Cargo Cabin build thread

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Cargo Cabin build thread

Postby AKcargo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:27 pm

I've been lurking a bit and asking a few questions about my project, and I guess it's time to start a build thread. I'm proud of it so far, but I appreciate all feedback, if you see anything that can be improved or changed, don't hesitate. Suggestions are always welcome.

Starting with a 6x12 tall Interstate Roadrunner, the goal is to make something comfortable to live in for extended periods of time, while still keeping some functionality as a cargo trailer to haul a motorcycle or anything else that will fit. There is space to set up a shower curtain and pan inside, but for now I'm not going to worry about showering or hot water, and I don't want to deal with a black water system so there is no permanent toilet. Plans include a freshwater tank and electric pump, kitchen sink, propane furnace, cooktop and fridge, and a 200 watt solar setup feeding a pair of 6v golf cart batteries. I work in Alaska in the summers and want it to be a portable crash pad for pre and post season, and to live in if I end up building an actual cabin someday. I'm building it in Colorado where I've enlisted the help of my Dad who is a career carpenter and cabinet builder, then planning to tow it up the Alcan this spring.
Last edited by AKcargo on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKcargo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Cargo Cabin build thread

Postby AKcargo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:33 pm

This is the rough idea in sketchup, the beds fold out of the way to leave as much cargo space as possible when not sleeping. The new plan is to have the port side stay open most of the time as a dining table/workbench/counterspace, and the starboard will fold down to meet it for the sleeping platform

I'm kind of bouncing around between projects, trying to make the most of good weather when it's here.

The start of the battery tray.
and the roof rack for the solar panels.
The exterior. You can see the LED outdoor light, and second hasp for the cam lock, so no one locks me inside.
Last edited by AKcargo on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKcargo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AKcargo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:10 am

I covered the walls and ceiling with 1 inch of polyiso on top of the studs to prevent thermal bridging.
Then screwed 3 inch wide 3/8 plywood straps over that into the studs.
The factory plywood then was painted black and reattached on top of the straps, leaving an air gap to help keep condensation from being trapped on the wood, and to use as a wire chase.
We installed the 14x21 vertical slider window, which is recessed into the wall plane, since I couldn't find a suitable window for a 3+inch wall and couldn't come up with a clean looking spacer for the trim ring. The frame is actually 13 pieces of barn wood and plywood.
The interior walls are covered in 3/8 thick barnwood that I had resawn from wood I salvaged from old fence panels.
We installed 1/4" Cedar beadboard directly onto the plywood straps on the ceiling.
The first cabinet being built in the shop.
We used pink R-5 XPS foam on the floor because it claims a slightly higher compression strength than the polyiso, then laid the life proof multi-width vinyl flooring on top of that. It's instructions say not to use it on foam, or in RV's so this is kind of an experiment.
AKcargo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:22 am

That's gonna look sharp. I have used that bead board to finish the inside of porch ceilings. I bet the flooring will be fine. That Xps is pretty dense. It is a floating floor correct? I'm not familiar with multi width vinyl. Planks not sheet correct? Well I guess if it starts to act funny just glue it to the xps. and leave some gap around all sides.
That's some fine progress. I can't wait for a day above freezing so I can chip mine out of the glacier that has formed in the driveway. It's parked in front of my shop roll up door but its really frozen in there. It's time to get busy and clean the shop and get stuff done, but winter is just hanging on. There is still 4 ft of snow here. Ughhh....

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby AKcargo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:03 am

Thanks! The floor feels solid underfoot, I'll just have to see how it wears. It's a floating floor I bought at Home Depot, the planks are all about 4 feet long and come in three different widths that snap together. Yeah I'm enjoying the mild winter this year in Colorado. It seems like all of our snow went east. I am a bit bummed about the ski season here though...
AKcargo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:05 am

Lookin good! :thumbsup: I think you are going to love the batteries where you have them. I know I like mine there. So easy to check the water level, no worries about gassing, weight behind the wheels is nice. Just make sure you have a decent theft deterrent. These batteries are too expensive to be giving away. I've done the Alcan highway there and back. It's a long Long drive, but very cool. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Everyone should do it at least once in a lifetime.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby AKcargo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:17 pm

Thanks! I welded up a hinged strap that I can padlock to keep my batteries where they belong. I love the Alcan, it definitely teaches you about patience haha. I think counting all the times when I was a little kid this will be my ninth trip up it. My favorite stop is Liard hot springs in B.C.
AKcargo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AKcargo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Well I got too busy and ran out of time to keep this post updated, but I finished the trailer this spring and hauled it up the Alcan and just got back from working for the summer, so I have a few more pictures to post. I have too big of a sense on my camera to really get a good feel for it, but here are some more close ups of the individual features:

The workbench/dining table

The bed in the folded position, with pegboard and shock cord holding some tools

The bed in the open position, keys into the table and a queensize memory foam mattress topper folds out

The kitchen: 2 burner stove, penny countertop with steel trim and rusty metal backsplash, frying pan hanger with heavy duty magnets to keep them in place, sink and extendable faucet fed by a 23 gallon water tank and electric pump, both in the cabinet in the heated living area to prevent freezing.
AKcargo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:07 am

AKcargo, Howdy;

Dang! Looks just like the sketch-up. Well, your back and posting, so, I reckon the trip worked out and
you made it back in the minimum number of pieces. What lessons can ya pass on to the rest of us about
what you experienced both while traveling and while camping? How's the floor holding up?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby AKcargo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Hankaye, Thanks! The trip went great, everything worked out well for me, the trailer pulled like a dream. The floor is holding up really well, I think next time I'd get some more dense foam for under the floor just to be on the safe side, but I haven't had any problems yet. I found out that the pink board I got is rated at 15 psi and that there are foam boards made for 25 psi and higher. The only other thing I might change would be adding a vent hood over the cooktop, it really steams the place up when boiling anything. Oh, and I might look into swapping for a heavier axle with brakes since I'm a bit over the weight rating already, just to make it easier on the vehicle if I were ever to get a smaller one. The Tundra stops it without batting an eye.
AKcargo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fishboat » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:08 am

AKcargo wrote:This is the rough idea in sketchup, the beds fold out of the way to leave as much cargo space as possible when not sleeping. The new plan is to have the port side stay open most of the time as a dining table/workbench/counterspace, and the starboard will fold down to meet it for the sleeping platform

First post..I recently found this forum..what a wonderful resource!

AK..Nice build! I had a similar idea for the bed-bench after picking up a CTC recently. The previous owner had e-track mounted 2x4's across the back for a sleeping platform. Problem was, that setup cut the trailer in half when the bed was up and, when the bed was up it took out any further use of the wall etracks.

I went with the below(forgive the so-far meatball woodworking..this is all prototype building to proof out the concepts before adding some finesse to the work):

Working well so far..still a ways to go before it's done for real.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:19 am

fishboat, Howdy;

WELCOME to the madness !!!

Now it's time to start your own build thread. You've got some nice stuff goin' on there
Nice sharp cuts, close fittin' joints, even thought to place small thin discs under the feet.
Question, ... what type/kind of support are you planning for weight support under the bed's
platform or do you think the mattress will spread out the weight enough? Just curious.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby fishboat » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:41 am

Yah.. I need to start a thread. I've had the trailer(actually my girlfriend bought it) for a few weeks and have been too busy modeling and building things out..getting ready for some camping trips on the horizon.

As for weight support. It appears to be good as you see it. Feels plenty stable as shaking the bed causes the entire trailer to move, not the bed structure itself. Drive and passenger side weight is supported by three e-track connected hinges on each side. The inside edges are supported by compression-only support of the legs. The unsupported span from outside walls to center legs is 27.5 inches (on 3/4 inch osb). Should be fine as you see it. We'll be using a queen air mattress to sleep on.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions