Trailer with no title.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Trailer with no title.

Postby rebar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:33 am

I know I should run far away.. But has anyone been tempted, or actually bought a cargo trailer without a title?

What hoops did you have to jump through?

Thanks!
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Re: Trailer with no title.

Postby onehoser » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:35 am

up here in ontario it can be registered as a home built trailer
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:47 am

If your state has no clear path to register without it. Run.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:38 am

I've bought trailers without titles, so states simply dont require one if trail is under a certain weight. Which Illinois is not one of them. Kind of a pain in the ass, dont buy a branded production trailer without a title here unless your stripping it and making it a homemade trailer.

I just used a friends address accross the bridge in Iowa where under 2000lbs and say its home made they dont even check it.

Illinois for a homemade trailer they have to inspect it and a bunch of other BS. Branded trailer though you have to have a title or go through the hell to file for lost title.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:02 am

Montana will build you a title. They do a title search and check all the numbers. Then issue a new title.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 am

Howdy All;

Quick story, Bought a Boat, Motor & Trailer off of flebay from a used auto dealer in Arkansas,
I was living in Ohio (a must be notarized State). Drove to Ar. got the B, M, & T , drove back to
Ohio, go down to local DMV office and am told all 3 need to be notarized (oops). So I call the
dealer ... well they had bought the rig at a " Dealer Auction " in Missouri and the 3 had been
repoed in Texas where they were registered but were titled in Oklahoma. Took about 2 months
but it was eventually ironed out and I had 3 proper titles in hand. Learned my lesson then and
there. Ain't got a title I ain't buyin.
Ok, I got another ...
When I lived in Md. I found a 12' jon boat with a N.J. sticker on it and no data plate with hull
number (like a VIN for a car), contacted DNR, was told that I needed to post a notice in 3 newspapers
for 90 days if no response then I could get a new hull number and title.

Ask the authorities, they will tell ya what ya need to do or ya might even go for a mechanic's lien ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rebar » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:02 am

Hey thanks everyone.. I talked to the county and it sounds do-able.. But a storm took the roof of my place the other day, and there goes all my ash tray money..
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:18 am

glad it appears ur ok. We didn't get hit THAT bad.

Fyi I just saw u live in Iowa City. I'll have to let you know next we come to camp at sugar bottom!

And if you ever have questions on Iowa for this stuff let me know. I just live right Accross the river from Clinton so deal with Iowa for anything I can. Including custom trailers

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby rebar » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Tigris99 wrote:glad it appears ur ok. We didn't get hit THAT bad.

Fyi I just saw u live in Iowa City. I'll have to let you know next we come to camp at sugar bottom!

And if you ever have questions on Iowa for this stuff let me know. I just live right Across the river from Clinton so deal with Iowa for anything I can. Including custom trailers

No one was at the property thankfully. Allot of work today cleaning up a bunch of tree's that snapped off along the already weathered tree line. Widow makers hanging.. From what the neighbor described, he was surprised it was still standing. It broke trees and damaged home at his place to.

My problem is I'm looking for a narrow track trailer. There out there, but I have to be willing to travel.. The one with no title the owners ready to almost give it away, but its ruff.. Another one in cleveland that's perfect for twice as much but maybe only $1000 less than a new one. I got side tracked when the featherlite dealer said he would build me a single axle 7x16.. 8x6.5" hubs etc
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby RonS » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:51 am

I guess I would probably feel differently if I lived somewhere titles weren't required for trailers, but I view no title trailers as scrap metal. Why doens't the owner have a title? Stolen? If they just lost it, at least here, there's a form to fill out and for a fee the DMV will re-issue a title....to the legitimate owner.
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
RonS
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:22 pm

RonS wrote:I guess I would probably feel differently if I lived somewhere titles weren't required for trailers, but I view no title trailers as scrap metal. Why doens't the owner have a title? Stolen? If they just lost it, at least here, there's a form to fill out and for a fee the DMV will re-issue a title....to the legitimate owner.
because many states dont require them on small trailers.

Custom built trailers dont come with titles unless the owner was required to get one and so on.

I live where they are required, if it's one I'm building on who cares because I have to get it certified again anyway.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:03 am

Many vehicles are sold with only a MSO, Manufactures Statement of Origin or MCO, Manufactures Certificate of Origin. This and a Bill of Sale is what the local Motor Vehicle Department uses to create a title. If there is no VIN present they will issue one.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Treeview » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:09 am

Over the weekend I looked at a trailer frame that is he remains of a two axle travel trailer. Just the steel

Bill of sale. No title

Yesterday I stopped at MN DMV registrar. I got two forms to apply for title.

The process is to file a due diligence form. Take pics from all four sides. DMV creates a value and I get a bond from my insurance company for three years

It doesn’t sound complicated. Just a bureaucratic plod
Treeview
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions