Winterizing

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Winterizing

Postby jay87lx » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:42 am

Quick question...
I follow a few CC trailer conv groups on FB and there are several posts about winterizing, pouring RV antifreeze into the water supply lines etc and drains.
Now my thoughts are that in a fairly basic plumbing drain system in a CC the only things that should have water would be P traps or S traps under any sink or shower which usually have a twist off plug to drain. all other draining would be at a slight pitch anyways to any blk, gry tank etc. so ity seems to be easily drained with just gravity.
I do lawn care and the other day I saw a crew blowing out lawn sprinkler systems with a big compressor until all the lines were dry. Has anyone installed a air line quick connect to blow out their supply lines to avoid filling with RV antifreeze??
jay87lx
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Winterizing

Postby hankaye » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:55 am

jay87lx, Howdy;

Here's what ya need;
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... -plug/4410
can also be found at Walmart.

Once you blow out the system keep the taps open and pour some
RV anti freeze into the tanks, helps to keep the dump valves lubricated.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Padilen » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:29 am

I used a tee &shut off in my water line after tank and before pump. Added a short piece of clear tube. I also have a shut off for tank, water tank has a drain. I then can simply stick the line in 1 gallon of anti freeze and turn on pump.
But I don't winterize, I back my trailer into my pole barn. I have a wood boiler that heats my home and pole barn. So no need to winterize. And if Im in of need water I have it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:55 am

hankaye wrote:jay87lx, Howdy;

Here's what ya need;
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... -plug/4410
can also be found at Walmart.

Once you blow out the system keep the taps open and pour some
RV anti freeze into the tanks, helps to keep the dump valves lubricated.

hank

I use one similar to this. Blow all the lines dry. Add antifreeze so it gets into the water heater. For me, that is all that is necessary. All of course after hunting season.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:01 pm

I have heard that water can get trapped in the RV toilet's flush valve. May want to cycle a little antifreeze there too.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby McDave » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Went for the twofer. Drained fresh tank, added 2gal Rv anti-freeze. Opened shower faucet and ran till pink came out at head and let drain into empty black tank. Fresh tank has some residual pink, lines have pink, pump has pink, water heater and faucet have pink, drain and black tank pink. Removed lines from pump just cuz. Pulled fuse for pump. Should do it.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:42 am

aggie79, Howdy;

aggie79 wrote:I have heard that water can get trapped in the RV toilet's flush valve. May want to cycle a little antifreeze there too.

YES!!! For those with flushing thrones, very important!!! Good catch!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions