Factory installed wall vents?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Factory installed wall vents?

Postby Karebru » Fri May 11, 2018 3:42 pm

You know... The "In" vent, high on the drivers side, and the "Out" low on the passenger side.
What does everybody do with them?
Instinct tells me that completely air tight is not good. Even with air conditioning.
I guess one could put an operable cover over them on the inside if they wanted to be able to close them off.
My in vent will be over my porta-potty. I'm thinking, exhaust fan. :thinking:
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Re: Factory installed wall vents?

Postby Joel.brian » Fri May 11, 2018 4:24 pm

My trailer only came with one roof top vent that I changed into a Maxx fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:33 pm

My trailer came with a vent up high on the wall on the driver’s side in the front and another vent low in the rear on the curb side.

I never leave them open when I travel to avoid road dirt from getting inside the trailer. I was surprised about how much road dirt came in when I left them open.

Now, when stationary, I almost never open the rear vent but use the front vent quite a bit. I also have two vents on the roof plus a Maxxfan on the roof.

The first time I slept in my trailer after installing insulation, I tossed and turned all night and I woke up in the morning with a bad headache. Thereafter, somewhere on this site I read where you can suffocate in a sealed trailer ... duh. I think I was being asphyxiated. Now I leave vents open when I sleep regardless of whether it is hot or cold outside.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:06 pm

I plugged them. I figured with three windows and a wall vent I could get the ventilation I want. Besides one was behind the shower and neither were closeable. I think those vents are designed to remove fumes from the lawnmower and atv's and such. Probably a good idea to keep if you are hauling those.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby onehoser » Fri May 11, 2018 6:28 pm

i just cover them with tape and then remove the tape when i need the ventilation
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Karebru » Fri May 11, 2018 7:11 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:I never leave them open when I travel to avoid road dirt from getting inside the trailer. I was surprised about how much road dirt came in when I left them open.
Never thought of that.
The first time I slept in my trailer after installing insulation, I tossed and turned all night and I woke up in the morning with a bad headache. Thereafter, somewhere on this site I read where you can suffocate in a sealed trailer ... duh. I think I was being asphyxiated. Now I leave vents open when I sleep regardless of whether it is hot or cold outside.
Yep. I think I saw that in the main teardrop section. The smaller the space, the quicker it could happen. :frightened:
Even a large volume home isn't completely air tight. Some air moves in and out through things like recessed ceiling lighting, exhaust fans, etc.
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Padilen » Fri May 11, 2018 8:04 pm

I use mine. Plus I added one. I use furnace filter material inserted in then to filter and keep bugs out. The one upper one is my black water tank vent( no filter) The second upper is my bathroom/shower vent with a computer fan.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Fri May 11, 2018 10:45 pm

If you can buy without them you are better off IMO. Then you can place them where you want them and not have to block off anything. As was mentioned they are horrible if you travel dusty roads.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hader » Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 am

We ordered ours with no vents of any kind, but the factory installed a roof vent (i wish they didn't).
For the bathroom, we went through the floor w/ the AC vent: http://httpswww.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php ... 5#p1208114
We were planing on using these for venting. https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=ven ... pm-Redline
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sat May 12, 2018 2:07 pm

Being ABLE to get a 100% seal is a good goal, you want control over ventilation

especially in dusty conditions, I've seen rigs where they use air filtration and constant positive pressure while driving.

That said, when you're in the space you always want some constant airflow, up to very high CFM exchange capacity when needed, not just hot weather e.g. cooking inside or otherwise burning propane, high-aerobic exercise 8-)
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Mon May 14, 2018 5:05 pm

John61CT wrote:Being ABLE to get a 100% seal is a good goal, you want control over ventilation

especially in dusty conditions, I've seen rigs where they use air filtration and constant positive pressure while driving.

That said, when you're in the space you always want some constant airflow, up to very high CFM exchange capacity when needed, not just hot weather e.g. cooking inside or otherwise burning propane, high-aerobic exercise 8-)

If the trailer is rockin'...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions