Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:13 pm

Sounds like a great trip . Most definitely need "ST" trailer tires . See link
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=219
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Solar suitcase

Postby ris » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:24 pm

Thanks featherlite for your response. Just finished building and testing a "solar suitcase". Thanks to those on this site that posted about solar. After some YouTube research we chose our components. HQST 100 watt mono-crystalline panels $164 shipped. Rich Solar MPPT, 20 amp controller, $90. Renogy 10AWG Adapter kit,40 ft long $38. I then taped the 2 wires together. If I did this again I would just purchase a 10 AWG extension cord and get connectors separately. These wires will not be out 24 hrs a day in the elements on a roof of the trailer. The extension cord would be much more flexible but would cost more. Surface mount 25 amp circuit breaker $21. Two pin bullet quick connect 10 AWG connector(pack of two) $15. One inch aluminum angle from Home Depot and screws +nuts. Not sure what this cost.
Here are pics of the panels and the adjustable brackets to hold it up. I backed up all the attachments with small blocks of wood to help support and stiffen the panels aluminum.

Close up of Hinge

Close up of Leg attachment. The leg attachment cannot touch the panel as you raise and lower it. You have to attach the leg about 3/16 of an inch above the back of the solar panel.
ris
Teardrop Master

Solar suitcase hook up in trailer

Postby ris » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:08 pm

In our trailer we have a utility room in the back 2 feet of the trailer. There is also some storage extending another 2 feet forward past the utility wall under the bed. All our electrical is on the passenger side of the trailer except for the 30 amp hookup to shore power. All positives and negatives are hooked somehow to the two studs located below the battery charger.This is where the Rich Solar 12/24 volt controller is hooked into the electrical system also. There is a 25 amp breaker between the solar controller and the rest of the electrical system located just below the Solar Controller.

The positive and negative wires run through the bottom of the trailer from the controller input where they terminate in a 10AWG bullet quick connecter. This connector is up inside the floor frame members so we can quickly hook up the solar panels.

The two solar panels are hooked up in series so the voltages are added together. Here is the actual volts on a cool partly sunny day in Florida in February. 34.1 volts at 4 amps.

I am not sure how all this solar stuff works but I do know that with this setup my 450 amphour battery setup will charge from 92 % to 100 % in just over 2 hrs on a sunny day. I know the hook up is correct just not sure of this volt, amps, watts and amphour stuff and exactly how they relate. If I am in left field let me know. My batteries have been fine so far. Thanks for your comments
ris
Teardrop Master

Re: ris 8.5 X 18 new trailer build 11/1/17

Postby ris » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:01 pm

We are going on a long trip out west this summer, 2020, and we decided to get a small safe. We have a couple of places to put stuff that takes a while to get to but we wanted to have a safe place that was quick to access. After getting a couple of 20 long X 14 wide and 8 deep safes we only kept one and it is called a Stack-ON extra wide personal safe. This safe had a very thick door 1/8 or slightly thicker. Non of the other doors were even half this thick. It was $140 and we found it at tractor supply after looking around on the internet. As most decisions this was a how much money to spend verses what will be in it. The next step up in security would have been over $200. We bolted through the floor into the floor beams with 6 heavy duty metal screws. and three 1/4 inch lag screws into 2x4's. If you buy one of these it has an electronic lock or a separate key to open the safe door bolts. If you get one of these keep up with the batteries for the electronic lock. Put a dab of super glue in the key lock to keep some jerk with a pick gun from opening the safe. If you ever have to use the key you will have to use acetone to dissolve the glue before inserting the key. Just put some tissue in the lock and then the glue, the tissue will keep the glue out of the rest of the key way of the lock. All I will say about the location is you cannot see the safe it will keep the quick thieves out not the determined ones. A 3 ft. crowbar, 10 pound sledgehammer and a battery operated angle grinder will get you in most things in a minute or less.
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:55 am

Hey Richard,
Great Idea having a safe for certain items you may want or need to leave at camp while you are out exploring. Great info on the super glue/acetone hack. Somehow I can already see my car keys getting locked in there... ugh.
Sure hope we get to see y'all this year. Jewels and I talked about meeting you at Glacier or somewhere for a couple days of camping if we can work it out. Probably better have the ladies discuss it for us, but I'm game for it.
Enjoy your trip and post some pics when you can.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby ris » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:18 pm

McDave will check in with you as we go along. I am not sure what is up with the "virus". We are going to keep watching the news and we might do some route changing depending on how the virus thing goes. What is your take on this virus? Hate to cancel but sure would hate to be bad sick 2000 miles from home. I would think parks where you mostly see folks outdoors might be safer than sitting in a airplane breathing the same air. Or in an office building working all day. Just keep washing the hands and keeping hands away from eyes, nose and mouth.
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:37 pm

My instinct is to keep on living my life and to just forge ahead. This is a flu bug like a thousand other flu bugs, and it's not the only one out there right now. But it is more deadly than some for elderly and those with compromised health. I would hope we would be smart enough to handle this without panic, but the press and politicos want to use it to beat the president, so lots of things will be affected. If you limit your exposure to people as much as possible, stay away from restaurants and other places where hygiene is an issue and do the hand washing thing you'd probably be just fine. You guys are pretty damn healthy for the most part so you got that going for you. Im thinking that wearing gloves when you handle public things like gas pumps and especially money would be a good idea.
Money is filthy and you don't even want to know some of the things I've seen. Make sure you are taking vitamins, lots of A, C, D, and zinc and iodine. Other than that I think you are just as likely to get it in your hometown as anywhere else, so you might as well continue to live your life.
Just my thoughts...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby ris » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:15 am

McDave we are visiting our son near Pensacola Fl. as our first stop on our trip for 2 weeks. We had decided to come here and then stay for 2 weeks helping him remodel his house. On day 4 Jill came down with something we think might be the Flu but not sure. She is quarantined to the camper for 2 days now. So another use for a converted cargo trailer, quarantine shelter. Will let you know how she progresses.
Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:00 pm

That all sounds like good planning. Sorry to hear Jill came down with something, but hopefully it will pass soon and at least you are in comfortable, safe, familiar surroundings. You are right about using the trailer as a quarantine and in your case, a really nice place to be. Mine is more bare bones, but still would work pretty well for that purpose. Listen, if there is anything you need or we can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask. Tell Jill we hope she feels better soon. If you want to PM me with your 10-20 we'll send some flowers. Otherwise just let me know you are OK.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby ris » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:12 pm

After 5 days Jill started doing better and she is ok now. Not sure what she had but it did not get in her lungs so she never went to a doctor. I told her about the flowers after she got well and she said thank you for thinking of her. Just read they are NOT shutting the National Parks down so next week we will continue on our journey out west. First stop is Big Bend National Park.
Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:11 am

Well good deal. I'm glad she is feeling better. So Big Bend 1st. That's a pretty good haul from Pensacola. But it always takes days to get across Tejas. Well, enjoy and be careful. Post some pics every now and again.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby TossingLead » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:47 am

Big Bend 2015
TossingLead
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:47 am

Here is a helpful hint. DO NOT USE THESE DIRECTIONS. I'm sure there is a shorter route. https://www.distance-cities.com/search? ... country=us
Texas is big, but seriously...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby ris » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Since I have received notice that all our reservations at Big Bend and the National Parks in California are canceled we are heading back to Frostproof Fl. which is our home on Tuesday. We will have to reschedule this trip for next year or the year after. Not sure what we will do but stay safe my friends.
Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 am

Wow, Sorry to that Richard. We were hoping to see you guys out here. But maybe it's for the best. Things could get crazy the longer this goes on. Please be safe and keep in touch. Good luck to you both and we will see you on the other side. Hopefully soon. Stay Strong.
:thumbsup:

Dave and Jewels
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions