Another 8.5 x 24 Toy Hauler Cargo Trailer Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Another 8.5 x 24 Toy Hauler Cargo Trailer Conversion

Postby flboy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:31 pm

That's pretty good for 13,500BTU on the startup. If that is the case, a Honda EU2000i should run it.

Sometimes the latency in the measuring device does not catch ( read out) the real peak of the inrush spike due to duration; however, some inverter fault circuits on the generators do sense it, but only one way to find out.. gotta try it cause they all are a little different.

Also, sometimes the voltage will drop during the inrush on an inverter generator while it reacts and that causes a further increase in current as the AC tries to maintain power. On shore power unless you have a poor connection or too small a gage wire, that does not typically happen.

Ussually the better quality the circuits on the generator, the better response. Again, that is why some do it and some don't... gotta really try them when they are near operational limits.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:59 pm

flboy wrote:That's pretty good for 13,500BTU on the startup. If that is the case, a Honda EU2000i should run it.

Sometimes the latency in the measuring device does not catch ( read out) the real peak of the inrush spike due to duration; however, some inverter fault circuits on the generators do sense it, but only one way to find out.. gotta try it cause they all are a little different.

All true. I admit my meters are not very sophisticated. It is just the volt/amp/watt/kwh meter I got on ebay for like 20.00 so it may not show the real peak surge. I cant make movies but I'll try to get a snapshot of start up peak and another when it is started and ramping up. The fan on high is 300 ish watts alone.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby cg_ops » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:14 pm

Thanks for feedback, both of you.

Was looking for more info on my AC, which is a Dometic Brisk Air II. I found this post which had some good info https://www.turbodieselregister.com/thr ... age.38814/
I believe the AC will be using 1100-1400 watts while running but require around 3k watts to start. Since the use of the trailer is primarily camping for track days it'll usually be hooked up to 1-2 pairs of tire warmers at 800-1100 watts per set. Add another 100-300 watts for lights/misc stuff....

Starting draw:
~3000
+~900
+~900
+~300
--------
~5100W

Running draw:
~1300
+~900
+~900
+~300
--------
~3700W

This is the MOST power I'd need at any given time and chances are that the warmers wouldn't be plugged in when I start the AC anyway (usually fire it up in the AM and leave it running all day). I think I'm going to get a hard-start capacitor for the AC, this should nearly halve the starting draw.

So far the trailer + AC experience has been great. Interior temps in 95-102* weather range have been about 75-85*. Might not sound like a huge difference but it really is when you're fully leathered up!

I've had no issues running/starting the AC while plugged into my garage standard, 15A power outlet. Even with all the lights on and stereo/subwoofer going. I only blew the breaker once when I added the shop-vac to that mix.
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:47 pm

Good info on that site. And the bit about the fan already running is also important. You may want to try that because the fan motor in mine also has a capacitor and that would add to the LRA load. So A/C on high cool but thermostat turned to warmest setting so fan only starts, then move thermostat to cooler setting to kick in compressor may work for you. But in the long run it would be best to have more capacity since you have other loads as well. I use a Coleman workmate gen. and it handles the load fine but... it is loud and obnoxious. I have muffled the exhaust but the engine is just not a precision instrument. I tried to baffle and shield and direct the noise but it is still too much to expect your neighbours to listen to. The inverter types are much quieter but may be more sensitive to the spike at start up. That Predator looks like a great deal for the money, if it can handle your loads.
Seems like I read of A/C's being run from tow vehicle alternators and inverters?

McDave

PS Here are some options to look at...

https://www.ebay.com/i/123293338386?chn ... fQQAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/i/202724244901?rt= ... %3D2385738
McDave
Donating Member

Postby cg_ops » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:33 am

McDave wrote:Good info on that site. And the bit about the fan already running is also important. You may want to try that because the fan motor in mine also has a capacitor and that would add to the LRA load. So A/C on high cool but thermostat turned to warmest setting so fan only starts, then move thermostat to cooler setting to kick in compressor may work for you. But in the long run it would be best to have more capacity since you have other loads as well. I use a Coleman workmate gen. and it handles the load fine but... it is loud and obnoxious. I have muffled the exhaust but the engine is just not a precision instrument. I tried to baffle and shield and direct the noise but it is still too much to expect your neighbours to listen to. The inverter types are much quieter but may be more sensitive to the spike at start up. That Predator looks like a great deal for the money, if it can handle your loads.
Seems like I read of A/C's being run from tow vehicle alternators and inverters?

McDave

PS Here are some options to look at...

https://www.ebay.com/i/123293338386?chn ... fQQAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/i/202724244901?rt= ... %3D2385738

I figure a simple hard start capacitor should be enough, as only $15-30 it's a cheap first steps. The starting kit would be the next option.

I don't understand why AC manufacturers don't simply include a hard start capacitor in the first place. It's far less stress on the whole electrical system and would probably result in customers being happier with their overall camping experience.

I've considered the predator but have seen enough mixed reviews that I'm leaning towards the iGen4500 I had linked to and purchase it through Sam's Club, which has a return/warranty policy almost as good as Costco.
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:40 am

Can't hurt to try the hard start caps. I have seen them work in many cases. No harm to try for sure and can only help. Just get the right size for the job.

Sounds like you need a gen larger than Predator in any case. Really do not want to run more than 80% capacity for extended periods anyhow.

Predators do have some mixed reviews, but they all do at some level. I did buy the 2yr replacement warranty because of that. So far however, I have been pleased.

Best of luck with your endeavours!

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby BlueNomad » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:41 am

cg_ops wrote:She's finally done and arrived at my dealer from the manufacturer!! Ordered her back in August.

LOOK Vision 8.5x24x7.5 Car Hauler-style trailer.

This is a great looking trailer and along the lines I am looking to do also. I have been trying to work with Look Trailers on custom options and dealing with a dealer as well. There has been a big communication issue between us 3 parties. How was your experience with your dealer. I too am in Cali, and if your had a great experience, I'd probably work with your dealer.
I'd like to also ask a few questions on what you asked for vs. what they delivered.
BlueNomad
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ScottSawyer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:11 am

flboy wrote:Can't hurt to try the hard start caps. I have seen them work in many cases. No harm to try for sure and can only help. Just get the right size for the job.

Sounds like you need a gen larger than Predator in any case. Really do not want to run more than 80% capacity for extended periods anyhow.

Predators do have some mixed reviews, but they all do at some level. I did buy the 2yr replacement warranty because of that. So far however, I have been pleased.

Best of luck with your endeavours!

Second this suggestion, I've had one for about a year and a half and the only problem I've had was the spark arrestor getting carboned up. We use our trailer as a race trailer and are generally parked on asphalt so I just removed it around 100 hours and have had no issues since. Got about 300 hours on it and going strong. We generally use it at least once a month so I don't bother draining fuel. I use non ethanol gas whenever possible and it just keeps on purring.
ScottSawyer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:26 am

The carboned up spark arrestor is probably the #1 reason for bad reviews. It will run poorly and folks are clueless as to why and just blame it on poor quality and try to return under warranty. The other big item is they will use it infrequently and not drain fuel from carburetor and then it won't start. Of course that is the Generator's fault. They make it very easy to drain the bowl.

I think it is a very nice generator and I am pleasantly suprised.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby brianjonesphoto » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:32 am

cg_ops wrote:She's finally done and arrived at my dealer from the manufacturer!! Ordered her back in August.

LOOK Vision 8.5x24x7.5 Car Hauler-style trailer.

Customization list
[list]

[*]Dual side windows (should've gone bigger)

How much bigger to you wish you would have gone? How to you like the position you chose?

Also how well does your RAM1500 do pulling so far? I'm looking into a 8.5x16 and plan to pull it with a ecodiesel ram.

Thanks.
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cg_ops » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:04 am

Couple updates, nothing major.

After a ton of homework, I picked up the Westinghouse iGen4500DF ihttps://www.westinghouseoutdoorpower.com/shop/all-products/igen4500df/. It's pretty damn awesome! I'm in the SF Bay and my mom has been dealing with PG&E's scheduled power outages, 2-4 days at a time. I borrowed a Honda EU3000IS from a friend for the 1st outage and picked up the Westinghouse for the 2nd. To my mild surprise the iGen was every bit as quiet as the Honda. With the push button and remote start, auto-choke, wheels, handle, long run time, quiet running, and fantastic board layout, I think this thing is a killer genny! Got it from Sams Club for $999 (they have a return policy similar to costco's so it offered some piece of mind)

As to why I would've gone bigger on the windows - they're functional but bigger ones would've made it nicer to be inside for longer periods. A better view and more breeze would've been much appreciated. I'd probably go around 4-5ft wide and ~2-3ft tall if I could do it again.

Towing with my truck is fine. The 3.92 gearing is definitely helpful. I have no issues cruising at up to 70mph with it. At 55 I get around 9-10MPG (or 9.5-11 if I'm drafting a semi). At 70mph I'll get 8-9.5mpg. I've been seriously considering a 2020 or 2021 Ram with the next gen ecodiesel b/c of the mileage. My trailer is 5500lbs empty and 7500lbs with my typical load (2-3 motorcycles gear, rolling tool bench, bed, etc). The new ecodiesel, from what I've heard, is ~30mpg on the freeway and 22 in town. Towing a similar load is around 16mpg, which is just under my unloaded freeway mpg.

I LOVE the get up and go of the truck unloaded. I think it'd be similar to the diesel loaded. (nothing to put you in your seat but no slouch either)
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby cg_ops » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:10 am

Finally started installing the etrack onto the walls. The plans is to have 3 levels of it. Top level will be for hooks to hang jackets and such. Middle level will be for the 2x4 support points to do an etrack bed. The lower ones will be for securing boxes/cargo to the walls or as cross bracing to secure stuff against the wall in combination with the top/middle ones.

This is what I kind of envision. Between the cot and this setup, it should sleep 4-6
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:11 pm

cg_ops, Howdy;

Lookin' good so far. Sounds like you've got a handle on the plan for your build.
Be interesting to watch as it goes together. Please keep us in the loop. :thumbsup:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dixon9 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:44 am

cg_ops, did you ever built the etrack beds? If so, did you use ground supports at all? Are they working well?

I want to do this in my trailer but I can't seem to find any concrete answers to if the sides will hold up to the weight.
Dixon9
Teardrop Inspector

Postby klauswoolhouse » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:54 am

I know it’s an old thread, but I love the LED light strips outside the trailer. Do you keep them on while driving somewhere? I also want to buy a trailer, and such lights would make it look much better in the dark.
I’m a huge LED lights fan because I like the atmosphere they create. I have led strip lights, and two amazon led light bulbs in my room. The lightning there is amazing, especially when I dim the lights a little at night. It helps me fall asleep faster and not be anxious about sleeping alone so much. So, I would also like to install something like this in my trailer. Is it possible to connect all this to the trailer’s electrical system?
klauswoolhouse
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions