ADV-House: An 8x18 renovation.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: ADV-House: An 8x18 renovation.

Postby PigTrail » Wed May 09, 2018 9:14 am

Ordered a set of these lights a while back and finally installed them in the elf-sized garage space. I can see wanting to reach through the elf door and into a drink-cooler or other bag just inside the garage. Would be nice to be able to see it!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4D2OHQ/

They come with two-sided tape for easy mounting. They're super-light, so hopefully the tape will hold up. Size 10 foot for scale.

Mounted the spare tire on the rear, driver-side and you can also see the four mounts for the aluminum table. It's stored on the inside on another four clips.

The tire is mounted into the wall studs with this bracket. It's threaded rod with a piece of 1" square tubing. Here it is prepped for paint...

I'm running all the wires for the pump, lights, fan, and other accessories back to a panel that's just rear-ward of the access door on the passenger side. As a wire gets routed I'm trying to keep them organized. My wife helped with the label maker.

What is going on here? Stay tuned for that project. Hint, it involves these nifty strip lights. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSF66JO/

Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Wed May 09, 2018 11:32 am

Ha! I just finished the spare tire mount. (after 2 yrs. of lugging it around) Decided to mount to the ramp, so had to beef up the ramp, weld in a plate and locate in just the right spot to prevent conflicts when lowering ramp.
You are getting into the fun stuff now. love LED strip lights, very handy, low amps and decorative. Easy to put on a dimmer/remote control.
Good Stuff,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed May 09, 2018 2:22 pm

PigTrail, Howdy;

Ok, I can see admittance for that gremlin (spit), just don't feed it to late at night ...
Excellent progress sir.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Wed May 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Nice spare tire mount. I found one that attaches to my eTrac at Northern Tool. It worked out good for me since the eTrac was already there.

I like those LED strips too. They make great under cabinet and accent lighting.

Your build is looking great!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby PigTrail » Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 am

And we have power!

DC Control Panel on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077RTV62S/

There is something very satisfying about working in your trailer when it's under its "own" power. I divided the overhead lights into two groups. There are four lights over the bed area and 6 over the main living area.

We're headed out of town next weekend for a moto trip to Arkansas, so I'm working to get this thing to a usable state. Like McDave said, "the fun stuff". My wife wears contacts, so a mirror is a must. Home Depot had these 12"x12" mirror tiles for $9.99 for a pack of 5. I used a liberal amount of construction adhesive and stuck two in between these shelves.

Heard a rustle in the bushes while working yesterday evening and came out to see this guy surveying the scene. He's probably interested in tips on how to build a trailer. Will have to tell him about the tnttt forum.

Around the mattress I installed gray speaker-box fabric to provide a finished look. I used 3M Super 77 adhesive which works like a charm. You can also see the switch panel and 12v & usb charge ports (for phones) on the bed side of the little triangular shaped cabinet.

Last edited by PigTrail on Mon May 21, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Very Nice :thumbsup: Sure a different creature than the first incarnation.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby PigTrail » Mon May 14, 2018 8:21 am

a different creature than the first incarnation.

You bet it is. Water tank, built in hot shower, temperature control (heat only), and waaay more light.

We're just about ready for our maiden mid-build voyage.

Here's another shot of the finished bed area with the RV mattress in place....

And an update on our trailer build observer. Apparently it was a she because this fella was asleep at the back of my driveway in the sun. I carefully scooped him up with some cardboard and placed him back in the bushes. Eyes aren't even open yet.

Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby Joel.brian » Mon May 14, 2018 9:20 am

Love it, looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Mon May 14, 2018 12:14 pm

If I am not mistaken those are what's known as your basic Ringtailed Bandit gremlin. While they are cute, don't be fooled. You do not want them in your trailer or house or tent etc. They can outright total your vehicle in minutes. If they look like they are smiling at you, run! They are fast and strong and MEAN when they don't get their way. Often mistaken for a ringtail is the Maine Coon. Also fast and strong, but not mean.
However, I am not sure they will fit through the elf door.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon May 14, 2018 2:20 pm

McDave, Howdy;

Best read up on the Main Coon cat, aka feline pit bulls nearest thing to a domesticated (had to look it up),
bobcat.
My mom had one, took out a 15 pound ground hog in about as fast as you can blink. Edit; Mom screeched
when she saw it and the cat took it for a big mouse I guess.

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Mon May 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Yeah, I got a 3 yr old Coon. He's 19 lbs last we checked. His name is Buddy Boy. He's definitely the cock of the walk round here, but he's a lovable clown. I'll tell ya the story someday. Sometimes your new friends will come find you....you know.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed May 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Could you please link to that DC control panel, or to the vendor if it's custom?

Thanks
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Wed May 16, 2018 10:42 pm

PigTrail, Howdy;

I was browsing back through your thread here to see if, perhaps, you had already mentioned the
dc control board and found it on page 3 but no mention as to it's origin. Saw where I'd mentioned
chalk instead caulk :oops: , :lol: . Also saw your vent hole for the propane ... I'm more used to
seeing holes in the 6" to 8" diameter size for that purpose with some support for the tank above
the hole or something like this; viewtopic.php?f=42&t=70133&p=1229811#p1229811
scroll down a wee bit to see the floor vent. Not trying to poo on your fine work, far, far, far
from that. I'd just like to see you enjoy the creation you've sweated and toiled over for a looooog time.
Just something to ponder... oh, and by a propane detector and install it near the floor a few feet
from the storage box.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PigTrail » Mon May 21, 2018 8:32 am

John61CT wrote:Could you please link to that DC control panel, or to the vendor if it's custom?

Yes, added above and here. Found it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077RTV62S/
Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby PigTrail » Mon May 21, 2018 8:35 am

hankaye wrote:Not trying to poo on your fine work, far, far, far
from that. I'd just like to see you enjoy the creation you've sweated and toiled over for a looooog time.
Just something to ponder... oh, and by a propane detector and install it near the floor a few feet
from the storage box.

No poo taken! :-) Thanks for the comments. Definitely need a propane detector and will be installing one soon.

Used our "intermittent stage" build this past weekend. Here it is loaded and headed for Arkansas.

We got lots of curious looks and questions at the motorcycle event. Thanks for all the help!
Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions