Eventually This will be a Build Journal, LOL!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Eventually This will be a Build Journal, LOL!

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:49 pm

I believe another reason for the plywood in the ceiling is to keep from rubbing metal on metal and wearing holes in the roof.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed May 30, 2018 3:11 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:I believe another reason for the plywood in the ceiling is to keep from rubbing metal on metal and wearing holes in the roof.
That is a good reason for sure. Never considered that... makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed May 30, 2018 3:13 pm

shootr wrote:Simple pleasures, amiright? :pipe:

A men!
So, it may seem a bit overwhelming to build a bathroom and all the infrastructure etc. but really it was no big deal. But this is the time plan. I started out with the idea of just a tent on wheels that I could haul the Harley in. But after staying in the campgrounds at Sturgis and other rallys and experiencing the conditions at the community facilities I decided a garden hose at a gas station would be much, much better. Then my wife began to show some interest in going with me and I knew there was no way I could expose her to that kind of conditions. So my plans changed and I'm so glad they did. This made the trailer much more versatile and useable. I helped a friend who had a stroke move from a upstairs apartment to a house in the country this last week. He lives a couple hundred miles from us in the Beartooth Mtns.. When we got to the new place they were still working on the bathroom plumbing so it was out of order. No problem, I have one with me. Kind of a lifesaver for him and more justification that it was the right thing to do. It is a luxury of sorts but if that what it takes to have my wife go with me, so be it. I have seen some really clever set ups, but because I haul the Harley I only had limited space and options in a 6 x 12. So wet bath style uses less space and gets the job done. I only ran 1 water line from the tank (under floor, behind axle) to the pump then to the tee where 1 goes to toilet, 1 to instant hot water heater. To get warm water just adjust flame size and water flow controls on heater in shower. It has a wand with on/off control. The shower pan/ toilet combo has a floor drain and the toilet flange moulded in. Just mount black beneath and cut appropriate size holes in the proper location and plumb in with ABS and grommets. You can do this stuff, but you will need a plan to make things fit and work together. I'd say about 500.00 for all materials including kitchen sink and plumbing, tanks, pipes, pump, valves, shower pan, metal shower walls, toilet and heater and asst. fittings.
Good luck whichever way you go, if you need help just ask.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby shootr » Thu May 31, 2018 1:45 pm

Now that I saw Newt182's journal and the carpeted walls - problem solved! That Home Depot outdoor carpet is inexpensive, looks great, and easy to procure and install (famous last words). That will cover whatever junk wood the trailer might be built with.

Also a big fan of his E track system. Kind of slapping my head - used a bunch of it in my old Snap On truck - love the versatility of it. Now I'm curious about putting the vertical tracks 4' on center or so on both side walls.

Seems like an easy way to hang the upper cabinets, secure the rolling kitchen, and with the 2 x 4 brackets, carry the kayak. Not to mention hang miscellaneous baskets and catch-alls, and just have anchor points to tie down whatever if needed.
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby shootr » Thu May 31, 2018 1:52 pm

McDave wrote:
shootr wrote:Simple pleasures, amiright? :pipe:

A men!
So, it may seem a bit overwhelming to build a bathroom and all the infrastructure etc. but really it was no big deal. But this is the time plan. I started out with the idea of just a tent on wheels that I could haul the Harley in. But after staying in the campgrounds at Sturgis and other rallys and experiencing the conditions at the community facilities I decided a garden hose at a gas station would be much, much better. Then my wife began to show some interest in going with me and I knew there was no way I could expose her to that kind of conditions. So my plans changed and I'm so glad they did. This made the trailer much more versatile and useable. I helped a friend who had a stroke move from a upstairs apartment to a house in the country this last week. He lives a couple hundred miles from us in the Beartooth Mtns.. When we got to the new place they were still working on the bathroom plumbing so it was out of order. No problem, I have one with me. Kind of a lifesaver for him and more justification that it was the right thing to do. It is a luxury of sorts but if that what it takes to have my wife go with me, so be it. I have seen some really clever set ups, but because I haul the Harley I only had limited space and options in a 6 x 12. So wet bath style uses less space and gets the job done. I only ran 1 water line from the tank (under floor, behind axle) to the pump then to the tee where 1 goes to toilet, 1 to instant hot water heater. To get warm water just adjust flame size and water flow controls on heater in shower. It has a wand with on/off control. The shower pan/ toilet combo has a floor drain and the toilet flange moulded in. Just mount black beneath and cut appropriate size holes in the proper location and plumb in with ABS and grommets. You can do this stuff, but you will need a plan to make things fit and work together. I'd say about 500.00 for all materials including kitchen sink and plumbing, tanks, pipes, pump, valves, shower pan, metal shower walls, toilet and heater and asst. fittings.
Good luck whichever way you go, if you need help just ask.

McDave

Being an obsessive compulsive planner I'm sure it will all come together - as I look at what we want and the size of the trailer I'd like to use, seems a waste of space to NOT put one in at this point.

I also got permission to take over the garage and move her car to the driveway when this goes down - just trying to be neighborly as this is going to take a few months and where it will parked when done - not convenient at all for spur-of-the-minute work shifts.

Once she see's the way the kayak can fit - trailer shopping is going to get a bit more serious (hopefully)!
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby McDave » Thu May 31, 2018 4:02 pm

Are you floating/kayaking on the Salt? Did that a few times in my single days. (tubers w/coolers)

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby shootr » Thu May 31, 2018 4:37 pm

McDave wrote:Are you floating/kayaking on the Salt? Did that a few times in my single days. (tubers w/coolers)

McDave

Yeah, we try to do it a few times every summer. I drop off the missus and the boat at Water Users Ramp, drive the truck to Salt River Rec, park there and take the bus back to the missus, then we float back to the truck. It's a bit of an ordeal but we go as early as possible (I think 9am is the first bus) so we're not dodging too many tubers, and it's easier than taking two vehicles. The flow has been really up and down the past few weeks - if it's under 1000CF/S it can get a little shallow in places.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv/?site_no=09502000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:17 pm

To me, when we go bigger it will be for a bathroom and standup shower. With enough holding tank to use it (fresh and gray) I wouldn't mess with a black water tank. And you got the TV to pull it.

We went to Butcher Jones last Sunday to see the horses but I'm sure with the holiday weekend crowds they were long gone. So we went down by the river. Got there around 6:00 AM and is was nice and quite till around 7:30-8:00 then it was time to leave.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby shootr » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:18 pm

Well, this morning the plan was to 1) go look at cargo trailers to get the missus warm to the dream, and 2) go see some finished camping trailers for layout ideas.

As the trailer places weren't opening until 9 or 10, we stopped at Camping World to see some campers since they opened earlier.

Then they showed us this used little Jayco... and that was all she wrote. The missus fell in love, the thing is pristine and looks completely unused, and the price was too good to ignore.

End of story. Well, not really - we're both pretty stoked - when karma hits us that hard it's tough to ignore (unit went on the lot an hour before we got there, being the busy season there's not much surplus to drive down new prices, etc.). So they're detailing a few things, and we pick it up next Friday.

Not sure if I'm completely ostracized from the forum, but I do want to thank you all for the responses and interactions. I am bummed I won't be able to create something unique, but stepping back and taking a big breath of reality, this is probably the best for us.

ImageImageImageImageImage
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ottsville » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:16 am

We just sold our Rpod, which is basically the same as you just bought. Glad you found something that will keep the wife happy. That's why we bought our rpod - I wanted to camp with my son and wife and she was not into tent camping. We had a lot of good trips in it but it is time for us to move to something a bit more roomy since the boy is now a teen. I'm sure you'll find things you can modify or change in that camper to get a fix of building(for ideas, you could check the facebook rpod owners group). Good luck with the new camper!
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:51 am

shootr, Howdy;

I've attached a link for you, it's a pre-acceptance check-list for RV buyers.
So many folks buy one (RV), and don't get the information on where things
are and how they are supposed to function.
Don't let them rush you through saying they are busy and can only allot you
so much time for this and don't sign anything or hand them the check until
you are satisfied that the trailer is acceptable to your standards. CW is notorious
for hustlin' folks through then charging $135.00 or more /hr to fix things after
they have accepted their RV.
Look at things like the chalking around the roof line and any thing that is an
install through the sides or roof.

If it looks like it has never been used then ask to see the title, they can move it
from one dealer to another and consider it 'used'. If they are doing that then they
can get around the 1 year warranty thing and sell you an 'extended warranty' for
a few thousand 'extra'. It's all about Markus Simones trying to take as many hard
earned $'s as possible from you wallet and stuffin' them in his.

The list is extensive and has been used and approved by many more then a few
RVers.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavist ... V113_2.pdf

Have fun, enjoy your RV, see ya around here.

hank (resident RV dweller and cynic)
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:54 am

Good luck with the new camper. It's a beautiful unit. We all have different wants and needs, looks like that will be a good fit for you. Have fun and make lots of memories together. :thumbsup:
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:39 pm

shootr wrote:
Not sure if I'm completely ostracized from the forum, but I do want to thank you all for the responses and interactions. I am bummed I won't be able to create something unique, but stepping back and taking a big breath of reality, this is probably the best for us.

Congratulations. That is a very nice looking trailer. You will enjoy it. And if the Mrs. likes it a lot... you cannot go wrong. Doing what is best for you in this case is the best thing to do!
Last edited by flboy on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby shootr » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:52 pm

hankaye wrote:shootr, Howdy;

I've attached a link for you, it's a pre-acceptance check-list for RV buyers.
So many folks buy one (RV), and don't get the information on where things
are and how they are supposed to function.
Don't let them rush you through saying they are busy and can only allot you
so much time for this and don't sign anything or hand them the check until
you are satisfied that the trailer is acceptable to your standards. CW is notorious
for hustlin' folks through then charging $135.00 or more /hr to fix things after
they have accepted their RV.
Look at things like the chalking around the roof line and any thing that is an
install through the sides or roof.

If it looks like it has never been used then ask to see the title, they can move it
from one dealer to another and consider it 'used'. If they are doing that then they
can get around the 1 year warranty thing and sell you an 'extended warranty' for
a few thousand 'extra'. It's all about Markus Simones trying to take as many hard
earned $'s as possible from you wallet and stuffin' them in his.

The list is extensive and has been used and approved by many more then a few
RVers.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavist ... V113_2.pdf

Have fun, enjoy your RV, see ya around here.

hank (resident RV dweller and cynic)

Thanks Hank! :thumbsup:

I had my own sort-of list but I missed quite a few things yours has. I'm crossing my fingers that the delivery goes as positively as the purchase. Our salesman was a listener, patient, and usefully methodical. The only shenanigans was the "boss" wanting to sell the "Teflon Wonder Coat" after we were about done. I had no idea that scam is still out there - thought it died in the 90's auto industry...lol.

We're scheduled to pick it up 9AM Friday - I'm taking the day off work so I'm not rushed, and at least the salesman knows I'm an extremely detailed (not to an A-hole level) but I want what should be right to be right. We (I) did as thorough a preliminary inspection as I could in 100 degree heat (stuff like loose trim, chalky sealant at the front exterior joints, a sticky switch) that they say will be addressed as they prep it for our delivery. Other stuff like counter top edging, balky hinges, etc. that we saw in other, new units, weren't in ours - so that was a good thing to see. I intentionally didn't say anything about a loose trim piece on the interior of the slideout to see if they catch it or not.

I've never owned an RV that had shore power (that I actually used), plumbing, etc. I've been watching YouTube videos on how the water heater works, how to properly/efficiently do a waste dump, hooking up to a shore power outlet, etc. All the things that are making me nervous as a novice. Making numerous lists for the stuff we need, and getting organized for a test run that afternoon. Found an opening at Fool Hollow Lake in Show Low that we'll stay at for the weekend and work out the bugs of newly owning a "fancy" RV.

Get to take the dog too, which will really be fun, so finding all the stuff we need for her as well. I think this is going to be fun!
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:55 pm

That's a pretty sweet rig. It looks to jacked up a little so ground clearance shouldn't be a problem for you. It's like marriage.When you find the one that suits your needs, jump on it. Also, there is no law against having more than one trailer. You always have the option to build yer own to satisfy your creative urges. If you guys decide to go professional with the kayak thing you might need a second trailer to go on tour. You could get a sponsor to pay for it and put some kind of graphics down the side. The world is your oyster.
Good luck you happy campers,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions