Newbie, couple questions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Newbie, couple questions

Postby mikehark4 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:01 pm

I have been viewing this forum for a couple months now. LOTS of great info!

I recently purchased a used Ford Expedition, 5.4l V8 with factory tow package so should have plenty of towing horsepower for a 6x14 or 7x14 single axle cargo trailer with electric brakes.

Just can't decide if buying a 6 wide will be something I will regret later and wish I had purchased the 7 wide instead. I have viewed several posts that recommended purchasing the largest trailer you can afford [and tow safely]. Would like hear your opinions for my purchase decision.

Here is what I plan to do with it. I am retired and plan to go on some long road trips to national parks, stay in some rv parks, do some boondocking in natl forest areas. My wife passed away unexpectedly last year [36 years married] so it will be just be me and my two large dogs traveling around the western US and Canada over several mountain passes in the Cascades and Rockies.

For those who have bought a 6 wide do you frequently wish you had gotten the 7 wide instead?

Is there really that much difference in gas mileage between a 6 wide and 7 wide of the same height and length? [ I am on a fixed income now so fuel costs is one factor for me to consider. As I noted earlier I will be traveling over several mountain passes.]

And as I live in Oregon I was planning on using trailershowroom.com to order my custom trailer. Has anybody had experience with this outfit?

They told me to expect about 2 months from order to finished build. Has that been your experience if you used trailershowroom.com?

Thanks everyone.
mikehark4
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie, couple questions

Postby flboy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:47 pm

I have a 7ft wide CTC so cannot speak to a 6ft. 6ft could not accomodate what I wanted. 7ft did... 8ft was not needed in my case.

You will hear all sorts of anecdotal information on wind drag and etc., but bottom line is the wider, the more impact, but if the narrower trailer cannot accomodate your floorplan.. then what is the purpose anyhow?

I recommend you think through your needed floorplan design, mission, and then figure out how to fit it in and what size you need. It is hard to add height, length, and/or width after you purchase.

One thing to think about is bed position. If you are going to place the bed width-wise, then you need to be less than 6ft tall. Length wise may limit mobility and functionality when set up, especially a double or queen or a 12ft. long trailer.?

This is a decision you have to make.. save some gas and possibly have something you are not happy with, or get what you need and possibly pay more for gas when you do move down the road. It is all tradeoffs.

If gas costs are your primary concern and most important requirement, go as narrow and low as you can and tuck it behind the wind envelope of the Tow Vehicle but consider your comfort.. maybe longer as there is no drag penalty for a few extra feet long.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:56 pm

As Don's mines a CTC so 7' is the ideal width for space and tow ability. Your vehicle will do a 7' easily and cost shouldn't be that much over a 6'. That extra 1' inside allows you to move about a lot better than a 6'.
Im curious if you an get a 7x14 single. 7x12 +v is the longest that was available when I was looking. Different states and manufacture's may be the difference.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby mikehark4 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Padilen, thanks for your advice.

Gas mileage is a factor but not the primary factor. Comfort and not having buyer's remorse is probably my primary decision factor.

So with that said I will probably get a 7' wide single axle with electric brakes.

At Trailershowroom.com they offer a 7x14 single axle cargo trailer for $3,720 with electric brakes.

Thanks guys.
mikehark4
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CoventryKid » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Looks like you already decided but FWIW a friend of mine recently sold his 6'-wide CT and purchased a 7x16 dual axle CT.

He wanted to able to have his bed across the trailer, not lengthways as he was forced to do with his 6 footer.

Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 pm

mikehark4, Howdy;

Welcome!

Having 2 large dogs I would take the 7' er as well. How tall are ya ? another question
you might ponder. The ability to stand erect is a wonderful thing. For 10 years as an
over the road driver I never once had a truck I could stand up in. Best it got for me
was hunched over. So, when I ordered mine it was tall enough to stand up in.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby billbob412 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Who builds a 7x14 single axle before i bought my 7x12 neo i looked and looked for a 7x14 with single axle ,couldn't find anybody that made one.My neo has a 48 in v in the front so i guess some might call it a 7x16 so i'm just saying make sure you know how some of these sleasy dealers are measuring :(
billbob412
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikehark4 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Thanks everybody who has replied thus far.

I am 5'3" tall (or short) so 6' wide would work for me (5'8" interior per manufacturer ). But 7' wide apparently would be even better especially if one of my pre-teen grandkids goes camping with me and eventually grows up to be taller than me.

I plan on starting out simple. Using a cot, camping gear for cooking/heating and portable lights, camp chair, portable folding table, portable toilet, ice chest.

After spending some time camping in it (and reading more posts on this forum) I will then start my design.

Now has anybody dealt with Trailershowroom.com?

Again thanks for your input!
mikehark4
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:47 pm

billbob412 wrote:Who builds a 7x14 single axle before i bought my 7x12 neo i looked and looked for a 7x14 with single axle ,couldn't find anybody that made one.My neo has a 48 in v in the front so i guess some might call it a 7x16 so i'm just saying make sure you know how some of these sleasy dealers are measuring :(
Kind of what I was implying. I've mentioned it often.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:55 pm

mikehark4 wrote:Thanks everybody who has replied thus far.

I am 5'3" tall (or short) so 6' wide would work for me (5'8" interior per manufacturer ). But 7' wide apparently would be even better especially if one of my pre-teen grandkids goes camping with me and eventually grows up to be taller than me.

I plan on starting out simple. Using a cot, camping gear for cooking/heating and portable lights, camp chair, portable folding table, portable toilet, ice chest.

After spending some time camping in it (and reading more posts on this forum) I will then start my design.

Now has anybody dealt with Trailershowroom.com?

Again thanks for your input!
I'm same height, and have 7' wide and high. 7' wide allows bed to be across. Which I like, but I have both.

Padilen
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions