Help a newbie find a trailer brand!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Help a newbie find a trailer brand!

Postby robctc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:33 am

Hey everyone! After two years of dreaming and 6-months of failing to rebuild a water damaged camper, I'm here and ready to buy something with four solid, non water damaged sides.

I've absorbed every drop of information I can these past two weeks since discovering cargo trailer conversions, so I feel well researched but would appreciate some guidance from people who have already been there, since researching the different brands is still a bit overwhelming.

I'm looking for a flat front, one piece rounded roof 7x16 TA and live near Charlotte, NC, and would prefer not to devote more than a day driving to pick something up (there and back in a day.) I know flat roofed v-noses are all the rage these days, but after seeing what water damage can do I won't settle for less than a rounded 1 piece roof to make water prevention easier, and I've read enough posts from old towing curmudgeons all over the net to know that v-noses don't affect aerodynamics nearly as much as weight distribution and the back of the trailer, and I'd prefer a flat space on the tongue and interior wall anyway.

So being near Charlotte and looking for rounded roofs and manufacturers that seem to give a crap about water leaking, I've narrowed it down to this:

--------
Interstate Cargo (LoadRunner or Pro line)
The solid roof is standard and I haven't read a bad thing about the durability and construction of the LoadRunner or Pro line. Theres also a TrailersPlus store about an hour from me so it would be an easy pickup, and easy to take it back for any warranty issues.

Car Mate
I haven't found a manufacturer with more praise than Car Mate yet. No need to describe their quality. Nearest dealer to me is 5 hours away, so not impossible to do in 1 day, but if I have any issues I'll probably be fixing it myself. Definitely going to be the most expensive of the bunch.

Diamond Cargo
I know Diamond Cargo is from the Georgia pool, but there is a dealer with great reviews a half hour from me. It would require more upgrades when ordering, but the price will likely still be $1000 cheaper than Interstate or Car Mate, and the dealer is close should I have an issue. The catch is that searching for reviews on Diamond Cargo doesn't return anything comforting. Buying here would be a gamble, not a sure thing.
--------

Are there any other manufacturers I should consider that have dealers somewhat close to me? Namely ones that don't hail from Georgia. From what I've read, most of those brands likely come from the same plant anyway, so If I'm going for a Georgia trailer I might as well pick the dealer closest to me thats well reviewed.

I greatly appreciate everyone's time, very excited to get started!
robctc
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Help a newbie find a trailer brand!

Postby CoventryKid » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:15 am

Robctc - welcome to the forum!

I don't think NEO makes a flat nosed cargo trailer, but I highly recommend them.

Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby NO David! » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Welcome!

I also like the traditional roof design, and the flat nose as well.
Consider Cargo Craft of Georgia. I had a few paperwork related issues on mine, between the dealer and the factory, but the factory sent a crew to my house (full day's drive one-way), to make the corrections. I'd like to see another manufacturer do that. Here's ours:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345

http://www.cargocraftinc.com/georgia/expedition.php
Fwiw, Cargo Craft is from South Georgia, but in Ambrose, and is one of the last privately-held trailer manufacturers. They are still a family-owned company, and not just a brand name under a big conglomerate.

I would add Homesteader to that list as well, very good construction, small manufacturer, NE Tennessee, easy to work with on custom stuff.
https://homesteadertrailer.com/

With both of these manufacturers, you'd need to find an educated dealer to order it built the way you want it. For your size, check out my basic build above and consider:
-Windows, high and offset for crossflow and daylight
-Factory 36" RV door with screen (absolutely worth twice the cost).
-6" additional roof height
-Standard leaf spring axles if you want more ground clearance
-Factory welded on single step at door
-Factory welded stab jacks at 4 corners
-Vertical E-track looks utilitarian but is the most practical setup I've ever used.
-Fantastic vent fan, or equal creates a great breeze inside with the windows slid open.

So after 6 years of use and outside storage, I finally had to make a leak repair. My fiberglass roof/nose header developed some tiny cracks near one of the marker lights. A little patchwork and it's done. The best part was the water intrusion never made it to the inside, to contact any interior wood panels. it simply ran down the inside of the exterior wall, out to the ground.

Draw out your plans, and like others have done, even tape the layout onto the garage floor, and see if everything fits. Several said order the trailer 2' longer than you think you will need. Yup.

Edit: if you really want to throw down...Check these out at a dealer near you:
http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/raven-cargo-trailer?#

https://www.trailersoftheeastcoast.com/
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:46 pm

robctc, Howdy;

WELCOME to the MADDNESS!!! :D , :applause: !

Ok, Appears that you've done the due diligence bit with the research. Alos appears that
you've already, kinda, sorta, maybe made up your mind to one of the " Interstate Cargo
(LoadRunner or Pro line)," line of trailers. I say that by what you said and how you also
listed it at the top of the stack. Well, I also have one, (Pro series), very happy with it, towes
like it's not there (I use a F-250), but have a single axle 7X14 and had them install the
brakes with the 7-way plug. Wouldn't have one without brakes, various reasons biggest being
it helps the trailer remember where in the line-up it's supposed to be. Mine's 4 yo this year
and no leaks, drips nor errors.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby robctc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:10 pm

NO David! wrote:Welcome!

I also like the traditional roof design, and the flat nose as well.
Consider Cargo Craft of Georgia. I had a few paperwork related issues on mine, between the dealer and the factory, but the factory sent a crew to my house (full day's drive one-way), to make the corrections. I'd like to see another manufacturer do that. Here's ours:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345

http://www.cargocraftinc.com/georgia/expedition.php
Fwiw, Cargo Craft is from South Georgia, but in Ambrose, and is one of the last privately-held trailer manufacturers. They are still a family-owned company, and not just a brand name under a big conglomerate.

I would add Homesteader to that list as well, very good construction, small manufacturer, NE Tennessee, easy to work with on custom stuff.
https://homesteadertrailer.com/

Thanks for the insight on Cargo Craft! Didn't know they were still independent. I'll price them against everything else. I checked out Homesteader already. I ruled them out due to inconsistencies of standard features on their website vs what I found and poor construction choices of available stock (rounded roof with no plywood between roof metal and roof beams, metal clearly deformed already and not adhered.) A shame because they seemed so much more affordable.

Hank, glad to hear you like your interstate Pro! I'm leaning towards them right now because they're close to me and so far the only manufacturer where everything I want comes standard in a stock model. Trying to find exactly the options I want while looking at various brands over dozens of poorly made websites is starting to be a headache. I'm about to be willing to pay a premium just to know exactly what I'm getting.
robctc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:35 am

robctc, Howdy;

As they are only an hour away why not invest the time to go and check them out? Must be
some other errand out that way that you can combine the trip with. I had to do mine from
long distance, I live in SW N.M. and the dealer I used was in Salt Lake City, Ut., it was on my
way to West Yellowstone to meet some friends and do some fishin'. There were many emails
and phone conversations but it all worked out for the good. Go talk to them, take notes, pix,
ask questions, even the stoopid one...

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:45 am

Gotta say the Neo's and Featherlite's seem to be the best built. I don't own either but I wish I did! I have a Pace Journey 6 x 12 Flat nose single axle. Pro's; Low priced, no leaks, mostly good welds. Con's; Fit and finish, horrible wiring, cheap interior panelling with a million staples, Flat nose. But all in all, you get what you pay for. Since I tore it down the studs anyway I had the chance to fix the short comings.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Swan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:15 pm

My 6x12 is an "Express Trailer" and have no leaks after 12 years of use. It has the rounded roof which is perfect for the AC drain run off.
Camping in 6X12 Express Cargo Trailer
Swan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby robctc » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:14 am

Thanks for the insight everyone.

I researched every trailer within driving distance from me a second time over and settled on a 7x14 Interstate Pro at a TrailersPlus store 3 hours from me. It was on sale for a price I couldn't refuse with their build quality, and though I know 7x16 would have been nice, those two feet would have cost me $1500 more going by the stock at other stores!

And I can park it in my backyard easier. Its coming home next week!
robctc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:35 pm

:thumbsup: :D

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:40 pm

robctc, Howdy;

What McD said ... :D , :thumbsup: .

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions