loves Truck Stop first only to find that it looked similar to folks having a tailgate party right after a national championship ball game. Crazy would be an understatement! There wasn't a parking spot anywhere on the car side and people were already stack-parking behind folks where you would be unable to leave if you wanted to. I drove around to the Trucker's side since I knew they wouldn't put up with that kind of rip-raft. I soon found out the others had the same idea and followed. I asked the clerk inside if it would be possible to get a shower within a few hours (before 6 am). She showed me the backlog and politely let me know that it was doubtful. Back out side I couldn't close my eyes due to folks blocking me in... it was time for "Plan B"!

I knew that there wouldn't be any hope at that particular Walmart either, so after a few miles on I-75 North, I took some back roads to Fitzgerald, GA. They were far enough out of the way, they had a Walmart, plus I would be picking up the trailer not far from there. I have a very nice "Bedrug" for the truck bed that is plenty comfy to sleep on, so I made my way back, crawled in, fluffed up my pillow and set my alarm on the phone. I only got an hour and half of sleep that morning and it was time to move on.

Here is my Personal Peaceful Spot! I really can't call it camping with only one and one half hour shut eye, but it sure was a blessing after a long day and night drive.
Attachments
Overnight Parking - Fitzgerald GA Walmart.jpg
Overnight Parking - Fitzgerald GA Walmart.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 8466 times
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Re: FlyBye's 7x16 Build

Postby FlyBye » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:46 pm

With Hurricane Irma on her way up, traffic increasing hourly and anxious for a hot shower and some sleep... I couldn't wait to get on the road again! So anxious, that I even forgot to take some photos at the dealership. I was looking forward to taking some nice photos before leaving, but I didn't even take one while I was there!

After driving a while and needing a brief stretch of the legs and distancing myself away from much of the Florida Exodus, I thought it might be a good time to take a few photos.

Colony Cargo Trailer 7x16x7
Attachments
Front Sharp Vee.jpg
Front Sharp Vee.jpg (160.1 KiB) Viewed 8430 times
Driver Side.jpg
Driver Side.jpg (161.25 KiB) Viewed 8430 times
Back.jpg
Back.jpg (98 KiB) Viewed 8430 times
Last edited by FlyBye on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby FlyBye » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Both Tow Vehicle and Cargo Trailer...
Attachments
Passenger Side.jpg
Passenger Side.jpg (152.7 KiB) Viewed 8430 times
Last edited by FlyBye on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby FlyBye » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:24 pm

FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build:

We looked at several trailers online and in person, spoke with several dealers but I am glad we went with the folks at Colony Cargo. My father and mother purchased their trailer before me so my wife and I could examine and even camp in theirs before we got ours just to make sure the quality was what we were expecting. We were and continue to be well pleased. Colony Cargo is a family run business where they understand service is their business. They were all a joy to work with and I without reservations would endorse them and their Arising Trailers. They sell others, but their Arising Trailers is all I have had experience with.

Colony Cargo Trailers
Fitzgerald, Georgia
800-618-2186

7x16x7 Sharp V-Nose
Tandem Axle
Front/Rear Corners Covered with ATP (Aluminum Tread Plate)
24" ATP Stoneguard Front
15"x30" Tinted Window with Screen
30"x30" Tinted Window with Screen
15,000 BTU AC unit with Heat Strip
Non-Powered Roof Vent
L.E.D. Lights on Entire Trailer (Fender, Backup, Turning, Brake)
Radial 205/75R/15 tires with Spare
32"x78" Side Door with RV Flush Locks
Removable Screws
Double Rear Barn Doors with Bar Lock
Thermacool Ceiling
Charcoal Gray
.030 Semi Screwless
7 feet Inside Height
Trailer Tongue Extended 24 Inches
All Steel Tube Construction (No Z Channel; No C Channel; No Hat Post)
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Very Nice! Loved the travel story. :applause: That's when you know a man is anxious to get his ctc started, when he is willing to brave the hurricane traffic to get his trailer. :lol:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:14 pm

I too enjoyed reading your story ... you are a good writer. I now look forward to reading your build! :applause:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby FlyBye » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:15 pm

... I drove, drove and drove until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. I made it up to Chelsea, Alabama and thought that might be far enough away to avoid any "Gator Fans", but believe it or not each time I stopped somewhere for gas, there were at least 90-95% of the vehicles there refueling and I continued to see that same pattern on into Mississippi.

Back to Chelsea, Alabama... I set up a cot that I had brought, unrolled my sleeping bag, fluffed up my pillow , ate a bite and called my wife while reclining in a camp chair... all from the comfort of our brand spanking new Cargo Trailer. Hurricane Irma had brought in some unseasonable cool evening temps that were just perfect for camping. So it's needless to say, I opened the windows and slept like a baby until about 6 am that next morning. I had the alarm set for 5 am, but I must have hit snooze and forgot to reset it. What a joy just to wake up without any Artificial Apocalyptic Sounds!

I made it back home safe and sound and will be praying for all those who will be unable to for some time. It's one thing to see storm victims on TV and another to either know some personally and or see their faces and hear their stories while at the gas pumps. Cars filled up, kids, pets and all the personal items they could pack... each one a precious soul and each one with a story to tell!
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby FlyBye » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Thank you both Iconfabul8 and featherliteCT1,
I can't wait to get into the build, but let me tell ya about something cool I saw time and time again...

I can't remember the town to save my life, but I do remember making a pit-stop at one of the WalMarts and seeing one of those Charter Buses in the parking lot. There were at least 4-5 of the fellas out beside the bus throwing a football around. I first thought that it might be a college team on their way to a big game, but as I got closer I realized these fellas were a wee bit older for the College Grid Iron. I didn't see any Pro Logos, so I just drove to the other side so my truck wouldn't be hit with a stray ball.

When I got inside the store, I noticed several of the fellas all dressed alike. Same britches (like paramedics) and all with the same T-Shirts. The T-Shirts said they were California Fire Men. I'm sure they were probably from different stations, but all from California. How Cool Is That! Apparently, they were hanging out there to find out what exact path Irma would take so they could stage properly for the maximum assistance.

I saw time and time again, scenes just like this one. Some were convoys of bucket trucks from who knows where, and others convoys with at least 50 brand new pick-up trucks with badges on the side (federal?), all pulling what looked like brand new aluminum rescue boats all flashing blue lights going down the Highway. And as wonderful as this was to see, I'm sure it just pales in comparison to the hundreds and thousands who volunteer on the front line and behind the scenes. My thought and prayers are for those who need the help and for those who are giving the help. I pray that all the situations and circumstances from both Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma will draw families closer, but most importantly closer to the LORD!

Now... On with the Cargo Trailer Build!
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Amen!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:23 pm

Sounds like a very cool experience. It is funny how a trip/experience like that can turn a few inconveniences into a new perspective on life.

So any layout plans for the ctc?
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby McDave » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:20 pm

I gotta say, I foresee amazing things coming for you and your trailer. What are the odds that a simple turn around pick up drive would turn into such an adventure? Just an epic beginning to the start of your journeys. If you ever had any doubt about your decision to go this route, I am sure they have been settled. You were meant to do this.
God knows what he is doing.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby FlyBye » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:59 am

Iconfabul8 wrote:...So any layout plans for the ctc?

We have had plans drawn out on paper for years without a trailer to implement them on! Now comes the scary part... measure 27 times and cut only 9... and a half!

The other night, my wife and I just sat out in the trailer enjoying the breeze while talking about any options other than what we had originally considered before we officially start the demolition. We held our Blue Tape, our Trusty Harbor Freight Free Tape Measure and talked a bit. The windows were placed at certain spots to accommodate certain items like a kitchen counter and a dining table, but we noticed that the interior dimensions were a tad off of our regular plans. We can still make everything work, but we will just have to improvise a bit. So once we figure out who is getting the 6 foot long bed and who is getting the 3 foot long bed, we should be set... No, No, No... just kidding! No fetal position sleeping in this trailer... hopefully!

So even though we have a design layout on paper, putting the tape down really put things in perspective for us. We have had to "nip & tuck" a few areas and are still tweaking a little here and there before the walls come down for insulation. Speaking of insulation... dude!, the XPS stuff isn't cheap. Plus, It looks like I've got to order it. It's going to be a slow build due to available time, cash flow and a severe deficit of a builder's aptitude! Other than that, I'm ready to "Rock N Roll"! We already have the floor picked out, counter top (still looking for the right sink) color picked out, wall color picked out and curtain color picked out.

McDave wrote:I gotta say, I foresee amazing things coming for you and your trailer. What are the odds that a simple turn around pick up drive would turn into such an adventure? Just an epic beginning to the start of your journeys. If you ever had any doubt about your decision to go this route, I am sure they have been settled. You were meant to do this. God knows what he is doing.
McDave

McDave,
I appreciate the kind words... and that would make a wonderful epitaph, but I'm NOT the ideal candidate for this project, I'm just a simple fella that has been inspired by some of the workmanship, craftsmanship and nifty ideas that float on this forum. I'm still trying to color inside the lines! Due to my carpentry inadequacies, this project excites me, humbles me and scares the living tar out of me! But you are correct when you say that "God knows what He is doing." He is Omniscient (all knowing) and Almighty (all powerful)! It isn't His credentials or abilities that I'm concerned about... Just Mine! :-) We are going to try and keep it as simple as we can and still allow my wife to feel like she isn't completely roughing it. Our Little Romantic Getaway, a Tin Tent with a Toilet!
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby FlyBye » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:44 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:...So any layout plans for the ctc?

Not a whole lot to show, but this along with where we want the electrical outlets to be (not shown) will get us started. I've just got to get the XPS insulation in before I start taking off the walls.
Attachments
Blue Tape Special II.jpg
Blue Tape Special II.jpg (127.28 KiB) Viewed 8155 times
Blue Tape Special I.jpg
Blue Tape Special I.jpg (129.37 KiB) Viewed 8155 times
Proposed Floor Plan.jpg
Proposed Floor Plan.jpg (64.33 KiB) Viewed 8155 times
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby FlyBye » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:45 pm

And one extra one...
Attachments
Blue Tape Special III.jpg
Blue Tape Special III.jpg (131.08 KiB) Viewed 8153 times
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:13 pm

FlyBye wrote: :-) We are going to try and keep it as simple as we can and still allow my wife to feel like she isn't completely roughing it. Our Little Romantic Getaway, a Tin Tent with a Toilet!

Hey! I got one of those. ... :thumbsup: ...

So you got your blue tape and a HF tape measure and faith. That's all ya need. A little give, a little take and the ability to learn, and maybe some hand tools, you got it. It's not all about the destination, it's the journey you will remember. That's where the growth takes place. ... ;) ...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions