Vent Fan AC/DC

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Vent Fan AC/DC

Postby gbowman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 pm

I am wanting to install a vent fan. All I have been able to find are DC powered. My setup is AC powered only.
Any thoughts on finding an AC powered fan or suggestions on AC to DC conversion that is safe and inexpensive?
gbowman
Teardrop Builder

Re: Vent Fan AC/DC

Postby John61CT » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:01 pm

It's called a 12V power supply, usually puts out 13-14.

Just need to find out the Amps consumed, 5x margin for startup and google.

Samlex and Mean Well are good.

Or a little battery + charger would let it keep working when the mains power is out.

Usually if someone just wanted one, I would say make the whole thing 12V DC, works in both scenarios.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:00 am

Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby low277 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:19 pm

I have a portable 12 volt battery pack with jumper cables and a air compressor, I bought it a few years ago and it's been pretty handy. I recently used it on a 1 week trip to power the lights in my trailer as well as a fantastic fan. I used it for lights a couple of hours a day and light fan use. 4th night I fell asleep with the fan on low and it ran all night so I did recharge the battery pak the next day. Hopefully next season will have a larger deep cycle battery and a solar panel on the roof.

STANLEY J5C09 Jump Starter: 1000 Peak/500 Instant Amps, 120 PSI Air Compressor
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby Gladtobehere » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Yep. Those 12 v booster packs are indispensible. LED lights for a long time. A very small fan for a long time. They bost cars and pump tires as well.

Never leave home without one!

Ohhhh. Mine has a USB plug for charging phones etc.
Gladtobehere
Teardrop Advisor

Postby EZDog » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Most of the jump pack are just a 9ah or 18ah SLA battery and charger along with the other stuff that each one might add to them.
It is pretty simple and cheap to just source one yourself if the portability is not the main concern.

I just scored 8-80ah AGM batteries from a fire alarm panel routine changout that are going to make each of my trailer projects come to life and for under $30 each too!
They will charge form AC,Solar and who knows what else.

Diligent use of CL is my friend!

All I am really getting at is that any rig that does not make use of cheap and easy 12vdc is really missing part of the point I think.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby ae6black » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:26 am

I had the same issue. What I ended up doing was buying a small box fan from Walmart and tying it up next to my vent. While not much for looks, (face it is jury rigged) it makes the TD bearable in warmer weather. I built my unit expressly to hunt out of in the fall and winter months. Wasn't planning to use it at all during the warmer months. But since building the thing, I've discovered I use it more and more as a second bedroom while staying at relatives homes. During those nights when the temps don't get below 70 or 80, the jury rigged box fan makes it possible to sleep at night. Fan is also not unbearable regarding noise. You just need AC to power it.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:45 am

EZDog wrote:Most of the jump pack are just a 9ah or 18ah SLA battery and charger along with the other stuff that each one might add to them.
It is pretty simple and cheap to just source one yourself if the portability is not the main concern.

I just scored 8-80ah AGM batteries from a fire alarm panel routine changout that are going to make each of my trailer projects come to life and for under $30 each too!
They will charge form AC,Solar and who knows what else.

Diligent use of CL is my friend!

All I am really getting at is that any rig that does not make use of cheap and easy 12vdc is really missing part of the point I think.

+1 :thumbsup:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby CoventryKid » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:19 pm

I used one of these to power my Maxxair fan in my all electric (110v) CT at the time.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00124P2SS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I simply cut the cigar lighter plug off and used crimp connectors to connect to the fan wiring.

Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions