Ceiling Insulation Question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Ceiling Insulation Question

Postby phoenixbound » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:41 pm

I am in the process of insulating my trailer. I am using 1" Styrofoam on the walls. There is 1" of space so it's perfect. Checking the ceiling I noticed there is 1 & 1/2 '" of space. I don't know whether to go ahead and use the 1" and leave an air gap or get 1 & 1/2" insulation. The air gap helps with insulation, right? Could be slightly tougher to install. The space is right at 1 & 1/2". Thank you.
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Re: Ceiling Insulation Question

Postby John61CT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:03 pm

Actually ceiling is more important, then wall, floor least.

Go 1.5
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CoventryKid » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:21 pm

I added insulation between the ribs in the ceiling then strapped 3" wide strips of 5/8" plywood to each rib down the length of the trailer. Kept the insulation in place and also provided space to run 12v electrical wires, mount LED lights, etc. Screw your finished ceiling material to the plywood strips, not the metal ribs (thermal break). Pictures are in my build link (below).

Also, some members have used Henry's roof coating (https://us.henry.com/roofing/reflective-coatings/white-roof-coatings) on the roof to reduce the amount of heat generated on a sunny day. I haven't done this (yet).

Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:10 am

Air gaps can be useful, but.... They only help if executed properly. "Dead air" is an effective insulator but its not easy to achieve. The air gap must be air tight or else it is just a leak. The odds are probably better with more poly iso. The foil faced (both sides) is about R-6 or 7 for 1". 1.5" should get you close to R-10. That is still not a lot but it makes a big difference. Like the "Kid" mentioned earlier, Henry 587 roof coating will also be a huge help for you. Arizona has about 300 days of sunshine per year so heat will likely be your biggest issue. The Henry 587 is a reflective coating and it really works to lower roof temp. by reflecting the sun's rays, not absorbing all that energy. 1 gal. did my 6 x 12. Probably the best $35.00 investment I have made. Easy to apply, takes a morning. These trailers were not built to accommodate a lot of insulation so whatever else you can use to control temps is a help.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:36 am

Howdy All;

Unless you camp where it never rains you want insulation up top. Why am I equating it to
rain??? Imagine living inside a drum ... Noticed this quality when I camped in my brandy new
CT under a fir tree just after a gentle rain. The drops that dripped from the tree where
larger and it was like listening to Maggie O'Sullivan's tap dance class for Hobbit 3 year-olds
dancin' on the roof.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby onehoser » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:54 pm

hankaye wrote:Howdy All;

Unless you camp where it never rains you want insulation up top. Why am I equating it to
rain??? Imagine living inside a drum ... Noticed this quality when I camped in my brandy new
CT under a fir tree just after a gentle rain. The drops that dripped from the tree where
larger and it was like listening to Maggie O'Sullivan's tap dance class for Hobbit 3 year-olds
dancin' on the roof.

hank

the wind blowing over the sheet metal at night is a real treat too :)
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby fourbtgait » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:04 am

I always liked the sound of waking up to rain on a corragated tin roof. It meant I didnt have to get up right away and go to work.
As stated, I put Henrys on top for reflective and fully seal, 1.5” polyiso with ceiling attached to wood strips, but only 3/4” wide.
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions