Karebru's 7x16 Build Log

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Karebru's 7x16 Build Log

Postby Karebru » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:29 pm

rjgimp wrote:
Karebru wrote:Once I removed the factory flip-out extension piece and it's hinge, the ramp became too light. I had to weigh it down to keep it from slamming shut.

Aren't you able to adjust the spring tension?

I'm able. It's just not something I was looking forward to.
For now, I don't need to. The cover I built over it is removable if it needs work later.
I guess I just have a healthy respect for anything under tension or pressure.
Not a fear. Just an... awareness. :roll:
;)
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Karebru » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:45 pm

Air Conditioner Update:
It's a warm, very humid, late summer evening in southern Florida.
I finally installed baffles inside my air conditioner shroud to separate the inflow from the outflow.
(Left over, 3/4" foam insulation board and duct tape.)
It made all the difference in the world.
Never doubted it was necessary, Don. Thanks. ;)

Down to a "frigid" 74 degrees in one hour! (In the warmer months, we keep the house at 77... 76 at night.)
So, we're good to go with the 5,000 BTU. 8)
The sound changed... Some kind of low harmonic hum, but being 3/4 deaf, and not being one to sleep wearing the cursed hearing aids, I don't care. :roll:
The wife says it's okay. I have to trust her ears.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby rjgimp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:28 pm

Karebru wrote:I just have a healthy respect for anything under tension or pressure.

Oh I get that, I do...
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Karebru » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:42 pm

Final Touches!
2 years, 5 months, and it's finally a camper! :beer:
Sure, there'll be more to come. Like a TV, etc. but she's ready for a shakedown weekend. Reservations are made at a local state park, for the 1st of November. We're hoping for some fall weather so we can take advantage of the new ramp door screen enclosure, and enjoy some wide-open cool night air.
:thumbsup:

Like every detail, this final outcome evolved from the original concept. It has one big section that unsnaps at the bottom and rolls up for loading and unloading. The Sunbrella panel across the middle is for the sake of a little modesty.

Here's all that's exposed of the above mentioned ramp lift mechanism. It would take a little work to open it up for servicing, but t can be done.

And finally, a pull-out step for the entry door.

See ya in the woods! :campfire:
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby foxontherun » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:27 pm

Looking good! :thumbsup:

Is the bed/couch of your own design or from some kind of plans? Also, where did you order your foam for the bed?

Just got back from 11 days in the Smoky Mountains and Cherokee Forest. Awesome weather; had to take a break from working on trailer and use it, ha! Right now we just drag the full size mattress off the guest room bed in house and put it on temporary bed frame in our trailer.

Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby Karebru » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:15 am

foxontherun wrote:Looking good! :thumbsup:

Is the bed/couch of your own design or from some kind of plans? Also, where did you order your foam for the bed?

Just got back from 11 days in the Smoky Mountains and Cherokee Forest. Awesome weather; had to take a break from working on trailer and use it, ha! Right now we just drag the full size mattress off the guest room bed in house and put it on temporary bed frame in our trailer.

Harry

Thanks, Harry.

Pintrest is loaded with ideas for the expanding bed frames. I just took that and made it work.
The mattresses were ordered through Amazon. Mine happened to come from Fortnight Bedding. I thought they were pretty nice for the price. Better than just an uncovered hunk of foam. I ordered same size, fitted mattress pads while I was at it... Something washable to protect them.
I can get in trouble, opening Amazon. I have to be careful. :money: ;)

I haven't been in the Smokies since I was a kid, but I remember it being beautiful. Maybe next year. :vroom:
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Karebru » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:19 am

Had a little issue with the screen panel. He made it very tight, knowing that it would stretch, and it caused a small separation. It has been repaired and back on the camper for a few days and is starting to relax. :thumbsup:

After beefing up my at home shore power connection, I ran the AC again for a few hours... 68F and still dropping, on a warm muggy evening!

Our first trip is coming up. Beagle Sadie was a real sailor in her day, but at 15, she's really wobbly on her feet. I hope she enjoys the adventure like she used to.
(Or we'll all be miserable.)

In her glory days, when she was still a tri-color...

Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Karebru » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:40 pm

I believe I've mentioned that I hate electricity? :fb
I lost the running lights on the trailer. It blows the fuse in the truck as soon as I turn them on. Turn signals and brake lights still work. The only change I've made was to bond my 120 ground to the frame... I can't imagine.
I'll just have to stay off the roads at night until I can trace it down.

Shake-down trip is Sunday and Monday nights. Only an hour or so from home, but ya gotta start somewhere.
Looks like we'll be getting back to back "cold" fronts over the weekend, and we'll be blessed with our first real fall weather of the year.
It's been a gazillion years ...but we'll figure it out. :campfire: :Flippin Burger: :goodnight:
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:45 am

Sorry to hear that. Could be hard to find with walls sealed up. Will have to narrow it down by pulling lights and interrupting the chain. Can start by breaking in half and then so on. First inspect all wiring you can see, however.

Have you driven any screws near the running lights wiring recently?

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:55 am

flboy wrote:Sorry to hear that. Could be hard to find with walls sealed up. Will have to narrow it down by pulling lights and interrupting the chain. Can start by breaking in half and then so on. First inspect all wiring you can see, however.

Have you driven any screws near the running lights wiring recently?

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Thanks, Don.
Screws and nails were the first thing I thought of. I've always had a knack for "finding" water pipes when I install cabinets. So...
The frame for the rear screen went in since the last time I had working lights. The wires for the lower side clearance lights run down right through there from the top.
That might be the place to start.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby ris » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:13 am

Why do you feel you need to run the ground to the frame of the trailer? We only have two 120 volt outlets but they are usually used only when hooked into shore power. The rest of the trailer is 12 volt just like our boat. Is there some problem with running an 5000 btu a/c or a 1200 watt heater on a generator without grounding to the trailer frame?
Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:11 am

ris, Howdy;

I posted this a short time ago. Read some of Mr. Sokol's information. These
articles are geared to the RV folks. But apply to our requirements as well.

Howdy All;

As usual, I tend to stay away from electrical advise items here in the forum.
However, I input this, a list of free articles from a guy that IS an electrical Expert;
First here's his resume;
https://www.rvtravel.com/mike-sokols-qu ... al-expert/
Here's the list of articles;
https://www.rvtravel.com/category/rv-el ... ewsletter/

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Karebru » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:20 pm

There were times when I had my doubts that I'd ever get here, but here it is... My first trip picture post!

Koreshan State Park, Estero, Florida.
It's only an hour or so from the house... If you don't realize half way there that you forget your wallet and have to go back for it. :whistle:
We hadn't been there in about 40 years. So, why not? It actually makes it perfect for those quick weekends in the woods.

First real cool weather of fall, and a high-pressure sky over the south Florida scrub. The picture doesn't do the beautiful blue justice.

A couple of lived-in shots of the inside...

Sadie tending bar... (She's gonna run for Congress in 22.)
I happened upon a moving sale, and picked up that beautiful, hand-made quilt and a new-in-the-box Coleman Camp Stove, for the price of the stove. I'm almost afraid to use the quilt in the camper, but the colors are perfect.

Sleeping Gopher Tortoise warming in the sun...

The wife and I were tent campers way back, before taking it to the water. Now we're back on land, but too beat up to sleep on the ground. So this was the answer.
A little bit of "glamping" along with the old, from the "Kumbaya days" of my 60's childhood... Cooking over the fire, or on an old Coleman Camp Stove, under the light of a pumped up and hissing Coleman lantern... Then, sleeping on a real mattress in the AC.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:37 pm

Simply awesome! Congratulations on the maiden voyage. You did a first class job on your CTC. I wish I had those kind of wood working skills!

Looks like you had a great time! BTW.... I'd vote for Sadie! She's probably more competent that half the clowns in Tallahassee and Washington DC now.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:53 am

flboy wrote:Simply awesome! Congratulations on the maiden voyage. You did a first class job on your CTC. I wish I had those kind of wood working skills!

Looks like you had a great time! BTW.... I'd vote for Sadie! She's probably more competent that half the clowns in Tallahassee and Washington DC now.

+1 on what Don said. You have a beautiful and functional CTC!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions