Musings on a build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Musings on a build

Postby Karebru » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:16 am

It’s too soon to call this a building log. I don’t have a trailer yet, but we’ve been shopping.
Our goal is to build a budget minded, mini toy hauler in the 6x12 – 6x14 range. I get to have fun exercising my woodworking trade.

I’m going to randomly type out some thoughts on the project.
Please feel free to comment.
(This might get long.)

I was originally thinking that ordering a 7 foot wide model would give us more interior layout options, but our large local dealer can give us a much better price on any of the 6 footers that they regularly have on the lot. Wind resistance is a consideration too.

My tow vehicle is a 2017 Nissan Frontier, V6, Crew Cab. Towing capacity – 6500lbs.
I’m sure I can come in well below that. I had it in my mind that a single axel would be plenty and would help keep the weight down, but the salesman mentioned that a double axel is more forgiving when it comes to weight distribution. – Something I’ve been wondering about in my planning thoughts. Brakes come standard on a double axel too.

We’re getting older and we want to keep it simple. Our camping will be confined, for the most part, to parks and campgrounds with bathroom and shower facilities and hookups. We do, however, want to avoid late night treks to the bathroom, so a porta-potty in a small, private compartment is a must. Also, a sink with a 10 gallon or so, gravity feed water supply for washing hands and brushing teeth, etc. with a portable greywater tank in the cabinet below. That’s about it for plumbing.

For electricity, I’m thinking a 110 system that powers lighting, air conditioning, a small microwave, and a small refrigerator that can double as an ice box. Also, a few 12 volt dome lights on a deep cell battery, just in case. I’m leaning towards a small window unit mounted partially inside a cabinet for air conditioning. They’re cheap to the point of being disposable and I’ve seen lots of ideas on how to rig them. I don’t like the idea of a roof mount. The mini split units are intriguing, but expensive. I don’t know how one would hold up to the jolts and vibrations of the road.
Cooking will be outdoors on a camping stove or grill. I want to stay away from plumbing propane through the trailer.

Our “toy hauling” will only consist of a pair of three-wheelers. (bicycles)
My plan is to have a ramp rear door. Just inside the ramp and mechanism, I would mount an aluminum screen wall similar in construction to a pool enclosure or add-on porch. It will have a 3’ screen door for getting the bikes in and out. Most of our camping will be in Florida and the southeast. Along with a couple of windows, this should give us great air circulation on nights when we don’t need the AC.

The bunk will consist of two twin beds. One fixed with storage below, and one that folds up to make room for the bikes and other gear. When down, the two will come together as a king size.

The trailers we’ve looked at were made by Forest River. They did a nice job with the interior plywood on the walls. Instead of tearing it out to insulate and run wiring, I’d be tempted to leave it and just add ¾” furring strips for the insulation. Then attach my ¼” plywood paneling. I think I can spare the inch. It might require some additional trim work around the window frames, etc.

I worry about roof leaks. I’ve thought about giving it a good coat of mobile home roof paint right from the get go… Just as a little added precaution.

That’s it for now.
Thanks for reading.
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Re: Musings on a build

Postby CoventryKid » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:56 am

Karebru:

Just a couple of thoughts:

I had a Pace American 6x10 single torsion axle trailer years ago. When loaded with tools it did not bounce like a spring axle trailer would have. It had brakes. I never intended to convert this trailer.

My 7x16 came with spring axles and brakes. Weighs in around 4000 lbs and tracks like a dream with an weight distribution hitch. After moving from east to west coast, I converted this trailer. Conversion plan was in place before we bought the trailer

I'm currently working on a slightly larger trailer (7.5x18) that will include a separate bedroom and a dedicated shower, two things we don't have now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is plans will evolve so perhaps sometimes "bigger is better".

Just food for thought.

Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby MrBo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:17 am

If it is between the 6x12 or 6x14 go with the 6x14, you will not regret it. As stated above... bigger is better.
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby Karebru » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks for the responses and links, guys.
This actually has evolved into "bigger is better." A few years ago I was thinking about teardrops. ;)
I'm going to stop in again this week and talk to them about a 14. As I start adding things up, that 2 feet makes a big difference.
It's probably only a few hundred dollars and a few pounds.
I don't think I want to go any bigger.
It's the "Goldilocks Factor." My wife and I are boaters from way back. We started out with a mid-size, then went bigger with a cabin etc. Then we went small... Too small for a couple of arthritic old folks. I just washed her and am getting her ready to sell.
The big boat was great, but more expensive to run, and more stressful to tow and load. I also blame it for shortening the life of a very expensive F-150. That mid-sized boat was "Just Right." We had some good times with it. 8)
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby MrBo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Funny the same thing with us... starting with a teardrop. Then we looked at one and decided it was too small for our needs.

Ended up with the 6x14 because of size and weight. IT is the perfect size for me and my wife. We also just did a stove and sink with a porta potty that pulls out from under the bed. Mainly for emergencies and for my wife.

Love it!

Wishing you the best with your build!

:thumbsup:
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:22 pm

Welcome to the madness! My simple advise would be: If at all possible get a trailer you can stand up in. Sometimes you have to look a little harder to find extra height trailers on the lot. But IMHO definitely worth it.
Good luck and I'm looking forward to your build.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby ris » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:47 am

Your picture of a Caracara made me wonder if you are a birder. We also live in Florida. We are boaters also. What kind of boat do you currently own. We have a MacGregor 26X that we use as a trawler. There are lots of trailer manufacturers in South Georgia. We bought ours in Douglas. When you start putting beds, cabinets, toilet ect. in a trailer it really starts to shrink. The great thing about the cargo trailer is you get to customize it, to fit your use. We are going to live in ours for extended periods and had the time and money to make it a tiny home. So we spent a lot of time making it the way we wanted it. This use also dictated that we get a 8.5 X 18. Our build is down the build page listed as ris 8.5 X 18 new trailer build. We put our a/c in the back wall. If you put it in the side of the trailer check out flboy's build. Don has a toy hauler like you are wanting to build.

Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:12 am

It's early and I'm getting off to work. So I'll admit I haven't read all the replies.
The reason your getting a good deal is it's 6' wide. Doable for a conversation, but when tow capacity is there 7' would be better.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby NO David! » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:48 am

Welcome!
Most of your musings sound familiar to me, so here's my simple build. We've got most of your needs covered with our modular setup. We actually use the twin military cot bunks more than the Click/Clack sofa. Our kids are grown, I considered downsizing, but just the two of us really enjoy the space. We just load whatever gear we want for that particular trip, and we're off. We can load/unload kayaks even with the A/C unit in place, I imagine my 7' wide could load a three wheel bike in the one open door space. Cook outside, heat with a portable ceramic heater. Simple 120V/12V circuits.
Order what you want from the factory, it will be well worth it the few extra dollars. In my case, windows, RV style door, stab jacks, single step, and 6" additional height, color to match the tow rig. My trailer was ~ 2,200LBS delivered, now ~ 3,000LBS loaded. I purposely chose tandem not for weight capacity but for ride, handling, and the "extra" spare tire concept. With the insulation, our removable A/C Closet is more than capable. The biggest issue in towing is wind resistance for us. I've learned to slow down and plan a little extra drive time. Even with my Ford van tow rig, I've yet to find a restaurant parking lot I couldn't swing around in with a little forward look and planning. (A certain Taco Bell lot nearly got me one time, but I wrangled out of that one...).
Last, whatever size you choose, order it 2' longer than you think you need. Thank us later. :)
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby Karebru » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:01 pm

So much for my Goldilocks theory... I looked at a nice, in-stock 7' x 16' x 6'6" today.
I could fit everything I want in to that without wonder how the heck I'd manage it.
The weight is very workable... :thinking:
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Karebru » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:17 pm

ris wrote:Your picture of a Caracara made me wonder if you are a birder. We also live in Florida. We are boaters also. What kind of boat do you currently own. We have a MacGregor 26X that we use as a trawler. There are lots of trailer manufacturers in South Georgia. We bought ours in Douglas. When you start putting beds, cabinets, toilet ect. in a trailer it really starts to shrink. The great thing about the cargo trailer is you get to customize it, to fit your use. We are going to live in ours for extended periods and had the time and money to make it a tiny home. So we spent a lot of time making it the way we wanted it. This use also dictated that we get a 8.5 X 18. Our build is down the build page listed as ris 8.5 X 18 new trailer build. We put our a/c in the back wall. If you put it in the side of the trailer check out flboy's build. Don has a toy hauler like you are wanting to build.

Richard

Richard, I use that avatar on a couple forums, but you're the first one to recognize it. I've been asked more than once. I'm not a birder hobbyist, but who can live here and not appreciate them?
I'm trying to sell a somewhat overly equipped Carolina Skiff 14. The previous one was a Century 22 Walk around. When we weren't offshore fishing in the Keys, it wore a full canvas cockpit enclosure for camping.
We did a lot of weekends in the Pine Island Sound area.
I sure miss those low tide sunrises and watching the birds and bait fish start their day.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby ris » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:45 pm

We love fishing around Cabbage Key, flats on the north end of pine island, islands near pineland and pelican bay. For years we had access to the red shack on the water were the 5 shacks sit in the water between pine island and cayo costa island. We also sometimes stay in the county and state owned cottages in Bokeelia on the north end of Pine Island. Love the Salt Water Smoke House. We are birders and the Caracara have been moving north and are expanding there territory. We have a pair that started nesting here in Frostproof 3 years ago. We never saw them this far north 10 years ago. Do a lot of research before buying your trailer and ask a lot of questions. It will save a lot of money in the long run.

Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby Karebru » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:16 pm

Sounds like you know the area. I've been up that way several times, but the Caloosahatchee, Saint James City, Punta Rassa and Sanibel Causeway area is as familiar to me as my own backyard.
My daily travels take me through the rural, Buckingham area, east of Fort Myers. I see caracaras fairly often, and what I assume was a pair together, once.
Also, our "majestic" bald eagle feeding on roadkill with a flock of vultures on more than one occasion.
Osprey have more dignity, if you ask me. ;)
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Karebru » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Update!:
A 2019, 7 x 16, duel axle it is!
I should have it tomorrow.
It's either 6'6" or 6'3" high inside. That's just right for us.
The labels say Forest River but the model number says Continental Cargo.
All the same company, I know... Totally confusing.
Generic white, .030 gauge/semi screwless.
Nothing fancy, but I know a guy who specializes in sheet metal and diamond plate, and my nephew does wraps and graphics... If I wanted to dress it up.
I'm sure there are better made, pricier trailers out there, but I'm around beat up old delivery and tool trailers every day.
I've seen where they fail. From the looks of it, this one should hold up just fine if I don't abuse it.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Karebru wrote:Update!:
A 2019, 7 x 16, duel axle it is!
I should have it tomorrow.
It's either 6'6" or 6'3" high inside. That's just right for us.

Nice! That should give you lots of room to work with. Looking forward to pics. Exciting times. :woohoo:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions