CTC Build Thread - Mid-life crisis-mobile

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: CTC Build Thread - Mid-life crisis-mobile

Postby sodatrain » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:30 pm

Removed 3 of 4 corners pieces (plastic) and hammered down any aluminum trailer skin in the way and now it fits. 2 of the 3 corners still have great stuff in place. Gonna install it and hopefully those corner pieces arent essential....
--
My 7x7x14 Tandem Axel build thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69731
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:10 am

I haven't seen those corner supports with the foam and tinfoil before. Not at all sure that is a standard installation item... If you got it in there and it is screwed in and sealed well, that's all you can do. Just be sure it is attached well. I heard of a guy who took his window out to insulate and didn't screw it in. He lost his window on the freeway somewhere....
just sayin'....

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:42 am

Umm...... When you had the inside walls opened up did you notice if the framing for the window was welded to the stud?
The thought just crossed my mind that those corner supports may be the way the factory attaches the horizontal framing to the vertical studs. I wouldn't expect to see that, but you never know. If possible, you may want to just ensure that the horizontal frame member under the window is attached to the stud. I will try to look at your pics to see if I can tell.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:38 pm

sodatrain, Howdy;

About McD's concern about the strap being the connector for the bottom support for the window.
You could always use some 'L' brackets under the cross bar to add support. Just a thought.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions