Here Goes with My Cargo Trailer Conversion, In this Sub-Foru

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Here Goes with My Cargo Trailer Conversion, In this Sub-

Postby John61CT » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Carving, sanding, then tung oil. Love the smell!
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks Icon. here I will be doing most of my camping in this micro sleeper, carpet would be a bad idea on the floor. I will be doing tons of digging for gold. Yeah, shovel tons of dirt to get a gram of gold. I put down linoleum tiles so that the floor isn't just wood to get chewed up over time. Probably have to replace the linoleum though. Regardless, of what I used, I will probably have to replace it.

I doubt you meant the carpet tiles for the walls. Of course, I have to fill the extra holes :oops: I created in the wall wood, and then do something, maybe some type of stain that stays a lighter colour, and has sealer included in the application.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby CaleyAnn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:17 pm

John, Tung Oil is banned in California. I am waiting for California to ban breathing.

I'm going to try this, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Deft-1-gal- ... /202016548

Will try to fill holes with this, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-3-75 ... /100376126
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Actually, I did mean carpet on the walls. Does everything you asked for, insulation, less wood, enhance looks, no glue smell.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 am

Icon, Unfortunately my Homely Despotty, does not carry any except the multi-coloured pack, which probably is worse than bare walls. I live in the sticks with the hicks, where rattlesnakes think we humans are beneath them. We don't have much in the way of retail businesses with any kind of variety. One reason I shop Amazon. Will look there4 to see if there is anything I might like.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:13 am

CaleyAnn wrote:Icon, Unfortunately my Homely Despotty, does not carry any except the multi-coloured pack, which probably is worse than bare walls. I live in the sticks with the hicks, where rattlesnakes think we humans are beneath them. We don't have much in the way of retail businesses with any kind of variety. One reason I shop Amazon. Will look there4 to see if there is anything I might like.

It is some work, but why not just seal the walls with something like Kiltz and then put a coat of nice gloss interior paint. Gloss will wipe down nice. I believe that type of paint is made to be compatible with folks and once dried well does very little, if any, outgassing. I'd recommend getting a belt sander and smooth that plywood down some and then you could take some wood type spackle to fill in any voids... With some labor and less than $70.00 in materiel, you could have a bright interior that can be wiped down with any type of household cleaner. I think a gallon of each type would be enough for your trailer.

I thought of doing the same inside my trailer.. but I bought breadboard paneling instead; however the ceiling is luan plywood and the Kiltz and and paint looks good. I still need to do a final coat in my interior because I filled screw holes and etc. in places and now need to final paint. I did paint the ceiling panels before putting them up. I hate painting ceilings and taking paint showers.

Nice thing with the white walls (or any light color you decide on) is you can easily accent with anything you decide to put up. Also makes the small space feel bigger and less like a cave. Just my opinion in any case.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:37 am

Hey Caley Ann,
Here is the product I used on walls and ceiling.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Hobnai ... /202042701
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Hobnai ... /202042703
Your Home depot can get em for you.
Granite color on walls
Taupe color on ceiling

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby CaleyAnn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks Everyone,

I am still debating on what to do. Guess the first step is filling the holes in the wall before I decide on what to do after that. But I still have a couple areas I still have to cover the insulation, or fill gaps where I goofed on the curved areas.

I thought about paint. But I just put the trim strips back on the walls. I guess I could put down a base coat on everything, then paint the strips one colour, and the rest of the walls another.

I think I will be leaving the Luan ceiling ply as is. Probably just paint on some kind of clear finish. I have Helmsman Spar that might work, as it is for outdoor wood. I need to use what I have on hand around the house anyway. If I don't it will just go to waste.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:10 pm

CaleyAnn, Howdy;

I'm stayin' outta the interior decor discussion, according to the ex's, I have no taste,
don't know what all the 27 kijillion shades of blue are and a host of other disqualifiers...
Y'all have fun let me know when the conversion moves on to other types of "stuff"
''cept for elect. no clue there either.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Hank, Don't blame you. There are as many ideas as there are camper trailers. Even though I read that California has banned Tung Oil as another carcenogenic substance, I found some on the shelf of the local hardware store. So I purchased a can, and tried it out this morning. I definitely like the looks. It will probably need two coats to make the colour of the wood shine.

I also tried to do the last piece of woodwork, the upper forward bulkhead, that is completely a compound curved area, concave in shape. Everything I tried was a total failer. I doubt I will ever get this area covered. The only thing I can think of is to put a shelf along the front wall. Maybe I can create some small cupboards. This idea is my last chance to cover the foam insulation. I tried three different materials to cover this area, and found that I just could not create two curved surfaces that would fit properly. And the fact is that there is no place to anchor a sheet of wood, even if I did get the curves right.

Anyway, for now I am just going to stuff something in that area, and use duct tape to cover everything up. Sigh!!
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:54 pm

A really good glue compatible with that specific foam, can stick

FRP

very thin luan (stained, varnished)

or other laminate

With matching edge/corner trims
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:55 pm

John, Are you saying I could spray foam over the entire area, then trim it back flat. Then just glue something over it. Hmmm..... still have that can of spray foam which probably has enough to do the job. Guess I will have to find a way to contain the foam until it dries. Also need to lay down a lot of painter drop cloths. Maybe after it is dry I coild just use fiberglass and epoxy, then paint it with a wood looking paint.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby CaleyAnn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:07 pm

I have to say I haven't purchased much electronics except for laptop computers duringe past 2 the 20 years. The last TV I purchased was a flat screen CRT, The only real flat screen I had was a computer screen. No I go and purchase a 16 inch flat screen TV/DVD, and discover that there is no antenna, and that even with my indoor flat antenna, I do not get any channels on my new TV. I do get 10 using a converter for my CRT TV.

Anyone have an idea on just what kind of small outdoor antenna I can mount atop my trailer so I can get TV? I just do not know what to look for. I get the feeling I need some kind of signal booster. I know it won't improve the picture quality, but maybe I will be able to at least see something. I would also like to power this using one of my USB power ports, if there is such a thing. I probably also need some kind of connector that goes through the wall, so that I can connect the cable to the outside terminal, and another cable to the inside going to my TV.

Yeah it is funny my being one of the few with a CRT TV.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:28 pm

CaleyAnn, Howdy;

I first realized that these newer lightweight tvs don't have the pullin' power of the CRT
types. I think someone, not exactly sure who ( :roll: ), stated that these new ones would
have a hard time pullin' a greased string outta a wildcat's butt ... so, yea, some kind of
signal booster and a RV type of antenna heard a lot of good stuff about this one,
https://kingconnect.com/product/legacy- ... k-antenna/
then find where the repeaters are near where you are going to camp.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Hank, Sure looks geat. Funny, but that antenna will cost more than mt TV. Unfortunately,that model is discontinued, but they put out a replacement, so that is on my wishlist.

It is very possible that back out in teh gold country, I will not get a signal, bit then I have my DVD player. But, whenever I do go traveling, I'm sure there will be some places that do get signalsone gives me . I get the feeling that this trailer, based on how difficult it has been for me to put together, is going to be my last one, and will just have to do until I either win a lottery, someone gives me an RV, or I just poop out, and cannot travel anymore..

Still working on the trailer. Have epoxied the areas I cut through the metal. This expoxy is so strong, that I have seen some models that impacted the ground break everywhere except where they were expoxied.

I finished my first coat of Tung oil, and things are looking nicer. I also used silicone sealant where the manufacturer had put seals, and also put silicone where the door seals are that I cut into. Probably need to do this one more time to make sure I didn't miss anything; same with the places I epoxied.

Now, back out to put on the inside door trim I missed re-installing.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions