Another Awning Question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Another Awning Question

Postby flboy » Tue May 22, 2018 11:35 am

Good news. I like my Aleko alot and it was a very good price. So far, it still looks good from a fit/finish perspective. I found the installation/assembly instructions to be very poor at the time 2 years ago or so when I installed. If you have any troubles, let me know I may be able to comment. It has been over two years and since I never seem to write things down, I may not remember.

You will probably figure it out anyhow. It is not hard, just work. At the time I seem to remember pulling up instructions for a Dometic awning which go up the same way and between the two, I was clear . Thier instructions made more sense to me.

Just make sure to pay attention to the spring preload procedure for your specific awning. The preload turns or etc. may be different and you do not want to get that wrong. Careful doing the preload also.. almost hurt my hand bad when I slipped and the spring unwound during the process.

Cannot wait to see pics. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Tue May 22, 2018 12:25 pm

Appreciate the help. I am pondering if I should get it installed. Ever get a bad feeling about trying to do something you never did before? Still thinking. Probably order it in the next day or two.
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Tue May 22, 2018 12:51 pm

phoenixbound wrote: Ever get a bad feeling about trying to do something you never did before?

Yes, like when I built my first CTC, then the second more complex one.

The worst feeling I remember however was when I had the expensive engine out of one of my 4 stroke dirtbikes doing the top end rebuild with parts spread all across my workbench. It was the first 4 stroke top end for me except a cheap Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine, so there was a good chance I'd screw it up and create more damage than I set out to fix. Glad I did it. It worked great, saved me a ton of money, and was another new skill which I have drawn on many times since then adjusting/shimming valves, replacing timing chains, pistons, and etc.

My next CTC.. probably going to be a school bus conversion or Sprinter van of some sort like that in the next 5 years or so, will be even better than the last as I use lessons learned.

You can do it! And each time you open that awning up, you will remember you did it. Actually, I think you will be suprised how much easier it is than you think. Just have a second set of hands nearby. It will be much easier if you do. Ask me how I know that
LoL

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue May 22, 2018 2:27 pm

You can do this, no problem. It may help to have a sidekick with you, but I did it solo. My awning mounts a bit different so I had to fab some mounts to attach to the studs. You should be able to just mount the fabric rail and the arm mounts in the correct locations, then slide the fabric into the rail. This is where a helper comes in. One person to feed, one to pull, gently but firmly. If it feels like it is snagged or hung up don't force it, inspect and finesse it in there. By this time Manana you'll have it made in the shade. ... ;) ...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Tue May 22, 2018 6:42 pm

I am trying to choose between the patio vs. the RV awning. It seems like the Patio Awning would be a little easier install. I am guessing not too many have installed both. My help will be limited when I do the install. Once the mounts are up for the Patio Awning the rest is just setting the awning on the mounts, right?

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Tue May 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Sorry, cannot help there. I have not installed the patio awning, just the RV one. McDave has done the patio awning. I am sure he can tell you specifics.

Good luck.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed May 23, 2018 12:47 am

phoenixbound wrote:I am trying to choose between the patio vs. the RV awning. It seems like the Patio Awning would be a little easier install. I am guessing not too many have installed both. My help will be limited when I do the install. Once the mounts are up for the Patio Awning the rest is just setting the awning on the mounts, right?

Indeed, you are correct Sir. The mounts are a U or C shape depending on the direction they are mounted, horiz or verti. The main bar, also called the square bar just slides right back into the mounts. Then there is a bolt and lock nut that drops thru the holes and captures the bar. Because it is square and the mount is square it can't twist. The bolts just prevent it from sliding out of the mounts. The end caps are metal and have a square socket to receive the square bar as well. If you see the arms that are articulated and extend out, They are spring loaded and have a cable at the bend. The fabric pulls the arms in when closing and the spring arms always are trying to open, that is what provides the tension on the fabric and keeps it from drooping. The gearbox turns the roller cw or ccw to open or close. Here is the link for the manual.
https://secure.img1.wfrcdn.com/docresou ... 274736.pdf

Good Luck,

McDave

PS, I should mention that I had to fab some mounts because of the rounded corners on my trailer. Also be aware of the distance from the door when open to the mounting height, there could be contact with the arms if too close. The formula for determining that height is in the manual. You can adjust the pitch about 45 deg for drainage and sun position and that helps with the door clearance issue.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:45 am

Another question. I get the Aleko Patio awning assembled, but in the process of doing that the awning is fully extended. Don't see how you could assemble it any other way. How do you fold it back up for mounting without it being attached to anything? Has to be folded back for mounting. Thanks.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:36 am

Well, if the material is attached to the front rail and the roller, I would just use the crank or something similar to turn the gear box. If the material is not attached and the spring loaded arms are fully extended, you'll have to install the material, then turn the gear box. The material is what pulls the arms in, you may have to work with sliders on the front rail. I don't recall having an issue, just be sure the sliders move free on rail. I'll review the manual, may refresh my memory.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:46 pm

Hey Pheonix,
Any luck getting that closed and mounted? Here is a copy of the manual for the 10 X 8. It may have some help for you.
http://www.alekoproducts.com/v/vspfiles ... s-2018.pdf
I'm Not sure how you got it opened before mounting, but you may need to collapse the spring arms and tie them back then install fabric to roller and front rail. But be very careful not to get whacked by the arm. Let me know how it is going.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 am

Yep, that's my awning. These directions are a little better version that the ones that came with mine. My trouble started on Step 7. If I can get the fabric off the Bar Link, I might get it to work. I plan on giving it another attempt this Saturday. Did yours come with two mounting brackets or three? I would think three would be better.More later. Thanks for the help.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby jmanscotch » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 am

A pricier option, but one more for the record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erx6XFP6oSg

Different options from several companies, various names from Batwing, FoxWing, etc. Prices from $500-900
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby phoenixbound » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:24 am

Wow, that is very cool. I am way too far down this road to do it now, but if I was starting from scratch I would actually consider it.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Hey Pheonix,
Just two mounts but they sent two more when they sent the new parts that were damaged in shipping. I made a couple to support the center and support the spring arms in transit. If you want these two spare mounts I would gladly send them to you.

OK. So it may be possible to pull the cord out of the fabric and that would release either the roller or the front bar or both if needed. These instructions are a little different than mine as well. I probably didn't really read them well, you know, if all else fails read the instructions. I don't recall rolling the fabric onto the roller by hand. I assembled and mounted this thing solo. I am sure,(almost) that I just turned the gearbox with a screwdriver or something like that and rolled the fabric on there. I do remember that you don't want to release the tension arms till the last step. The sliders seem to want to be about 10-12 in. from either end of the front bar but they move when retracting or deploying, but end up at about the same place when fully opened or closed. I'm gonna go play with mine and see if I can give you some more tips.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:17 am

I heard from Aleko yesterday. They are sending me another mount and a replacement slider because one of mine broke. I plan to get the unhooked from the arms, roll the fabric up and mount it properly to the arms. Should work. Definitely a learning process. Thanks again for your help.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions