Trailer Companies suggestions in Georgia?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Trailer Companies suggestions in Georgia?

Postby usmc70_14 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Good afternoon everyone...

I am in Florida and am looking to order a 7x12 tandem axle trailer with most goodies already installed by the dealer. The main purpose of this trailer is to serve me as a man cave / camping trailer. So I'll be installing all types entertainment electronics in it.

What companies do you guys suggest I contact?

Also, what are some tips that you would give to a newbie?

These are some of the things I'm looking for..

7' height
V nose
Extended Tongue
AC
Electrical Package
Insulated walls, ceiling and floor
Gray Carpet on floor and walls
Microwave
Sink with water faucet and 12 volt pump (no tanks)
E Track for bed as I haven't found a decent bed set up
1 window on the driver rear side
1 window on passenger side to serve as an escape hatch
Ramp door
RV style door
Ladder with hardened roof for future solar panels
Awning
12 volt wiring
Cable coax connections in and outside of the trailer
usmc70_14
Teardrop Builder

Re: Trailer Companies suggestions in Georgia?

Postby flboy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:05 pm

I bought my Cargo Trailer form Lark in Vidalia, Georgia . It is a good. well built trailer; however, they have some Quality Control issues the boiled down to attention to detail that I ended up fixing during my build.

All said, very nice trailer for the $$ and a great platform for the Conversion.

I'd recommend getting the extra foot or so in height... makes a big difference inside. Also, get the extended tounge on the trailer. They beef it up and make it longer. Helps backing up. Lastly, and I wish I did this... get a straight axle for the height off the ground instead of the drop axle. The clearance is important if you plan to take off of pave roads.

I ended up moving my axle under the spring instead of on top to give more clearance... but the straight axle ($50.00 downgrade) will give you a few more inches stock.
'I'd also get the RV door up front. I doesn't save much money to add a window later and RV latch.

Personally, I'd skip the Electrical wiring and etc. if you know anything about wiring yourself. Overpriced IMHO.

I'd also skip the large roof AC for the 7*12 trailer (usually 13,000 BTU).. Especially in Florida with the humidity. It will cool quickly and shut off leaving you damp and cold because it does not stay on long enough to remove the humidity. IMHO you would be better served if you could find an 8,000 BTU roof unit (I think they use to make them and may still?) or just get a window AC like most do and Build it in. I would recommend the roof bracing in case you ever change your mind... Bracing option is cheap and allows for some design flexibility later if needed.,

I'd also think twice before paying them to insulate. They will do a poor job (bubble wrap in some of the horror stories I have heard)and you really need to pull off the plywood to inspect, wire, and etc.. Easy enough to insulate yourself... At the very least, ensure they use real foam and it is all taped off and sealed.

Just think of structural things that you cannot add or would be difficult to add later... that should be on the top of the list... The other stuff you can do and will likely do a better job and save some $$ in the process..

Best of luck with your build!
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:30 pm

If I were to do it over again I'd have to choose a Arising Industries trailer or the Cynergy Cargo I bought. They don't deal direct but I know Colony Cargo was a dealer for Arising, Colony is in Fitzgerald GA. Arising's trailers are all tube, frames and walls. No Z channel, no T hat channel in the walls. Their walls don't have to have plywood on them to keep its strength.
Most of the manufacturers/builders in S.Georgia are within 60 miles or so of each other, either in Fitzgerald, Hazelhurst or Douglas Ga. Beware of these so called "factory direct" places. All that means is you'll pickup your trailer at the factory because most of these dealers are NOT stocking dealers. They keep little to No inventory.

I bought a Cynergy Advanced 7X16 tandem from my local dealer, optioned out to my desire for the same dollars as the so called "factory direct" dealers and didn't have to drive the 200+ miles to pick it up. It gave me the chance to walk several different sizes and models and look at their builds prior to purchase. The closest Arising dealer was 90+ miles away but I was impressed with their build(s) and don't regret buying local.

Look very closely before you buy, specially since you want it built out. Don (Flboy) was right on the money about most of the options, you'll be much money ahead by doing most of it yourself. The electrical and insulation portion is pretty easy and you'll do a much better job than the factory.
Let the factory do the windows, doors and framing/stiffening.

BTW, if you don't have water tanks there is no real need for the 12V pump. City water does all the pressurizing you'll need.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby LarryF » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:38 pm

New Guy here, after lurking for awhile and doing brain numbing research on cargo trailers manufactors here in texas, Georgia, and Kentucky finally ordered a 8.5 x20 Arising trailer from Colony Cargo, I believe another poster here stated that his parents plus himself ordered from them and had good luck, so my trailer is supposed to be done in 3 weeks.
Hope I made the right decision.
:frightened:
LarryF
Teardrop Inspector

Postby FlyBye » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:25 pm

LarryF wrote:New Guy here, after lurking for awhile and doing brain numbing research on cargo trailers manufactors here in texas, Georgia, and Kentucky finally ordered a 8.5 x20 Arising trailer from Colony Cargo, I believe another poster here stated that his parents plus himself ordered from them and had good luck, so my trailer is supposed to be done in 3 weeks. Hope I made the right decision. :frightened:

Larry, that was my father and I. My dad let my wife and I take it on vacation for a week before we ordered ours. Both my parents and myself are very pleased with the product and service we received from Colony Cargo. You can find a little more detail of my purchase and humble build at: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287. But long story short, Yes both my parents and I would recommend Colony Cargo for your trailer needs. Just make sure you know what you want and get it on the invoice. If I were to buy another trailer anytime soon... it would be from these folks with out a doubt.

As a side note, Colony sells several different brands. The Arising trailer brand is what met our needs/desires the best.
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby LarryF » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:08 am

Thanks Flybye. :D
LarryF
Teardrop Inspector

Postby usmc70_14 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Thank you so much for guiding me in the right direction. Lots of good TIPS. As you are also in Florida and me Living in South Florida, AC 8s definitely a must. Although, this cool breeze that we are getting is very nice.

How would you guys suggest I insulate the floor? By going under the trailer, placing the boards and then sealing it off with some type of barrier or?

Not to be lazy but what would you guys suggest that I get to complete an "electrical package"?... Just an FYI... I was an engineer in The Marines and currently a Medic. So I probably won't shock or kill myself while playing with electricity.

By the way, if you are interested in doing this for me over a weekend I'd pay you along with helping you out. I'd definitely cruise by your place and have everything purchased from Home Depot based on what 8s needed.
usmc70_14
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:00 am

If you are going to order a trailer built to your spec. consider having the RV door installed a couple inches higher than normal. Then you can add the desired amount of insulation to the floor and another 3/4" plywood over that and the door threshold will match up to new insulated floor. You are going to want to do the wiring and insulating and most everything else yourself. If you want windows and you are rock solid sure where you want them, check the manufacture's price. If they will install for 50.00 over window cost let them. Just be sure you know where you want them.
Question; Do you have a floorplan drawn up? Your wish list looks to be fairly standard, and you could probably get most of it from manufacture/dealer, but most of are here because we want to build the trailer out ourselves. It is a time consuming project but you get what you play for..
You will want a power center with charger/converter at the minimum to handle AC and DC and battery charging. Progressive Dynamics PD4045 is popular. I went with WFCO 8955 and it works flawlessly. Main 50amp AC plus 7 AC breakers and a dozen or so fuse protected DC circuits. It also controls a 3 stage battery charger. You will probably want 100ah minimum deep cycle battery to start, and more if you want to go Solar. I think if I had it to do over I would install the proper amount of solar right from the get go. It makes the trailer a lot more capable and you can put off the generator for a while. But if you are boondocking and want Air Cond. you really need a generator. Solar will allow you to run a fridge, TV lights and pump and always have a charged battery just like with shore power. You will need to know what your power consumption is anticipated to be to design a proper solar system for your needs.
There is a lot of info to get you started in the electrical forum. You can find wire gauge charts and schematics there. You can learn everything you need there if you look. Same for plumbing, and LP.
Take your time and do the jobs right and enjoy the process and you will enjoy the results.
Good Luck!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby NO David! » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:05 am

Welcome to the madness.

Here's a discussion on manufacturers in the Southeast. We custom ordered a Cargo Craft, through a local dealer. Another thing that drew me to them was that they were one of the few privately held (family) companies left in the industry. Many are now just name brands owned by an investment company for example. Had a few communication issues between dealer/mfr on our custom order. Manufacturer sent a crew to my house in North Georgia, to make the corrections at no charge. Imagine that happening with one of the other manufacturers.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63829

This post made me think of your project as well:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55057

I did my own electrical, it was fairly simple and easy. Since I insulated mine as well, it was a good time to do it. The factory kits seem pretty basic and industrial looking.
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby beachguy005 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:04 am

I purchased from Cargo Craft and should have walked away from it. After a damp, cloudy, 4 hour wait, partially because they forgot to install safety chains. Brought it out to hook up and duh...no chains welded on. I needed to get back on the road and I didn't inspect it as closely as I should have, that's on me. It was what I ordered, nothing special, and you'd think that given trailers is all they do, they could do it right.
Screwless was crap, side bar cam locks were mounted crooked, roof trim screws installed one way on one side and another way on the other side. I did get money back for the screw-less adder but I wrote off the other quality issues as my fault for being in a rush and not scrutinizing the trailer enough.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby usmc70_14 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:20 am

beachguy005 wrote:I purchased from Cargo Craft and should have walked away from it. After a damp, cloudy, 4 hour wait, partially because they forgot to install safety chains. Brought it out to hook up and duh...no chains welded on. I needed to get back on the road and I didn't inspect it as closely as I should have, that's on me. It was what I ordered, nothing special, and you'd think that given trailers is all they do, they could do it right.
Screwless was crap, side bar cam locks were mounted crooked, roof trim screws installed one way on one side and another way on the other side. I did get money back for the screw-less adder but I wrote off the other quality issues as my fault for being in a rush and not scrutinizing the trailer enough.
In hindsight, if you could do it all over again, what companies would you have gone with?
usmc70_14
Teardrop Builder

Postby beachguy005 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:49 pm

[/quote]In hindsight, if you could do it all over again, what companies would you have gone with?[/quote]

Hard to say. I didn't even find this board until after I had purchased my trailer. I had been looking at teardrop trailers and just felt that they were more like dog houses on wheels. My main concern was in getting the most headroom and space in a trailer I would have to fit in my garage because I couldn't park it outside in my yard. A 5x12x5' tall gave more room than a TD and with solar panels on the roof, just clears the door opening when I pull it out and it did cost less than a TD.
I haven't looked any any other companies as I'm not in the market. This has worked fine for me even with the QC issues.
As I just recalled while writing this, I stumbled across the Cargo Craft because they have their Elite Off Road unit. It's made in Texas plant and is pretty cool for a CTC. That's what I was going to buy until I realized I couldn't get it into my garage.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions