For all the "Flat Nosers"

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: For all the "Flat Nosers"

Postby rebar » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:34 am

McDave wrote:So, it would seem that the "gap" between the TV and Trailer is responsible for about 25% of the drag of the combo. No surprise really. with both high and low pressure, trailing and leading faces and different body width/height. This being the case, possibly this is the area that would yield the most mileage gain. Also no surprise, this would be the most complicated because of the articulation and vehicle differences. Here is an ingenious solution for big rigs that could be possibly scaled to our trailers.

http://www.donbur.co.uk/gb-en/docs/1503 ... ochure.pdf

Put on your thinking caps and have some cold barley thinking fluid and lets see how do-able this could be. For pickups lets assume there is a topper, or a van as the tow vehicle.

McDave

I found a few cases where a owner sold a smaller TT and bought a longer heavier fiver and got the same fuel mileage.. So that adds to the theory that smaller "gaps" are responsible for better mpg..
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby rebar » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:36 pm

McDave wrote:So, it would seem that the "gap" between the TV and Trailer is responsible for about 25% of the drag of the combo. This being the case, possibly this is the area that would yield the most mileage gain.

Put on your thinking caps and have some cold barley thinking fluid and lets see how do-able this could be. For pickups lets assume there is a topper, or a van as the tow vehicle.

McDave

Time revive this old discussion.

Id like to have a gooseneck because of the better mpg, but don't want to risk contact between the bed and the trailer when articulating offroad.

So concentrating on a bumper pull, how much less air drag would result shortening the distance between a truck, and a flat nose CT by two feet? And how could you make the tongue adjustable so when you need to turn sharp its longer? One of those 5ver sliding hitch's, but bumperpull would be neat. lol
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby deceiver » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:40 pm

I've got a vnose. The front doesn't matter much. It's all about the height. Mine is tall, it really drops my mileage. A flat front trailer plows the air at high speed. A v-nose one does too. Don't believe it? A sail at a 45 degree angle will move a boat forward at a pretty good clip in a good wind. The vector of the air hitting the V creates plenty of drag too. Actually the vest fluid dynamics in air or water is a parabola. That's why lots of things have round fronts, submarines, passenger jets, etc.

That being said, my 9+ foot tall (from the ground up ) camper is v-nose but when I go down those hills that are steep grades with truck runnoffs I don't have to gear down much. The Vnose is like I had deployed a drag chute.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions