Keeping things light

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Keeping things light

Postby C&T » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:13 am

Hello, We are in the process of exploring if we can make a cargo trailer conversion. We are long time tent campers, and some aspects of that are getting harder. We would like to continue to camp, but have it be a bit easier. Goals are to do less heavy lifting, make prep and tear down easier. If we are to do this beginning now, we have to work with our current vehicle, a toyota 4 runner which is rated to tow 5000 lbs. I have started to play with designs and found a trailer which may work. It is a 6x12 v nose and the goal would be to keep it and our gear to just under 3000lb. Working on it, not sure it is possible yet!

Our idea is to have an upper bunk, queen size, accessible from the inside of the trailer. Below part of the bed, would be shelves for clothing. In front of the bed, On one side and in the nose would be a counter, under which would sit a porta potty, a portable AC unit and a small gray water tank. Stored under the bed, accessed from the back barn doors, would be a kitchen that slides out--one side the coolers and another side the propane tank and stove. We will store a table back there for transport, but it will sit up apart from the trailer when in camp. above the slide out sections will be kitchen cupboards. When open, it will form a U shaped outside kitchen, but will all slide in and store inside.

Questions: Is it reasonable to expect the 4 runner to do well with that load 3000 + us, our food and clothing Probably another 500 lb Say 4000lb to be generous? 4/5 of its rated towing capacity (We are looking into a transmission cooler. Our mechanic has not gotten back to me yet with recommendations)

2. We intend to take the 3/8 inch sidewalls that come with the trailer off and put up insulation and then another wall covering. Does that wall covering need to have a structural component? In other words, the particle board stuff that is in a trailer provides some support and stiffness to the walls. A lighter material may not accomplish that. What light materials have people used for putting over the insulation?

3. Can you give recommendations for light yet durable kitchen cabinets? I would want two 24 wide 30 tall 12 deep and one 18 wide 30 tall 12 deep.

Thanks!

Toni
C&T
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Keeping things light

Postby phoenixbound » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:52 am

Hi C&T,

Maybe this will help. I have a 6 x 12 tandem V-Nose that I use to haul my Harley Tri-Glide and for some camping. I have it setup with a bed mounted on eTrack (raise and lower for hauling) and various other accessories including a 8,000 BTU AC and a small dorm size fridge. I don't have any water setup setup for bathroom or shower. Just electric for AC, lights and fridge. My tow vehicle is 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4 x 4 with the factory tow package. My max towing capacity is 6,500. On my last trip I was concerned about where I was at with the weight. Turns out the CAT Scales you see at truck stops allow you download their app ( https://catscale.com/cat-scale-apps/) , enter a credit card and weigh your vehicle at any of their scales without much trouble at all. They email the weight to you. There is a Youtube video here on how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixK9BTAXqyY . I tried at the first stop on my trip. My truck weighed 5,000 and my trailer was 3800. My Tri-Glide weighs about 1250 loaded, so if you take that off of the 3800 trailer weight you end up with 2585. I'm in good shape. Hope that helps. Happy camping, we sure like ours.
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:22 am

phoenixbound wrote:Hi C&T,

Maybe this will help. I have a 6 x 12 tandem V-Nose that I use to haul my Harley Tri-Glide and for some camping. I have it setup with a bed mounted on eTrack (raise and lower for hauling) and various other accessories including a 8,000 BTU AC and a small dorm size fridge. I don't have any water setup setup for bathroom or shower. Just electric for AC, lights and fridge. My tow vehicle is 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4 x 4 with the factory tow package. My max towing capacity is 6,500. On my last trip I was concerned about where I was at with the weight. Turns out the CAT Scales you see at truck stops allow you download their app ( https://catscale.com/cat-scale-apps/) , enter a credit card and weigh your vehicle at any of their scales without much trouble at all. They email the weight to you. There is a Youtube video here on how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixK9BTAXqyY . I tried at the first stop on my trip. My truck weighed 5,000 and my trailer was 3800. My Tri-Glide weighs about 1250 loaded, so if you take that off of the 3800 trailer weight you end up with 2585. I'm in good shape. Hope that helps. Happy camping, we sure like ours.

Thank you for posting this. I've never weighed my teardrop. There is a Loves truck stop with Cat scale about 3 miles from work. I now know what to do.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby phoenixbound » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:53 am

Yea, the scales are sized for 18 wheelers, but still works. My truck was on the first partition of the scale and my trailer was on the second one. So, my "steer weight" was actually the weight of my truck. Just make sure your tow vehicle is only on the first part and your trailer is on the second one. Cost me $11.50. Well worth the piece of mind. You have to put a company name in the app. I said my company was "Phoenix bound", why not?
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby Hader » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:37 pm

C&T wrote:We intend to take the 3/8 inch sidewalls that come with the trailer off and put up insulation and then another wall covering. Does that wall covering need to have a structural component? In other words, the particle board stuff that is in a trailer provides some support and stiffness to the walls. A lighter material may not accomplish that. What light materials have people used for putting over the insulation?

We used Lauan for the walls. Best thing we did for the trailer and the TV. See the 2nd post here http://httpswww.tnttt.com/search.php?ke ... sf=msgonly

As to the "support and stiffness to the walls"! Let's see if Hank sees this and share his opinion about how Airplanes are built an riveted in relation to CT's.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby C&T » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks, good to know that luan works well for the walls.

We will have to weigh the trailer after we build it to see how close we come in our weight calculations for building it. Good to hear how other people keep their weight down.
C&T
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NO David! » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:04 am

Welcome to the madness.

Our 7x16 Tandem weighs 3,000LBS loaded with our gear...(bikes, kayaks, camping stuff). It was listed at 2,200 from the factory. As far as towing, I think my biggest issue is the wind drag at speed, (based on all the digging around I could do, the V-nose doesn't really help much, if at all, it's more about the height, and drag from the huge flat area at the back). So, I drop the speed back a little, settle in about 62 on the highway, take the back roads from time to time, think about not making payments on a new RV, and figure the terrible gas mileage is just the cost of doing business! :D
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345

Here's an old favorite, sounds a little bit like your idea.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=40504
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions