Here Goes with My Cargo Trailer Conversion, In this Sub-Foru

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Here Goes with My Cargo Trailer Conversion, In this Sub-

Postby hankaye » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:38 pm

CaleyAnn, Howdy;

I'm surprised the Marines could hit it, let alone turn it into a smoldering lump of twisted metal.

flboy (Don), is the one (of a few), that has the knowledge and the know how tos with electricity,
generally I stay away from that subject.

Happy to read that you are content with the situation as it stands at the moment. And with
experience most tasks become easier and take less time.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:01 pm

So far, so good with the trailer lighting and turn signal electrical. I really do believe that after some 40 years of not using the volt-ohm meter, I just forgot how to. Took me looking at it carefully to finally remember how to zero out things.

I am not doing my lighting and power electrical (seperate from trailer lighting) in the slap shod manner I did before. I have carefully soldered every wire, used shrink wrap, and then reinforce that with electrical tape. I then routed all the wires, now all 16AWG of 14AWG, along the back of the plywood panel, using staples to secure them every foot or so. The wires all run exactly the same path on either side, and avoid any chance of a screw finding them. It also allows me to tell the trailer guys where my wiring is, in case they do put in a side window. Only problem will be they will have to jump the wires in order to route them around a window, but I am guessing that is easy peasy for these guys.

Took me two hours to do this work on the left and right side ply panels. But I guess taking your time to do it the way it should have been in the first place, always takes time. Anyway, I am slowly learning how to do things. maybe, if I do build another trailer, these lessions will come in handy.

The gentleman who suggested carpet on the walls, I took your suggestion to heart, when I thought about just how many splinters I have gotten with this plywood.. I will be using the poiporee thin industrial type carpet tiles> It will definitely give the interior a colourful look.

Whenever I do get everything back together, I will post a few pictures of how things turned out.

EDITED: On second thought, it will be easier for me to just remove a couple of staples, reroute the wires where the window will go, and not pay for these trailer guys having to deal with the wiring. A lot cheaper too, probably.
Last edited by CaleyAnn on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:53 pm

CaleyAnn, Howdy;

Good to read that you have a handle on things and those things are going
smoothly this go-round.
:thumbsup: , :thumbsup: !
Looking forward to seeing what you're doing to the place.

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:52 pm

Took me a few days, but everything is back together, with a couple impovements. To most, you will probably say, "EWWWW!", at the carpet tiles I used. To be honest it would'nt be my first choice, but the budget allowed for only so much. I purchased to boxes of these tiles, none of which match any other tile. I also had to get from Amazon, two rolls of carpet tape, since these so called carpet tiles with carpet tape, actually only had five very small, and short strips of the tape. But, I think things turned out pretty nicely. I guess you could call this mosaic "eclectic".

I also installed on wall table, and I improved the TV base. Before I had just driven in the huge lag bolts, and other supporting screws. This time I took some nice plywood, and carefully drilled all the holes to the sizes desired. I also used a Forstner bit to drill out a shallow area where the bolts and associated nuts could reside. The bolts are just long enough for the 3/4 inch plywood, without protruding.

I do still have to figure some way of covering the area above the Everything electrical box and TV mount. It is still foam with the silver tape. Maybe a few tiles of shaggy carpet cut to shape so it looks more even.

I also have to cut the two holes for the A/C, and put another of those little tables to support it. I will use a ratcheting strap to hold the A/C to the support table. That also allows me to remove and store the A/C unit in the trailer for transport.

And lastly, I still have to drill the one big floor hole that will allow me to put in that electrical cord pass through plug so I can hook up to my generator when on site.

It is pretty much ready to go for now. But I still have to get the trailer dealership to install my new rear door when it arrives. I did change my mind, and will have them install the window in the rear door. That way I have more wall space for whatever other things I might want to install.
Attachments
Table.jpg
Table.jpg (401.2 KiB) Viewed 3925 times
Carpeting.jpg
Carpeting.jpg (314.92 KiB) Viewed 3925 times
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:42 pm

I like it! Glad you were able to make it work!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hader » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:22 pm

CaleyAnn wrote:To most, you will probably say, "EWWWW!"

I don't see no "EWWW!". I see individuality and being you.
Good on you! :beer:
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Stealth TDI » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:52 pm

CaleyAnn,

Too bad we're not closer to one another. I'm considering a teardrop door for the back of my own trailer and would consider buying your door. As I looked at your photo, I had wondered how one would use the teardrop door with the main door latched shut. I'm considering a different approach for my teardrop door. I'm planning to mount mine to a sheet of plywood that's the same size as the rear door. The difference that that my rear panel and teardrop door will swing down from the ceiling when I'm parked. Unfortunately, this idea will not work with your bench in place. My floorplan is more spartan than yours.

I've also considered some sort of "RV door" latch on the main door so that it functions more like a regular door when I camp. Is that your plan for your door?

I like the carpeted wall idea. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Keep up the good work!

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:01 pm

CaleyAnn, Howdy;

Ex-wife #2 & 4 (same person), when we first met, had a family room one wall that was Orange,
one was the brightest Yellowy-Green, one was a light Purple and the other was White. There
was a Black stripe the angled up on one wall, down on another, looked like teeth on a saw for
another then ended as a Black ball about 31/2 feet in diameter off-set from center on the Orange
wall. That gets the "EWWWW!". What you have is very nice, and I mean that sincerely.
You've created a comfortable lookin' place to rest while away from home.
:thumbsup: , :thumbsup: , :applause: , :applause: , :applause: .

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Scott, If I had just hadthe experience before I did the slice and dice for my teardrop door and what I thought would be an RV latch, things would be very different. No, an RV latch will not work with my rear cargo door because the door and trailer frame are offset to accommodate the weather stripping grommet. I thought seriously of just taking the door I botched out, and then adding the teardrop door in that panel, putting it as far right as I could to avoid the bed platform. The problem with the platform is I am six feet tall, and need every inch of the length and width I put into it. The trailer is only 4x6 feet, though in reality it is about 4 inches longer in the middle.

I appreciate your kind words about my carpeting. Tooke me nearly four hours to fit one tile at a time. The measuring of the required holes was really what took the time. I just cut out squares where the 12 volt sockets are mounted, and everywhere else I use a hole saw to cut holes. A couple of places I had to cut from the edge to the hole in order to get the carpet up where I needed it.

Hank, people like some colours because they were exposed to them as a child. Of course, not all people can handle the combinations some people choose. My carpet tiles were get what they put in the box. I tried to group them so that similar tiles were on opposite walls across from each other, and that the colours kind of transitioned from one to a lighter or darker colour. But it was pretty difficult. My bed platform just got covered with what I had left over.

I still need to build a little shelving unit that will contain my batteries. That way, all I have to do is use a double male cigarette lighter (12 volt) cord to power my 12 volt system. Plug one end into the battery, and the other into one of my sockets on my everything electric box. I just have to make sure I don't exceed the amperage, which I believe is 15 amps.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 am

Very Nice Caley Ann,
I'm glad you stuck with it. Use it a few times and then give us an update.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby CaleyAnn » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Hank, Tanks with treads. :D Next month will probably be the first time I will be able to use it. That is, unless I just say the heck with low funds, and just go somewhere nearby to test it out. I did make a vittles run to the base commissary. I just picked up stuff that is either eaten as is, or just requires boiled water. I do have a one burner Coleman stove. Probably all I will ever need, as I am not much into cooking for just one person.

Talking about testing. I finally lugged one of my batteries in, and plugged things in. All is A-OK, as far as I can tell.

I also installed a first alert carbon monoxide and smoke detector. Just hope it never tells me something is drastically wrong.

Anyway, I am now getting my storage boxes filled with things that will be needed, such as the food and drink, and other items that make life a bit easier, as well as clothing. I still need a few items from Amazon, but nothing that will break the bank.

Will let you know what happened when I get back.

Oh! I found a fairly cheap way to cover the foam insulation, as stick on carpeting was not available at my Homely Despotty I just picked up wood grained stick on wall paper. Actually isn't wall paper. I think it is plastic shelf liner, but should work OK.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Great idea on the on the insulation cover!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby CaleyAnn » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:01 pm

I am totally aghast at what I pulled out of my storage room that I have accummulated for camping. When I finally do get on the road, this little trailer will be completely full, from bottom to top. The items are not heavy, just bulky. But the setup I envision at some places I will visit, if space allows will look like the attached.
Attachments
Campsite.jpg
Campsite.jpg (49.32 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:34 pm

CaleyAnn, Howdy;

By golly, ... you're creating a tenting Taj Mahal :shock: , :thumbsup: , :thumbsup:
:applause: , :applause: , :applause: !
Lookin' forward to seein' some pix of the complete set-up when you get to that point.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:06 pm

Hank, First thing I need to do is do a trial run here at my house. Well, I guess my front yard is the biggest area to do that, as my property is pretty small in size. Once I get it all up, I will take a picture. The big things is that I have never put up any of this tent type camping equipment, so I will be learning. Guess that learning at home is the best way to keep the frustration factor down.

I just finished packing everything except the food and clothing boxes, propane, gas can, generator and other power stuff, and I was amazed that what I put inside, took up very little room. Once the awning and side tent are up, I can move the majority of things into that side tent, leaving the sleeper trailer, for that purpose, sleeping.

I still need a spare tire for the trailer. I am still waiting for the local trailer guys to call me about my door being ready to be installed. Will approach them at that time about adding the slide up window. I also need a second stability jack on the other side from the one in the rear, as my trailer tends to sway sideways when I am moving in it.

I also need to find out if the trailer guys have an exterior spare tire mount. I can't keep going around with the spare inside the trailer. I also need some kind of gas can support for the other side of the trailer, so I don't have to carry that gas can inside either my car or trailer. I don't mind water containers inside the trailer or car, but not gas. It's bad enough that I will have my generator and gold mining leaf blower inside and enclosed space, but those two items are costly, and pilferable types.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions