Do you use a generator when off grid?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Do you use a generator when off grid?

Postby jondbar628 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:25 pm

No generator, no fridge, no A/C., no inverter. ....All lighting 12VDC leds. A couple of 12vdc automotive "receptacles" with built-in USB ports One in bunk, one in galley. All forced-air movement via numerous computer fans selected for quietness & low current draw relative to air movement. (seven in all, including 2 in the footwell area. Large high-quality ice chest, 12vdc smallish elec. cooler for emergency backup, which is carried in, and powered by tow vehicle if needed.... .. When "off grid", all cooking done with propane. One group 27-sized deep-cycle battery - lasts for several days without re-charge. Standard on-board battery charger. ...........When have shore power, use electric hotplate & electric percolator, & charge battery. Have 2 120vac receptacles in galley & 1 in bunk. Have a couple of 120vac 10" super-quiet fans for forced air, when needed..............light & cheap............. With a nod to SOME creature comfort, we camp north in the summer, and not south until after Oct 1st or thereabouts.....jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby crttaz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:52 am

I'd wanna get out of Middletucky as well :)

<<<<near Fairfield
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:12 pm

CRTTAZ, I'll admit Middletown isn't the most beautiful city. But in retirement, it works for us being centrally located among our OH family members. Lived there summers about 6 yrs now. It's getting noticeably better. We got us a Tractor Supply now :thumbsup: ....Wife and her family are from Fairfield, most of them still live there..........jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby crttaz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Dad worked for CG&E/Cinergy put of Middleton area, well Todhunter Road. You could see the steel going down the line at Armco from up on the hill. I have road the bike rail from Trenton to almost Franklin. I can remember when Route 4 wasn't so busy :)
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby Bill n Robi » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:28 pm

Rainier70 wrote:
Bill n Robi wrote:Dual batteries, portable solar, 2400w Yamaha converted to run on propane.

May I ask where you got your conversion kit? Thanks

If you did not get yours yet they have a sale and free stuff until the end of the year

From an email but sorry the hyperlinks don't copy for some reason
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To help you prepare for the possibility of a severe 2018 storm season, we are offering a free propane hose connection kit (up to $49 value) with every purchase of Motor Snorkel now through Sunday, December 31st at 11:59 PM. Add a quick disconnect or tachometer (or any other accessory) and you'll also get free ground shipping (within the 48 lower US States)!

Act now while supplies last. Simply add Motor Snorkel to your cart and then add either the 6' Propane Hose Kit or the 12' Propane Hose Kit to your cart and use the promotional code PREP2018. The code will provide you a credit of $49. Free shipping will be offered to you once your cart exceeds $199.99 (before the discount).

To claim your free propane connection accessory:

1. First add the Motorsnorkel to the cart (provide us with your generator information so that we can ensure the correct snorkel is sent to you):

Click to Add Motorsnorkel

2. Then add your choice of FREE propane connection kit

Click to Add 6' Propane Hose Kit
Click to Add 12' Propane Hose Kit

3. Now, for FREE shipping, just add a tachometer/hour meter or quick-disconnect set (or any other accessory from our website) to your order.

Click to Add 3/8" Quick Disconnect Set
Click to Add Tachomter /Hour Meter

4. Enter the code PREP2018 into the "Discount Codes" box during checkout.

Don't forget, Motor Snorkel can work with your pressure washer or log splitter as well!!!

Again we thank you for your interest in Motor Snorkel. We are happy to answer any questions that you have. You can always reach us by:

1. Replying to this email
2. Calling us at 800-553-5608, Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30 Eastern Time

Sincerely,

US Carburetion
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:10 pm

Time to don my contrarian-a--hole cap............Are we Glamping here, or Camping? Sounds like mini-RV time. "I want to be out in the wilderness, but I don't REALLY want to experience it, cause it's way too inconvenient". ......Nothing like throwing a firecracker into a dinner party!... :D ...........jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:46 pm

I use my quiet Yamaha while off the grid with no guilt nor reservations. Just a month ago, I continued my development of my grandson’s fondness of the outdoors. At our hunt camp with my trailer, we processed my deer right at the campsite. The generator provided the power to run my vacuum sealer which he operated. Wouldn’t trade that family experience for anything. I firmly believe a lot of things have their time and place.

Now if there were someone camping tight next to me, for sure I would do what I could to not interfer with his right to enjoy the immediate place also.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby CoventryKid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:56 pm

Bob:

I don't want to hijack this thread, but are you happy with your Yamaha? We're considering a Honda 2000 (every time we walk by one running in a campground we can't believe how quiet it is). Is the Yamaha comparable? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:39 pm

CoventryKid wrote:Bob:

I don't want to hijack this thread, but are you happy with your Yamaha? We're considering a Honda 2000 (every time we walk by one running in a campground we can't believe how quiet it is). Is the Yamaha comparable? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sending PM
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions