Floor coatings

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Floor coatings

Postby collinC » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:06 pm

I am looking for the best coating for the plywood floor of my new trailer. I would light to use a light grey or tan color. What are the best products to look at.
collinC
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Floor coatings

Postby working on it » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:25 pm

• I don't know what are inarguably the best floor coatings are, but here's my experience with coatings, at least in the TD or TTT world: I like oil-based polyurethanes or oil-based acrylic enamels...period. They penetrate better, and stay in the wood longer, making for lasting durability, IMHO. I've only built one trailer, my 4x8 TTT, but I researched for years to find a moderately priced "wonder" coating. One that would withstand the small trailer camping experience (i.e. >> doors open as much as they are closed, with possible interior exposure to sun & rain, and the exterior usually exposed year-round to the elements), and found several ways to accomplish that goal, but resorted back to using oil-based coatings, with high V.O.C. content (volatile organic chemical suspension media - the part you can smell aways off) that dry quickly, but leave a consistent smooth finish (latex is a problem for me). I used to love lacquers, also with a high V.OC., and also oil-based, before I discovered polyurethane coatings, and their acrylic enamel cousins.
  • My trailer build started as a low/no budget affair, one which I wasn't sure I would complete, so I didn't buy the $100+ a gallon "wonder" coatings I found, or didn't want to try epoxy or fiberglass work again (after several mediocre results, in automotive dabbling). I was willing to use products that I had tried with some success, at least with their past formulations, on other projects, so I ended up using Min-wax and Valspar coatings.
  • I had used Min-wax polyurethane coating on a "nude furniture" make-over, back in the late '80's (at least I think it was poly...I know it was Min-wax), that turned out terrific. And my Grandfather always used Valspar, even though he could get a cheaper Sears brand paint for cost, from my Uncle. He (and I painted his house in the mid-'60's, and it lasted nearly twenty years. I know it wasn't poly or acrylic enamel. but it made me trust those brands.
  • Time passed...time for my TTT build. I did my floor first, using 1/2" birch plywood, covered with softer 1/4" Luan (in order to cover carriage bolt-heads, securing floor to frame). I wanted a tough finish, so I sought out polyurethane, and found Minwax poly at Home Depot. Several coats later, the floor looked great, and has withstood many gallons of water exposure (long story), over the 6.5 years since I coated it. Then, after the sides and top were built, I knew what I wanted to use already...Tractor Supply Company-branded (Valspar) Farm and Implement Paint (Massey Ferguson Grey).
  • I really liked "battleship grey" paint, having built dozens of ship models as a boy, and even painted my room with a special batch of battleship grey enamel, I had concocted at the local paint store (pre-big box store days). My Dad was furious, but it lasted 'til well after I left home (it took many coats of white primer to eventually cover it). I saw a tractor at a Swap Meet that was exactly the right match for my room color, and the guy that owned it said it was Massey Ferguson Grey (a new brand/color combo to me...my only tractor experience was an old 8N, co-owned with my accountant father...it was a lighter grey). If I had ever re-painted my Chevelle, that MF grey was to be the color choice; but instead, I painted my squareback trailer with it, found at TSC, after searching for the color in the Valspar line.
  • So, after much ado, I have three recommended coatings that I would recommend (though the TSC MF Grey is no longer Valspar-made, but now by Majic, it is another choice to consider).
  • Minwax INTERIOR poly floor paint.JPG
    Minwax INTERIOR poly floor paint.JPG (109.83 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
    with an interior-grade coating, my floor is covered with rubber/carpet mats
  • Valspar Tractor and Implement Enamel Paint.jpg
    Valspar Tractor and Implement Enamel Paint.jpg (113.04 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
    my "battleship grey Massey Ferguson Grey" warship/TTT on wheels
  • Valspar INTERIOR or EXTERIOR floor paint.JPG
    Valspar INTERIOR or EXTERIOR floor paint.JPG (70.15 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
    I would trust this coating as an alternative for both interior and exterior, on brand alone
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 pm

What do you plan on hauling? If you want only a paint on solution you might consider garage floor epoxy, or even bedliner. If hauling bikes, a good choice might be the "coin" rubber garage overlays. Otherwise you could use anything from linoleum to hardwoods. The interlocking foam tiles work nice too.

Lots of different builds have used all of those and more. It really does depend on your intended use and how big your wallet is. :o
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby onehoser » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:01 am

i used armor coat porch and floor paint, it's interior/exterior use that dries quickly and is low odor. i can't remember what colours it comes in but i did mine in grey
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby collinC » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:56 am

Rainier70 wrote:What do you plan on hauling? If you want only a paint on solution you might consider garage floor epoxy, or even bedliner. If hauling bikes, a good choice might be the "coin" rubber garage overlays. Otherwise you could use anything from linoleum to hardwoods. The interlocking foam tiles work nice too.

Lots of different builds have used all of those and more. It really does depend on your intended use and how big your wallet is. :o

I will haul my UTV and then use the trailer as a bunk house. I have been considering garage floor epoxy.
collinC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby collinC » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:59 am

Lots of good feedback. I should have mentioned I would like the floor to be non skid.
collinC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:44 am

I used the ATP style vinyl flooring. I haul the Harley to and fro and use trailer as camper. Zero complaints, 2-3 yrs now.
Waterproof and cleans up nicely. Hard to beat the price. E Z install. Use on ramp as well.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-7-5-ft- ... /205442047

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Vspec » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:18 pm

Check my build thread. I used Behr exterior primer and Behr garage floor paint.
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:49 pm

I too used the Behr Garage and Concrete 1 part epoxy floor paint in grey. It is a water based paint that went on well, and It had very low smell. For the most part it held up well. I did get some wear under the legs for my bed. It also takes about a month to get to what I would consider full hardness. It is okay before that, but is much harder with extra time.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions