Insulation Started

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Insulation Started

Postby phoenixbound » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:56 pm

Got some insulation done this weekend. 1" styrofoam R6 . Kinda fun to see how all of this works now. The other side of the V will just be a reverse of this , so I should be good to go. Kinda fun.

23 insulation.jpg
23 insulation.jpg (109.55 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Re: Insulation Started

Postby McDave » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:51 pm

Hey phoenixbound,
That is a really nice trailer. Just from what I can see it looks to be quality materials and nice clean, precision workmanship.
But just as a heads up, you may want to measure the spaces to be sure of the size. My trailer looked like it was 16" O.C., but in reality it was more like 15.75, 16.25, 15.55, 16.30, etc. etc... No two were the same. I had thought about just cutting a stack of panels all the same size. Luckily, my short attention span saved me. When I was ready to cut the 2nd panel I had forgotten the size of the first one. So I measured and it was different, went to the next panel, different again.
Like the saying goes, measure twice, then go have a beer. Come back and measure again, then cut twice. If it is still too short there must be something wrong with your tape measure.
Just sayin'...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:50 am

Thanks McDave. I guess there are two approaches. Take all of the plywood off and do the whole thing at once or take a panel, put the insulation in and put the panel back on. I will be pretty much doing one by one.I am not sure if I will have all of the insulation in before I travel to Phoenix, so need to keep it "travel ready". Also, I did find just a little bit of rust on the beams, so I bought a can of rustoleum and am spraying as I find it. I did load the Tri-Glide up Saturday and took it for 100 mile spin to see how it handled, check the brakes and mpg. It's all good. It's a load on my 06 Tacoma 4x4, but honestly it felt the same with or without the Tri-Glide in there. I got 11 MPG, that sucks but I can live with it.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby low277 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:27 pm

McDave wrote:Hey phoenixbound,
That is a really nice trailer. Just from what I can see it looks to be quality materials and nice clean, precision workmanship.
But just as a heads up, you may want to measure the spaces to be sure of the size. My trailer looked like it was 16" O.C., but in reality it was more like 15.75, 16.25, 15.55, 16.30, etc. etc... No two were the same. I had thought about just cutting a stack of panels all the same size. Luckily, my short attention span saved me. When I was ready to cut the 2nd panel I had forgotten the size of the first one. So I measured and it was different, went to the next panel, different again.
Like the saying goes, measure twice, then go have a beer. Come back and measure again, then cut twice. If it is still too short there must be something wrong with your tape measure.
Just sayin'...

McDave

My trailer is like that. Every cavity is a different size. I work at a manufacturing factory with machine shops, welding, and paint depts. The process control and quality assurance of these trailers could be improved on.
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:10 pm

low277 wrote:
McDave wrote:Hey phoenixbound,
Just sayin'...

McDave

My trailer is like that. Every cavity is a different size. I work at a manufacturing factory with machine shops, welding, and paint depts. The process control and quality assurance of these trailers could be improved on.

I agree 100%, specially since most of these things are built on jigs for consistency. Their jigs must be way off at every factory. Their quality control leaves ALOT to be desired. My old boss would cringe if he saw this kind of work.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby phoenixbound » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:33 am

Update: The opposite side was "like" the other side, but not exactly. You guys were right. The V is done, now onto the sides. Hope I don't have any issues getting the plywood back on.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions