CTC Build Thread - Mid-life crisis-mobile

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: CTC Build Thread - Mid-life crisis-mobile

Postby CoventryKid » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:16 am

Two fantastic fans just to make sure lots of air flow. Maybe one in and one out.

For what it's worth, I installed a Maxxair fan in our 7x16. With 10 speeds it moves a lot of air thru our 3 windows and 2 vents.

Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby sodatrain » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:58 pm

Just got my CAD from the dealer... :D it's missing the jack on the front end, but I think other than that it's good to go! 6" Extra on this trailer gets me 7'3" in the middle and 7' flat on the sides. I'm 6'6". Sprinter Van cant beat that!!

The concessions window is my attempt at having more "windows" while being more secure/stealthy.

--
My 7x7x14 Tandem Axel build thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69731
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:58 pm

Looks very nice.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:07 pm

That does look really good. I went on that site and designed my dream trailer and really it wasn't outrageously expensive. Of course you would still have to do the conversion but it would be a great platform to build from.
Good Luck.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby sodatrain » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:59 pm

Spent a few hours trying to design the bed and table system.... wanted a queen size fold-down bed, a bench to comfortably sit at / work from, and a table that would fold down from the table and reach the bench at a comfortable height. It took way more math and measuring than I expected. Notably, the table had to be narrow enough to not be in the way when the table folded down and had to be mounted high enough to be at a comfortable height. I've been staring at it for a couple hours now... but I think it all jives. It's absolutely inspired by Glenlivets CTC http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=46134

I tried to have the table just fold down across the "aisle" if you will but the length required made + the height of the top surface (table height) made that not work. Stumped. Remembered seeing someone build a murphy bed with a boat seat swivel as a hinge point... so attach a boat seat swive, to the bottom of the bed, a piece of ply attached to the other side. That piece of ply has a piano hinge on it and then the table surface attached to that! The table will be stored "sideways" and when I want to use it, rotate it up, and fold it down. Feeling pretty good about my design! Please poke holes in it tho!!

I tried to draw everything to scale and I think it's all pretty close!

Looking into the trailer from the rear:

Side view as if the passenger side trailer wall were removed: Shows both the stored (horizontal) and the ready to fold down vertical orientation of the table

--
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sodatrain » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:07 pm

McDave wrote:That does look really good. I went on that site and designed my dream trailer and really it wasn't outrageously expensive. Of course, you would still have to do the conversion but it would be a great platform to build from.
Good Luck.

McDave

Thanks! This has been a lot of fun. It was exciting to finally see the CAD of the trailer I DESIGNED! And holy buckets - I had no idea how many decisions I'd have to make and how many variations to consider!

I'm a little tight on my timeline and I'm a little afraid to cut thru the walls under pressure...so I had em do the windows and the vents (I'll replace the cheap vents with fantastic fans) when it arrives. Deff focused on doing what I can while I wait.

I too was pretty pleased with the costs there. The proof will be in the pudding! Chris in sales has been very helpful!
--
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:49 am

Here is some murphy bed and bunk hardware. It's not cheap but at least it gives an idea.
http://www.busrvparts.com/bunks-fold_away.htm

McDave

If you decide and order things like lights and fans and flooring, wiring and connectors it will help you to have it there so you can just insulate, run wiring, install lights and fans. then you have a reasonable place to work.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby sodatrain » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Been working on refining the designs. Here is where I'm at:

Bed / Table Side Detail - Bed folds down, two mattresses side by side = a queen. Table on the underside of the bed that rotates and extends to the bench.

Bed Platform Detail: top looking down

Interior Drivers Side:
Interior Passenger Side: Semi Transparent layer is a concessions window

Thinking about building this as the bench: https://www.remodelaholic.com/diy-stacked-plywood-bench-tutorial/ - easy to build in advance of picking up the trailer.
--
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sodatrain » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:26 pm

Wow! Found an extremely well-documented tear drop thread, and the guys electrical diagram is incredible (as is the documentation of his whole build!!) Lots of relevant topics for CTC too. I found it searching for details on people installing a window AC and venting the exhaust thru the floor! He built an index for this build on the main page that is remarkable. Def. worth a quick browse! :shock: :applause: :beer:

Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58625

Wiring section of build thread: viewtopic.php?p=1075697#p1075697

5000BTU Window AC install details: viewtopic.php?p=1185192#p1185192 and viewtopic.php?p=1210179#p1210179 and
--
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby norgewizard » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi Sodatrain...............I too ordered a trailer through that particular online middleman, and it was not the experience I had hoped for.
I picked the trailer up at the Silverton Oregon facility. It took a bit longer than advertised to get mine completed, so I ask that you keep us posted when you take delivery. Mine was branded as a Continental Cargo.
Tim
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

CTC Build Thread - Mid-life crisis-mobile

Postby sodatrain » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:33 pm

norgewizard wrote:Hi Sodatrain...............I too ordered a trailer through that particular online middleman, and it was not the experience I had hoped for.
I picked the trailer up at the Silverton Oregon facility. It took a bit longer than advertised to get mine completed, so I ask that you keep us posted when you take delivery. Mine was branded as a Continental Cargo.
Tim

Bummer! Mine was ready for pickup on 3/12... So I picked it up last Friday! This was a week or two earlier than I had planned on. They were really reluctant to provide any sort of ETA once I ordered it and that was really frustrating.

So far it looks great!

Just made my first purchase of insulation and am starting that as soon as I get home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sodatrain » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:34 pm

Starting to take plywood off and seeing lots of frame rust... That seems bad. Is it?

Most of what is visible has been sprayed and looks nice.

IMG_2401.JPG
IMG_2401.JPG (634.97 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
IMG_2403.JPG
IMG_2403.JPG (464.6 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
IMG_2402.JPG
IMG_2402.JPG (609.02 KiB) Viewed 3791 times

--
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:00 pm

I think that rust is just surface rust.. They really don't paint that stock steel going into the walls. Both my CTC's had that type of surface rust when I took them apart to insulate.

While I had all the interior plywood off, I sprayed the 3 sides I could get to with Rust Oleum Stop Rust paint.. It should be fine if you do that.

Congratulationson getting the trailer home! It sure looks nice. Now to the task of making all those drawings a reality! Best of luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW... Does that have a Diamond Plate Roof or is that just some trim I am seeing in the Pic?
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:23 pm

I wouldn't worry about the surface rust too much. When I picked my trailer up at the factory I noticed a bunch of unskinned trailer frames sitting out in the field. So I can see how it happens. Once covered and dry, it isn't going to keep rusting. It is however a little unnerving to buy a new trailer and find rust. :(
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby sodatrain » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks for the speedy replies guys. Flboy - I reviewed your current project from the beginning last night (first 20 pages or so) and saw you painted ... So I already had purchased some paint just for this! Just didn't expect it to be so much!

And no... Roof is not diamond. Just the corners. Haven't been up there yet but guessing it's just white aluminum.

Put the reflective coating on, right!?

--
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions