Karebru's 7x16 Build Log

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Karebru's 7x16 Build Log

Postby flboy » Thu May 10, 2018 6:30 am

Karebru wrote:A Frigidaire, 5,000 btu.
I'll make my enclosure big enough for something larger, if it turns out I need it.
That is a good idea. Never know what size difference you may need if you need to replace. That is one advantage to the window units. If you are on the road and it fails, you can toss it out and pick up a new one for less than $200 just about anywhere instead of having to find a place to take your CTC and leave it or take it off the roof and leave a hole and wait for days and probably pay alot more that it is worth to fix it.

They all break sooner or later, and when they do, it is never a good time. :-)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Fri May 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Happy Friday, Y'all! :beer:
The last of everything I've ordered came today. (Windows)
Time to order more stuff!
I started removing plywood this afternoon. I am officially in dry dock, and will be cutting holes soon.
The wife and I need to come up with an electrical plan while I'm insulating, and run some wires before the plywood goes back up and the ceiling is covered.
The little bit of plumbing, I can run through the floor.
Speaking of floors... The Depot sells PVC "garage flooring" I'm liking the battleship gray diamond-plate, and it comes in a roll that would do my floor and drop gate with very little waste.
I'm guessing I wouldn't be the first one to go this route.
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Joel.brian » Fri May 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Karebru wrote:Happy Friday, Y'all! :beer:
The last of everything I've ordered came today. (Windows)
Time to order more stuff!
I started removing plywood this afternoon. I am officially in dry dock, and will be cutting holes soon.
The wife and I need to come up with an electrical plan while I'm insulating, and run some wires before the plywood goes back up and the ceiling is covered.
The little bit of plumbing, I can run through the floor.
Speaking of floors... The Depot sells PVC "garage flooring" I'm liking the battleship gray diamond-plate, and it comes in a roll that would do my floor and drop gate with very little waste.
I'm guessing I wouldn't be the first one to go this route.

I’m curious to see what this flooring would look like, I went with the peel and stick wood look vinyl for about $.80 a square foot, I’ve been satisfied with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Fri May 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Karebru wrote:Speaking of floors... The Depot sells PVC "garage flooring" I'm liking the battleship gray diamond-plate, and it comes in a roll that would do my floor and drop gate with very little waste. I'm guessing I wouldn't be the first one to go this route.

I am using the black version of that in my CTC. I really like it. It was easy to work with and after 2 years and many trips, it still looks new. It was not in the store so I ordered online.

It is a little slippery on the lift gate if you have wet tires and a steep angle. Just be aware of it loading. Also, it takes a little more effort to sweep out just because of the topography.

Here is a pic to give you an idea what it looks like all down. I just recently bought the aluminum trim to finish the trim on the ramp. I need to install that soon. I installed it before I put the walls, or etc. down so it is under everything.

Last edited by flboy on Fri May 11, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Joel.brian » Fri May 11, 2018 6:35 pm

flboy wrote:
Karebru wrote:Speaking of floors... The Depot sells PVC "garage flooring" I'm liking the battleship gray diamond-plate, and it comes in a roll that would do my floor and drop gate with very little waste. I'm guessing I wouldn't be the first one to go this route.

I am using the black version of that in my CTC. I really like it. It was easy to work with and after 2 years and many trips, it still looks new. It was not in the store so I ordered online.

It is a little slippery on the lift gate if you have wet tires and a steep angle. Just be aware of it loading.

Here is a pic to give you an idea what it looks like all down. I just recently bought the aluminum trim to finish the trim on the ramp. I need to install that soon. I installed it before I put the walls, or etc. down so it is under everything.

What was the cost? I like it.

Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Fri May 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Joel.brian wrote:What was the cost? I like it.

It has been over 2 years, but I seem to remember it being about $99 a roll. I took me a little over a roll and a half because I did the lift gate which is about 7' long and then to the tip of the V from the back is 20' on the center. So if you can get by with one roll, it is about $99 plus about $30 for the adhesive and $5 for the glue trowel if you don't have one.

Wear clothes you don't mind tossing. I am very messy and that glue/adhesive does not come off so be careful where you get it.

There are less expensive ways to cover the floor that are really nice for sure. I really liked the look of this so that is what bent me that way.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Joel.brian » Fri May 11, 2018 6:58 pm

flboy wrote:
Joel.brian wrote:What was the cost? I like it.

It has been over 2 years, but I seem to remember it being about $99 a roll. I took me a little over a roll and a half because I did the lift gate which is about 7' long and then to the tip of the V from the back is 20' on the center. So if you can get by with one roll, it is about $99 plus about $30 for the adhesive and $5 for the glue trowel if you don't have one.

Wear clothes you don't mind tossing. I am very messy and that glue/adhesive does not come off so be careful where you get it.

There are less expensive ways to cover the floor that are really nice for sure. I really liked the look of this so that is what bent me that way.

I like it too. I spent about 120 on my wood look vinyl and it was a super easy application. I’m just currently looking for something for my liftgate and I might go with this.

Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Karebru » Fri May 11, 2018 6:59 pm

flboy wrote: Also, it takes a little more effort to sweep out just because of the topography.

:lol: My wife just hit me with that concern when I was describing it to her.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Fri May 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Joel.brian wrote:I like it too. I spent about 120 on my wood look vinyl and it was a super easy application. I’m just currently looking for something for my liftgate and I might go with this.

It looks nice for sure.... but be aware that it is slippery on the lift gate with wet tires on the bike. It is something to be aware of. I have only had a problem when the gate was very steep and loading my big Victory which is very heavy. Back wheel just spun. I had to get to a place where the lift gate was inclined less.

The dirt bike is not an issue since they are relatively light.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Fri May 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Karebru wrote:
flboy wrote: Also, it takes a little more effort to sweep out just because of the topography.

:lol: My wife just hit me with that concern when I was describing it to her.

LOL.. it is not that bad.. just something to think about. Not a deal breaker for me since I liked the look the most.

However, when I get home, I usually just open the front door, let down the ramp and grab my weed blower. Then a quick mop out and I am ready for the next trip. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Joel.brian » Fri May 11, 2018 7:06 pm

flboy wrote:
Joel.brian wrote:I like it too. I spent about 120 on my wood look vinyl and it was a super easy application. I’m just currently looking for something for my liftgate and I might go with this.

It looks nice for sure.... but be aware that it is slippery on the lift gate with wet tires on the bike. It is something to be aware of. I have only had a problem when the gate was very steep and loading my big Victory which is very heavy. Back wheel just spun. I had to get to a place where the lift gate was inclined less.

The dirt bike is not an issue since they are relatively light.

Good to know

Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Karebru » Fri May 11, 2018 7:18 pm

flboy wrote:However, when I get home, I usually just open the front door, let down the ramp and grab my weed blower.

Git er dun!
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Sat May 12, 2018 8:23 am

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-7-5-ft- ... /205442047

Works great! 2 years Harley and Indian in and out many times. Waterproof, easy to hose out and shines like new with vinyl floor cleaner. Traction on the ramp is much improved especially when wet. Also acts as a vapour barrier of sorts. When I roll the Harley out I have a wool rug that covers the cargo area and really helps insulate the floor. Very liveable even in Montana winters. I would use it again for sure. The price is hard to beat. $99.00 shipped

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sat May 12, 2018 8:48 am

That's it.... same stuff I used from Home Depot. I had a little different experience with the big bike and wet tires, but I had the ramp on a steeper incline the way I was parked. Just be careful and you'll be fine.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Sat May 12, 2018 11:01 am

No worries here. We'll just be walking bicycles up the ramp.

I got the plywood off on the left side this morning. I bought two of these to cut around the nails and promptly broke the teeth off on all 4 ends...
I'm glad I didn't give up and toss them. With a little pressure, the nubs of the teeth still do the job. 8)

Some of the aluminum didn't adhere to the framing in one area but it happens to be right where I need to cut a stud for my AC vents. It'll save me from having to peel it loose to make my cuts and add the horizontal framing.

My floor is creaky and it drives me nuts. While I have the walls down, I'm going to pull the floor up too, and glue it down. (They used real screws!!!) I thought I might also slather on a heavy coat of polyurethane to the underside, while I'm at it.

I may as well just pick up a whole case of construction adhesive for this project. I'm gonna need it. ;)
Karebru
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions