DomoArigato's 7x16 Homesteader Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: DomoArigato's 7x16 Homesteader Build

Postby phoenixbound » Wed May 09, 2018 10:09 am

domoarigato wrote:I started by adding an 15'x8' awning, then insulating the walls in sections while also cutting holes for windows.. 2 windows 18"x42", 1 window 12"x24"..

Wow! Nice job on the awning. Any tips on the install? It's a two man job to get it attached, right? Also, how did you know where to mount the struts on the trailer? Once again, very nice job. Hope mine turns out that good.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby Joel.brian » Wed May 09, 2018 11:30 am

flboy wrote:
Joel.brian wrote:I like how you did your ac unit. Any more pics of that? I’ve never installed one before and sort of struggling on how I should do it.
Check out Karebru's post on Aiconditioners and Refridgerators also. He has a design using side vents. I also posted pics of my install in that thread. Between the three installs, you should get the idea how it needs to be done. There are several ways to do it. Some very creative ways depending on your space needs and desire for stealth, or adversion to cutting holes in the roof, or etc.. Iconfabul8's thread also has one of the best ramp door mounts I have seen. Very creative!

The good thing is that there are many ways to make it work and the AC can be sized right for the area to be cooled, and will allow you to keep your 14" hole in the roof for a Fantastic Fan or etc. which will get used alot.. probably more than the AC depending on time of year and location.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1229057#p1229057

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I appreciate it! Got some ideas going through my head now. Hoping not to cut the frame still...
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby phoenixbound » Wed May 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Wow! Nice job on the awning. Any tips on the install? It's a two man job to get it attached, right? Also, how did you know where to mount the struts on the trailer? Once again, very nice job. Hope mine turns out that good.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:50 pm

hankaye wrote:domoarigato, Howdy;

WOW, that's a lot of steel your putting in there, any idea how much it's adding to your gross weight?

hank

I am willing to bet that thin wall square tubing weighs less than a 2x2. Anyhow, good to see another iron fab man on the forum.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed May 09, 2018 2:04 pm

I like the steel fab. I just dont possess the skill or tools to do that. Very nice in any case.

Maybe more expensive and overbuilt... but it will never come apart! Or maybe not if the mission will be all over terrible washboard roads.

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby domoarigato » Wed May 09, 2018 2:16 pm

hankaye wrote:domoarigato, Howdy;

WOW, that's a lot of steel your putting in there, any idea how much it's adding to your gross weight?
I like the mini stove and oven, had a neighbor that had some problems with his, turned out to be the
regulator, something to do with metric v. US orifice size or something along those lines. Sorry, it's early
and it was 4 years ago.

Overall very impressive job you're doin' there :thumbsup: , :thumbsup: . Lookin' forword to seein'
more of your skilled work.

hank

Hey there Hank. The tubing that I am using in the trailer has 16 Ga walls (.065"). The bathroom walls (2"x1") are approx 100lbs total at 1.3 lbs per ft. The AC stand is made from 1x1, which is .8 lbs per ft. It does add some weight, but it also add stiffness to the trailer as a whole. When I shake the bathroom walls, they don't budge but the whole trailer rocks. The bathroom is sitting on top of and in front of the front axle, and the AC stand is directly above, slightly forward of the rear axle. I have my fingers crossed on the weight distribution! ;) I did take it for a test ride for a good few miles at highway speeds with it mostly loaded and as it stands and it tows good. At the very least the trailer can take it as it has a 7k load cap, but the tow vehicle is my only concern so far.

-Mike
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Wed May 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Joel.brian wrote:I like how you did your ac unit. Any more pics of that? I’ve never installed one before and sort of struggling on how I should do it.

The AC unit is a "Through The Wall" unit, meaning that it has no vents on the top, bottom or sides. So the only point of ventilation is on the rear of the unit. It fits into a sleeve (sold separately). The sleeve goes through the wall and sits on the inside frame. I did fab up a little aluminum frame for the sleeve on the outside to give it a more finished look and a way to seal up real good. The exterior grill gets mounted to the back of the AC unit and you slide the whole thing into the mounted sleeve. I have an inch of slope on the AC from front to back, it has rained sideways at least 3 times since the install and so far so good; it drains and no leaks. If you want to install an AC unit and not cut struts, I would recommend a rooftop unit. I believe that they typically have like a 14"x14" hole requirement or somewhere there abouts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QX ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by domoarigato on Wed May 09, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Wed May 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Pics attachedImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 pm

What make and model is that AC unit? I think a lot of people around here would be interested in a unit that both exhausts and intakes from the rear.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby domoarigato » Wed May 09, 2018 2:39 pm

phoenixbound wrote:Wow! Nice job on the awning. Any tips on the install? It's a two man job to get it attached, right? Also, how did you know where to mount the struts on the trailer? Once again, very nice job. Hope mine turns out that good.

Phoenix,

The awning is pretty straight forward once you wrap your head around it. Mine is a 15' awning and it is exactly 15' center to center between posts. The legs are meant to accommodate different height trailers, so really the only thing that you have to get straight initially is the mounting strip and the bottom supports. I blocked behind my bottom supports with wood and cut screwed the mounting strip in place. Absolutely a 2 person job IMO, as you need an extra set of hands when measuring/marking and most certainly with walking the awning down the strip. Once you do that and connect the legs to the bottom support, the rest is a breeze.

-Mike
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Wed May 09, 2018 2:45 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:What make and model is that AC unit? I think a lot of people around here would be interested in a unit that both exhausts and intakes from the rear.

Hey Steve, here ya go:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QX ... UTF8&psc=1

There are others with different configs, but the main thing is to seek "through the wall" units as they need minimal hang-out.

-M
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Wed May 09, 2018 2:58 pm

flboy wrote:I like the steel fab. I just dont possess the skill or tools to do that. Very nice in any case.

Maybe more expensive and overbuilt... but it will never come apart! Or maybe not if the mission will be all over terrible washboard roads.

Hey Don, yep a bit more weight on the steel framing, but hopefully that can be countered with less weight in other places. Steel fab was just a past career some 20 years ago, now it's a hobby. She's stiff no doubt, as the walls are cut screwed into the frame rails at the bottom and stitch welded into the top roof beams. When you try and shake the walls the whole trailer rocks vs the walls moving. I hope to keep this thing on asphalt and campground/event roads only, so hopefully not too much vibration like in a boon docking scenario. BTW, I drew a lot of inspiration from your thread (among others as well) and the elevator bed to me was a must have when hauling bikes and trying to sleep 4. When the bikes are out and bed is in sleeping position, we can fit two Coleman padded cots underneath with room between to scurry in and out.

-M
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Wed May 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Thanks. I am enjoying watching your build. Outstanding work. I think you and Iconfabul8 are related for sure.

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Wed May 09, 2018 5:47 pm

domoarigato wrote:
phoenixbound wrote:Wow! Nice job on the awning. Any tips on the install? It's a two man job to get it attached, right? Also, how did you know where to mount the struts on the trailer? Once again, very nice job. Hope mine turns out that good.

Phoenix,

The awning is pretty straight forward once you wrap your head around it. Mine is a 15' awning and it is exactly 15' center to center between posts. The legs are meant to accommodate different height trailers, so really the only thing that you have to get straight initially is the mounting strip and the bottom supports. I blocked behind my bottom supports with wood and cut screwed the mounting strip in place. Absolutely a 2 person job IMO, as you need an extra set of hands when measuring/marking and most certainly with walking the awning down the strip. Once you do that and connect the legs to the bottom support, the rest is a breeze.

-Mike

Very helpful thanks. I like the idea of blocking the bottom supports, not sure I would have thought of that.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby Joel.brian » Thu May 10, 2018 12:18 am

domoarigato wrote:

The AC unit is a "Through The Wall" unit, meaning that it has no vents on the top, bottom or sides.

Could you have used a regular window ac unit (not through the wall) and just had a slightly larger vented cabinet and it work? Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions