Fold-up Bunk Ideas

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Fold-up Bunk Ideas

Postby Karebru » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:32 pm

Great stuff. :applause:
I love the simplicity of the canvas one.
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Agfadoc » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:06 pm

I have done an extensive amount of Hammocking in the forest and even use a hammock in my home. I was looking for a way to implement a hammock in an aluminum trailer, but am concerned of the forces being placed on the walls.

Here is a hammock calculator that you can see the exertion from the forces, granted, we are talking about what is similar to a bridge hammock, but I have found that 70D Ripstop provides more flexibility and comfort with enough strength vs canvas, to hold up a 250 lbs boy like me. I wake in the morning feeling 25 years old after a day of hard work and hiking.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

I was thinking of using a 10' pole as a ridgeline, (for an 11ft hammock) using the etracks, across the length of the CT to minimize the pulling forces that a hammock has, which is removed when hung from a pole as in a the turdledog stand here that I had made. A portable hammock stand out of Military aluminum pole segments:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/sho ... itary+pole

So I guess my point to this is that Ripstop is much more comfortable then Canvas, just as strong, and the downward force across etracks is based on the weight of the individual divided by the number of cleats or connections to the walls you have.

Maybe one big 5 x 8 hammock...using etrack and 2x4s ... I don't know but I like the closet rod idea enough to give it a test...
Agfadoc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:29 pm

No problem using hammocks, but only for designs keeping the whole center area clear.

And of course only if you like sleeping in them.

As a stomach sleeper. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:06 pm

StrongFeather, Howdy;

Another idea for a fold up is the 1950's Navy rack (bed), Basically, 4 lengths of Black Iron pipe
2 long ones and 2 short ones, held to gather with elbows. cut your canvas to fit, fold the edges
over sew'em snug and install grommets. Secure the canvas to the frame with rope ... poof! ya
gotta bed. Here's a picture from The July 1956 Navy Times mag. with some pix.
https://www.navy.mil/ah_online/archpdf/ah195607.pdf
I'm sure you can figure out a hinge system to allow them to fold against the walls (E-track???),
the Navy did so they could keep on saying in the wake-up call to "heave-out and trice-up".
Translated, get outta bed and secure them to the walls (bulkheads), that way the coop cleaners
(junior sailors whose duty it was to keep the berthing and other Division spaces clean), could have
a clear floor (deck),to clean

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby StrongFeather » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:26 pm

A great idea, Hank, but having a Navy bunk in my trailer would probably give me nightmares from the late 90’s. Even if the kids are sleeping on ‘em. I would probably wake up in the middle of the night to stand watch for seemingly no reason. [ANCHOR]️ The kids would think I’m going crazy. And they’d be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build Journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71138
Composite Panel Construction Technique viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71192

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
~Red Green
StrongFeather
Teardrop Master

Postby NO David! » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:56 pm

Since a picture is worth...
Here's mine during the build stage, using the Euro Military surplus cots from Coleman's Military Surplus.
The treated, heavy burlap is sewn, overlapping heavy gauge wires down both sides, and ends. The wires are hung on multiple hooks that rest in holes in the top of the heavy gauge pipe.

Finished product: Outer edge hung from e-track mounted in ceiling, spread across 4 joists. I had designed them to "clip" out of the wall e-track when not needed. Unplanned benefit: I can unclip the hanger from the e-track in the ceiling, re-clip it into the wall, above the bunk, then simply pull my hanger strap tight, and the cots rotate up against the wall to create loading room in the trailer. I've never had to take the top bunks out to use the trailer for moving stuff.

Homemade support for the vertical e-track:

These were originally designed for our kids, we "adults" slept on a click-clack Serta sofa in the front of the trailer. Now that the kids are grown/gone, we discovered the amazing comfort of the military cots. They had it made, all this time, and we never knew it! :lol:
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:24 pm

NO David! Howdy;

There ya go, (just got the intergoogle back in this part of the Country), David,
just heave yer furry butt out in the am then use the straps to trice-up the racks...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions