32" Gooseneck Toy Hauler Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

32" Gooseneck Toy Hauler Build

Postby norgewizard » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi all,
Just picked up my new trailer last week and have started work on it.

[img]151800[/img]

Insulation first and then on to installing tanks....plumbing...electrical...and all the rest.
It has been a few years since I did one of these. The last one was a 40' 3 horse slant with
20" Living Quarters......it turned out really nice. Lots of good info on this site.
I already have a lot of the stuff pre-fabricated and need to get all of the rough in stuff
done. Will be getting cold and butt deep in snow before long, so work will have to stop.
Comments welcome

Tim
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Re: 32" Gooseneck Toy Hauler Build

Postby flboy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Wow... that looks really nice. You can build a small mansion in there! Can't wait to see it progress! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What will you be towing with? Are those 5,000 lb. axles or larger?
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Hey Tim,
Are you still in the horse game or is this going to be all for conversion? You could do something spectacular with that kind of space. Very nice rig. I have seen some "Rodeo Rigs" that were just awesome and just about that size. Those horses sure had it good... ;)
http://www.rodeorigs.com/
Good Luck, I'll be watching this one.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby norgewizard » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:52 pm

I will be towing it with a Chevy 2500HD 6.0 engine. Trailer has 2-7k axles. Would like to have a diesel truck for this trailer, but being recently retired, I had a heart attack looking at them. All our Arabians are gone after many years of showing them all over the country. This trailer will be for the motorcycles, and living space for me and the Missus. We looked around at a lot of finished trailers before deciding to go down this road. All the trailers were in the 60-80k range and as usual they would sleep like 20 people. We just want to sleep 2 people, but have an actual house sized shower, and a full size refrigerator. If I stay on budget, I should finish this one out for about 26k including the trailer.

I can't say enough good things about Shaun at http://doublertrailers.com/ for the great job they did building my trailer. Finished it in 8 weeks from start date, including all the windows and other request I had. If any of you live anywhere near Boise Idaho or the Pacific Northwest, I would not hesitate to recommend his company for any size trailer. It's nice to deal with the owner/manufacturer instead of a salesman sitting at a desk somewhere. Maybe sometime in the future I will tell you all about the fiasco I had with one of the large online trailer sellers.

Here's a closeup of the generator box and propane mount they did on the front for me.

And the inside.......I had them leave the plywood off, since I would be insulating....and applying my own finish.

I'm very fortunate in being a home builder for almost 40 years,(now retired) and have all the tools of the trade.

Here's a pic of one of my motorcycles that will ride in the back.

Later................Tim
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:48 pm

SaaaWeeet Guzzi ! Eldorado joe, Can't say I've seen one of those before, but I did go to Eldorado High School,
the "Golden Ghetto". That looks to be early 70's? Must have been the cat's ass in the day. I was riding a CB750F back then. Wish I had that one back.
So Vintage bikes, eh. Well probably a little more budget friendly than the Arabians, but maybe not. I guess if you're showing Blue Bloods you don't really have budget issues.... I like your style. I'm more of a Harley and Quarter Horse kind of guy, but it's ALL good.
You might get lucky this year, We just had a 70f day for Thanksgiving! That's 70 above zero! :shock: ... If you can get her dried in and a little heat you could work inside the trailer and shop and maybe get a bunch knocked out before it gets real messy. Good luck, looking forward to your build log.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:25 pm

Hey Tim,
I think I may be getting caught up now. That Moto Guzzi must be a L.T.D. model? About 1974, I've heard of Joe.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby norgewizard » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:21 pm

It's a 1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado civilian model. The "Joe" on the side cover refers to my longtime friend who gave me the bike to restore shortly before his death in 2014. I have several Guzzis, one of them .......a 2002 California EV is pictured below. I refer to them as my Italian Harleys :D :D :D

Tim

norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:13 am

They're very cool. It's funny how people just seem to identify with a certain make more so than the rest. You just seem to understand them better, for the good, the bad and the otherwise.

So I was way off on the Joe? I thought for sure you were referring to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwzTYP2fBV4

Didn't think they were real popular in Idaho circa '74, but ya never know. Dr. Hook is still huge in Montana. Go figure....
"And the operator says 'forty cents more, for the next three minutes'. Please Mrs. Avery, I just gotta talk to her....."

Have a great weekend.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby norgewizard » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Update and pictures in the last 2 weeks.

Got her pulled in under cover. Installed large access door, electric door, water heater, cable tv access.

Inside....insulating around the corners. Strip walls and ceiling.

Cabinets for storage

Kitchen cabinets

Full size fridge and storage closet

Steps up into berth that also serve as fresh water and pump area.

50 amp surge guard....no it's not upside down, but I am sometimes :D

Bath sink...toilet goes to the right side and across fro sink will be a full size 36 x 48 shower

That's all for now.......now back to work.
Tim
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Wow! You are going at it. All looks top notch. Nice work.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Looking good ... especially the steps!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:41 am

WOW! Wow, Wow, Wow.
I thought you were supposed to be retired? That's as much work as I've seen anybody get done in a long time. Wow!
So, I love what I'm seeing so far. Cabinets and doors, Excellent. Layout looks to be very well planned. Just pulling that much wiring is impressive. We're really getting schooled on this one. The storage cabinets act as a privacy wall for the berth I assume. Great plan. And you are really making good use of this break in the weather, We have been very lucky so far this winter, I'm lovin' it. Still riding the Harley and it is almost Christmas!
Please take and post more photos of your progress. Thanks for sharing with us.
Very well done, Sir.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby norgewizard » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:38 pm

I guess "retired" is a relative term. I also have an online business where I sell tee shirts and caps, and that takes a lot of time at Christmas.
This week I will hopefully get my tanks installed so I can haul my poop around with me........yep......poop tank engineering!!! :D :D No motorcycle riding here
since we do have snow on the ground, and on my road leading to US 95. Will post more pics as I progress along. Thanks for all the good wishes.
Tim
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Postby norgewizard » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Got some "J" molding from my local glass guy. It gets mounted on the wall to hold a 12" wide piece of plywood to close in the sides where all of the wiring is.
I have a small piece of plywood in the track for mock up.

Also mounted my remote control TV mount that folds up against the ceiling. Plan on mounting a 40" tv on it.

Got all of the inside plumbing done......tanks are installed under......will wait for nicer weather (March) to go back underneath and do the final hookups.
Tied in the vent for the grey water tank, with the black water tank, so only one roof penetration. Sinks and shower will use a "wet vent" (old plumbers version) so as to reduce floor and tank penetrations.

Bath sink

Kitchen sink...hot water heater. This sink has a one way air admittance valve at the top.

Waiting for a battery fuse and disconnect switch before installing the shower wall and pan.......maybe next week.......although the forecast is for 8-10 degrees over the next few days,
and my space heater won't keep up with those temps.
Will post more as projects are completed.
I do have one question, not that I will be doing it right away, but just preparing. On my rooftop 13.5 ac unit. There is a foam seal around the bottom attached to the frame. Do I need any other sealant under this foam ......butyl.......dicor ??????

Thanks Guys.......................Tim
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:46 am

Man, look at you go. You're not messin around. Looks good. You might have to
change your handle to "Flash" or something speedy like. :thumbsup: :applause:
Hopefully someone can help you on the AC question. Not many of us in the tiny trailer
section have installed roof units. Keep up the great work!
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions