Bruiser the Adventure Cruiser Offroad Cargo Trailer 6'x12'

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Bruiser the Adventure Cruiser Offroad Cargo Trailer 6'x12'

Postby Adventurous » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:15 pm

Hello there Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers!

I stumbled across this community while researching methods and techniques for converting our recently acquired cargo trailer into a tiny travel trailer. I am part way into the build at this point, but I will soon be stumbling into unfamiliar territory and will happily be requesting your advice. So without further adieu, let me start with the story of how we got here...

Back story: The wife and I have intentions of selling our house, taking the money, and hitting the road. The goal is to head up to Alaska and go as far north as possible, then make our way down the western seaboard, explore the southwest, then head east. Why a trailer? Well, we have 3 dogs and wanted the ability to drop it at a "base camp" then go off exploring in the truck. To this end, I wanted something as small and light as I could get, something large enough to stand up in, and something that was hard sided and weatherproof. The wife requested an indoor bathroom with a separate shower and toilet area. Our first go at the matter looked like this...

ImageIMG_2484 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

...a 20' Fleetwood Wilderness dual axle travel trailer. It had a dry weight of ~3,200 lbs and took about 4 months to tear the inside apart, replace the rotten floor joists, studs, sub-floor, and then put that all back together. We took it out for it's maiden voyage last July on a road trip with the in-laws and I hated every second of it. HATED IT. It was big, cumbersome, heavy, and plain sucked to tow over the high CO mountain passes. So without having ever spent a night in, it we sold it.

We mulled over all of the options, a-frames, other travel trailers, pop-ups, a flippac, a 4-wheel camper, but none provided the space we needed within our budget and at a weight I thought was reasonable. To that end, I found myself thinking that building a trailer might end up being the only way to get what I wanted. Enter Bruiser the Adventure Trailer.

We purchased from Colorado Trailers (https://www.coloradotrailersinc.com) in Castle Rock, CO. It started life as a 6x12' Cargo Craft cargo trailer that we special ordered and upgraded with the following:

Off road package (32" mud terrains, Dexter independent torsion axles)
Black out package
Insulated walls, ceiling, and floor
Black/Blue exterior
Removable front coupler
Spare tire
6'6" interior height
2 side windows
RV screen door in the rear
Driver's side ladder

We placed the order in October 2017 and received the trailer in December 2017. Tada!

ImageUntitled by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Got it all hitched up and dragged it the 50 miles home. It weighs ~1,300 as configured so towing it was, other than the abysmal gas mileage, a relative pleasure. As our intended departure date is in June, the build begins almost immediately.

Truck Build: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threa ... ild-Thread

Trailer Build: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=70064

Instagram: explore_the_untamed
Adventurous
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Bruiser the Adventure Cruiser Offroad Cargo Trailer 6'x1

Postby Adventurous » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 pm

A few shots of the interior before the disassembly phase begins. I'll be taking it down to the frame to weld in reinforcements in target areas to accommodate the exterior accessories as well as the interior cabinetry. I'll also take the opportunity to begin running wiring to accessories. The trailer will not have huge electrical needs, the fridge, a water pump (maybe), LED interior and exterior lights, and a power inverter to support a toaster oven or electric tea kettle (wife's demands).

ImageDSC_3822 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Tape is laying out the floor plan, an official drawing shall follow.

ImageDSC_3824 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

There is a single roof vent at the moment. This shall get replaced with a Fantastic Fan to help improve the airflow in/out.

ImageDSC_3825 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Adventurous
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Adventurous » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Made a bit of progress on the trailer over this past week. I will be adding a few exterior accessories that require a bit of work to the frame, namely the awning and a skylight above the bed area. In preparation for the structural changes I pulled off the walls, the ceiling, and all of the insulation. This also exposed the wiring which will receive some attention of its own.

The interior came out pretty easily after I removed an estimated 10 billion screws. The aluminum skin was screwed to the plywood sub-wall that was screwed to the studs. Once those two were removed I was able to label and pull the insulation. Looking awfully empty in there…

ImageDSC_3848 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Wiring is currently dangling all over. I’ll do a better job organizing and securing it as I run wiring to other stuffs.

ImageDSC_3847 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

My biggest accomplishment however was figuring out how I wanted to secure a few miscellaneous items, namely the spare tire, the battery, and the propane tank. My dilemma was such, I wanted the battery to be tucked away in a locked box safe from the elements and prying hands. It would also need enough space to mount a resettable breaker next to it as I want the shortest unprotected cable run I could muster. For the propane tank and spare tire, they just needed to be in a place that offered them secure passage without having to resort to major structural changes to the shell of the trailer to accommodate. Like most trailers, the tongue stood out as being the best place to fit all of this.

Note that the trailer originally came with a generator platform up front. 20 minutes with a BFH and an angle grinder and it was off. I was left with this real estate to work with.

ImageDSC_3831 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

And my proposed configuration:

ImageDSC_3832 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

I will build a pre-runner type cradle for the spare tire so it can be held down with a ratchet strap. Propane tank will have it’s own platform that will span two of the frame rails. They will both be shielded by a locking, weatherproof metal box that I purchased from Harbor Freight to house the battery. My only concern with this configuration is the amount of weight added to the tongue. If I am doing my maths correctly, it is an estimated 190 lbs (70 lb battery, 40 lb tongue box, 50 lb spare tire, 30 lb propane tank). Tongue weight must have been in the neighborhood of 150 lbs or so empty, so I’m sitting a bit north of 300lbs before building out the inside. With the kitchen, main storage closet, and water tank (5 gals) sitting behind the rear axle, I’m hoping that the tongue weight evens out a bit more relative to my proposed 2,200 lbs’ish gross trailer weight. We shall see…

A few more pics of the proposed configuration:

ImageDSC_3833 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

ImageDSC_3837 by Tim Souza, on Flickr
Look at all that space! I’m hoping the layout is compact enough that I can store other items such as wheel chocks in here as well.
ImageDSC_3835 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

There is adequate space between the propane tank/trailer, spare tire/trailer, and propane tank/spare tire/tongue box to ensure that shifting during operation doesn’t let them contact. Propane tank and spare tire will be offset outboard enough to let the battery cables run unencumbered out of the back of the tongue box and into the trailer along the centerline.
Now, I could have mounted the tongue box by grabbing some self-tapping sheet metal screws and rammed them home. But that would be sloppy, ugly, and have relatively little thread engagement for holding down a 100 lb box that could be bouncing all over. Instead I did it in what I thought was a more elegant way, rivnuts. Step 1 was to get the trailer box in the proper position and evenly spaced on both sides of the frame rails (it hangs over by 1.5”), square to the frame and square to the trailer. Once this was done I traced the frame rails on the underside of the box with a silver Sharpie. With my frame rails positioned I marked out locations of the holes. I chose to go with 6 holes utilizing M8 fasteners.

ImageDSC_3840 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

I was using step drill bits to drill these holes as it gave me a nice chamfered edge. My shop tip, mark the flat of the hole size you want to achieve with a Sharpie. That way when the sharpied line disappears you know you are at the right size.

With the holes in my box drilled I went back to the trailer and replaced it in the desired location. I transferred the bolt pattern in the box to the trailer frame, checked once, checked twice, then started drilling into the trailer frame. For an M8 rivnut, the hole had to be a 7/16”. The two outer frame rails I was able to bore through with the step bits while the center section was double thick and required a second pass with a 7/16” drill bit. After all holes were drilled I shot them with a quick coat of primer and paint.

ImageDSC_3842 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Given that the middle of winter in CO isn’t the best place to ask paint to dry, I hit it with the heat gun after to try and get the paint to dry quicker. It was moderately successful, I think as long as I give it a bit of time to dry out it will eventually. Then came the rivnuts. I hadn’t had an opportunity to use this tool yet, but it was quick and easy to set all 6 nuts.

ImageDSC_3843 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Before inserting them I coated the outside with black RTV. This should minimize the ingress of water from the rivnut/frame rail interface.

ImageDSC_3846 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

All in all things went smoothly. My bolt holes lined up and the box is very secure on there. No pictures of it mounted as I picked up a group 31 Diehard deep cycle battery that will be going in there shortly and it seemed easier to mount the battery tray and breaker with the tongue box off the truck.

Adventurous
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Adventurous » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Part of the plan has been to hang an 8' ARB awning off the side of the trailer. In non-windy situations, it does a great job at providing protection from the elements or a nice place to hang out in the evening. Deployed it looks like so:

Image20160528-IMG_1374 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

For those unfamiliar, the back of the awning is a slotted aluminum extrusion that accepts M6 hex head bolts.

The slots are sized to provide the bolt head with anti-rotation when a nut is installed, however, this also means that the awning needs a bracket of some sort to mount. I haven't seen a ton of awnings on trailers like this, but when I do, the most common way of mounting seems to be extending L-brackets from the roof line down and attaching the awning to those. To me, they never look streamlined, necessitate that the awning is spaced out from the trailer body, and don't provide an interface that I'd trust to hold up to years of abuse.

Instead, as my walls are is 1" tube steel, I decided to weld some brackets on the inside so the awning could mount directly against the body of the trailer. This of course provided a very convenient excuse to justify purchasing a welder. I grabbed a Hobart 140 that I am running flux core wire through.

I started with 1" x 1" x 1/8" angle iron which was cut into ~3" (8) sections then ground to length.

I drilled 2 chamfered holes for the awning bolts, radiused the corner that sits against the aluminum skin, and drilled 3 chamfered holes in the flat that rests against the stud. This is what it looks like tacked into placed.

Image by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Why the 3 holes? I really only have access to weld the interior edge joint. I was concerned that trying to weld too much of the lap joint along the top and bottom edges would push the puddle too close to the aluminum and burn through. I drilled those three holes so I could rosette weld the brackets to the sides and provide additional support so they don't peel off. Given that the extend tof my MIG welding experience is limited to the couple of coupons I ran on Saturday, more welds (provided I don't burn through the material) are probably better, increase my chances of good adhesion. Here they are all tacked in place. Position was established parallel to the roof line.

Test fit was spot on, so I went ahead and finished welding them in last night. I welded the full edge seam, did a partial along the top and bottom flats, and filled all 3 rosette welds. I won't profess to be the world's best welder, but this doesn't look too bad with only a couple of days under my belt. A little bit of wandering, maybe a tad too cold, and a bit more control of the puddle should get these looking much prettier.

As I have insulation and plywood walls interacting with the tubing on which the bracket sits, I flap disked it all smooth. Good news is the welds showed very little porosity and good penetration into both metals. I don't foresee these going anywhere.

There was a little bit of heat distortion as I dumped a lot of heat into relatively thin walled tubing, but probably no more than 3/32". Hoping it didn't move things around enough to throw off the hole alignment, that was one of the biggest risks doing it this way and putting as much weld as I did into those brackets. Got some lap sealant on the way and will probably get things bolted in for good later this week.

Adventurous
Teardrop Inspector

Progress has been slower than I hoped for. Who would have thought building a trailer in the middle of winter might pose some challenges.

Awning is on and it's going nowhere! Given that I'm a stubborn SOB, I managed to install it by myself (just had to prove my wife wrong) using a couple of ratchet straps looped over the trailer and secured so I could lift it into place. Originally I had bolts that were just about spot on the right length, but it proved too difficult trying to line up 16 bolts along an 8' span and get them all through their respective holes. So I switched gears and bought longer bolts that allowed me to get the top row through and with a nut on the back side, but still have enough slack to get some slightly shorter bolts into the track and in the right spot. Afterwards I coated the bolt hole area on the back side of the awning with non-self leveling lap joint sealant, put blue loctite on the nuts, and snugged everything up. Bolts were cut to length afterwards.

Like it was meant to be that way.

Also got into the ceiling vent. That's probably fine for a cargo trailer, but since we'll be living in there, I wanted a multi-speed vent fan. I tried to be nice when removing it, I swear, but there were enough screws hidden under the lap sealant that I got frustrated. And then it was hammer time.

Would you look at that, I can see sky now!

The other thing I've been working on is installing some small, single row LED light bars along the roof of the trailer. They'll all be independently wired and switched, but having exterior lights will be awfully nice. Now when it came to mounting them, it was either use self tapping screws or bolts. I opted for bolts to ensure that the threads made it into the steel tubing instead of having them grab primarily on the exterior skin. Rather than drill and tap each hole, I grabbed some DeWalt impact driver drill taps that made quick work of it.

Highly recommended, they made quick work of it. Lights tuck up nicely!

From there I had to get the cables into the interior of the trailer. I was hoping for a cleaner solution than a grommet and lap sealant, and purchased some Heyco cord grips, which I must say are slick little pieces. They use a buna-N washer to provide a seal against the roof, and have a segmented seal that snugs against the cable as the nut is tightened. Several snow storms so far and the subsequent melting has demonstrated that these things are indeed water tight and I have nothing to worry about.

It was a little bit nerve wracking popping 5/8" holes in the roof of my brand new trailer, but I'll have to look at it as good practice for when I have to start making really big holes. This is what it looks like all put together.

I have 11" light bars along each side and 6" bars along the front and back. Now to dive into wiring everything...

Adventurous
Teardrop Inspector

The highlight of this trailer was always going to be the skylight above the bed. One of the best parts of camping to me is getting out far enough away from light pollution that you can see the countless number of stars and the Milky Way overhead. The prospect of falling asleep to that sounds quite nice.

When the trailer was built, they put a 1.5' wide strip of plywood down the center of the trailer, presumably to add camber to the roof for drainage. Given that this wouldn't provide support around the entire perimeter of our 14" x 30" (inner dimension) skylight, I had to remove the wood and put a wider piece in. Busted out the track saw for its maiden voyage and had myself a 36" piece that tucked up there nicely.

With that in place I set about reinforcing the structure to handle the skylight. My worry was that flexing of the structure would transfer some load to the skylight and either break it, or the repeated cycling would create weak points that would leak. Additionally, with only a few cross members supporting the roof, I didn't have a whole lot of confidence in its strength.

Then came the big moment, time to cut a hole in the roof. I drilled the perimeter of the opening with a 3/8" bit to give myself a guide, hopped up on the roof with my jig saw and metal cutting blade, and made a big hole.

The steel frame did a good job at keeping the jig saw blade on track, but I cut it a smidge smaller than the final dimension. This was followed up with a flap disk in the angle grinder to bring things to the final dimension and make the edges smooth and burr free. Daylight!

Then came time to mount it for good. I'm a bit averse to water leaks, so I went 110% when it came to getting the butyl tape on there. I put a 2" wide strip along the entire flange and followed this up with another 1" strip underneath the screw holes. Once the skylight was in place, I took some more of the butyl tape, folded it to make a rope, and crammed this under the perimeter so I could have a protruding bead. Screws were snugged down, I was happy to see the butyl squeeze out uniformly, then I took a heat gun and softened it up a little so I could cram it under the perimeter again. This will at some point be covered in self-leveling lap sealant, but the temperature and wind picked up yesterday afternoon and I didn't have a chance to do pt. 2 of the waterproofing.

:)

Adventurous
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Adventurous » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:26 pm

All caught up now!

As I begin contemplating how I want to run the electrical and propane lines, I shall query the masses.

Electrical

At the present I was intending to keep the group 31 battery on the tongue and feed power back and forth from it. The more I think about it, the more I think that this may not be the best solution cause:

A) that's a lot of heavy gauge cable
B) that's a healthy sized battery sitting as far out over the tongue as possible
C) it would be a lot easier if the battery was inside

I'm worried about battery venting honestly as I'd much prefer not to blow us up. Know what I mean? Perhaps you guys can suggest to me some better solutions...

Propane

On our last trailer it was black metal piping that ran under the trailer. Given that we are prone to camping off grid and in potentially rougher spots, I'd hate for the propane pipe to be the first thing to make contact with a waterbar. Things that have run through my mind:

A) immediately get propane into the interior, then run rubber hose to the heater (Camco Wave 6, 6K BTU) and the very back for the stove (Partner 18", 20K BTU)
B) bore holes in the frame rails, weld in tubing, then run metal piping through that to where I need
C) get propane into the inside then run copper lines where I want to go

Oh, and did I mention that I'd prefer it to be hidden? Not a fan of stuff hanging out in plain sight if not completely necessary.

Thoughts?

Adventurous
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 7sparky7 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Consider a lithium-ion battery.
It’s lighter and smaller, no venting or watering required. Though they can’t be charged below 32°F.
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby John61CT » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:16 pm

Batt inside not a problem, if FLA don't enclose it fully then you'd want to vent outside
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Perhaps you guys can suggest to me some better solutions...

I'd feel comfortable with an AGM battery inside.

And speaking of which, a Group 31? That's a lotta amps (and lead). What are you powering with it other than the 2-amp draw Fantastic? I've got a Group 27 in our teardrop and I'll drop down to a Group 24 when it's on its last leg.

Nice post, BTW. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:34 am

It sounds like you want to be a little stealthier than me but you might get some ideas from the way I mounted the batteries.
I sure like the accessibility and the weight behind the axle and no venting issues. Keep the pics coming, enjoying your build!
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6 ... 5#p1212969
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Adventurous » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:26 am

7sparky7 wrote:Consider a lithium-ion battery.
It’s lighter and smaller, no venting or watering required. Though they can’t be charged below 32°F.

Thank you for the suggestion! Our itinerary has us going as far north in Alaska as possible, as well as camping out in the Rocky Mountains and during winter, so unfortunately no charging below 32* is a deal breaker. While I should have the heater going and keeping things toasty inside in those conditions, it's not a given.

John61CT wrote:Batt inside not a problem, if FLA don't enclose it fully then you'd want to vent outside

I'm no expert in the subject, but I was under the impression that even sealed FLA batteries off-gas hydrogen and should not be placed in living quarters? AGM to a lesser degree, but they both off-gas and ideally should be vented. Again, this is all just based on internet readings and I haven't seen a definitive verdict on the subject, so my mind is open on this subject.

tony.latham wrote:
Perhaps you guys can suggest to me some better solutions...

I'd feel comfortable with an AGM battery inside.

And speaking of which, a Group 31? That's a lotta amps (and lead). What are you powering with it other than the 2-amp draw Fantastic? I've got a Group 27 in our teardrop and I'll drop down to a Group 24 when it's on its last leg.

Nice post, BTW. :thumbsup:

Tony

Thanks Tony! Electrical demand will be the Fantastic, a 65L dual zone Dometic fridge, the exterior LED lights, interior LED lights, charging cell phones/a laptop, an electric tea kettle (1500W) and/or toaster oven (1000W). Those last two were demands from the wife that drove me to the group 31 over something smaller and lighter. Of course if that is overkill I'd be happy to return it and get a smaller AGM if I could get away with it. Are your power demands similar?

Iconfabul8 wrote:It sounds like you want to be a little stealthier than me but you might get some ideas from the way I mounted the batteries.
I sure like the accessibility and the weight behind the axle and no venting issues. Keep the pics coming, enjoying your build!
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6 ... 5#p1212969

Your thread was actually the one that brought me to this forum, so thanks!

I may end up going a similar route as you did if I can't figure out a way to stuff it inside. Of course I was hoping to use the sides of the trailer to carry bikes as well, best figure this out shortly as I'm running out of space!

Adventurous
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:26 am

Thanks Tony! Electrical demand will be the Fantastic, a 65L dual zone Dometic fridge, the exterior LED lights, interior LED lights, charging cell phones/a laptop, an electric tea kettle (1500W) and/or toaster oven (1000W). Those last two were demands from the wife that drove me to the group 31 over something smaller and lighter. Of course if that is overkill I'd be happy to return it and get a smaller AGM if I could get away with it. Are your power demands similar?

Our power demands are similar with the exception of the Dometic. (We use coolers and ice.) And propane:

Since you've looked up the watts on the toaster and teapot, I'm sure you know how fast they will suck that big battery down to its 50% point. (about a half hour?) Hot water and toast are quicker when "cooking with gas."

We charge our phones (3-4 amps), have a Fantastic fan (2 amp/hours), watch a movie on an iPad (4 amps) and preheat the bed with a 12V electric blanket (4 amps). I can't even measure the power our LEDs use. If I weren't using a CPAP at night, which uses another 2 amps/hour, I'd drop down to a 35 amp AGM. I still might give it a shot.

:thinking:

Tony :beer:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Foy1deR » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:57 am

This is like looking into the future. My wife and I have started planning our build. Our initial plans are a little different from yours but the list of wifely needs are strikingly similar. I'll even be pulling it with MGM double cab long bed Tacoma. We'll be visiting some trailer dealers in the coming weeks to make sure that 6x12 is what is going to work for us.

One question though, I've looked at Colorado Trailers, but being from the right coast, getting the trailer seemed to be an issues as well as the steep buy in. Do you find the build quality to be worth the price? The alternative for me would be to buy something local and then modify it for offroad use after the fact.
Foy1deR
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:26 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: Nice CT trailer and very nice work.

I'm interested in your build and to see the floor plan when it "firms up." We would like to build something similar but maybe not with all your design's off-road capabilities.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions