Toy Hauler/Camper Research and build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Toy Hauler/Camper Research and build

Postby Lanval » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to build a toy hauler/camper and have spent many an hour drooling over the masterpieces that have been build. But I still have some questions. This is going to be a combination of hauling the bikes to the track, and then sleeping in the trailer. Most of our riding is in the south, so air conditioning is more important than heat. Also want to add a small toilet. So some of the questions I have are as follows.

I have seen where people have bought the trailer with an extended hitch frame, was this for better control towing on the road, or just more space to store fuel tanks, or gas tanks up front of the trailer?

Have any of you built for hauling motorcycles, and do you have suggestions on what worked, or what you would change? We will be hauling three, maybe four bikes, so what width worked for you? Can we get three across, or only two?

That's all for now.

Thanks
Lanval
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Toy Hauler/Camper Research and build

Postby hankaye » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Lanval, Howdy;

Welcome to the fun and festivities! If you've been looking you'll see flboy and his thread of over 100 pages
One of the best on here, and he's got bikes to haul and sleep in as well. Several others (not me), have done
likewise and most everyone is more helpful then a Boy Scout lookin' for an old lady to help across the street.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Lanval » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking to buy a 7x16 and it is hard to make a decision as I have read too many problems with some of the cheaper trailers. I have read what to look for, but I guess it is the hidden finish which can be a problem, such as wiring passing through holes made with gas torches, no grommets for pass throughs, missing paint. I guess I just need to have an idea of what to pay and go from there.

So would a purchase price of $4500 for a 7x16 seem reasonable, and does anyone have any suggestions of manufactures?

Thanks
Lanval
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Lanval, Howdy;

One key thing to check for is the fasteners for the flooring and interior side walls.
Some of the makers use a nail with what looks like a screw head. INSIST I'll say it
again, INSIST on screws. If they hem-and haw move on... Not worth your time and
trouble trying to remove them and the wall/floor, without damage and probable
replacement.
That's only my opinion, but it's from others that had them and their frustration
dealing with them.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby m.colley » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:04 pm

I agree with Hank on the screw vs nail/screw. I had the trailer tongue extended for two reasons mainly. One so that I could have my spare tire mount up front out of the way and still have room for two 20# propane bottles on the tongue and two for the handling/maneuverability of the trailer especially when backing up. I have better luck backing with the longer tongue,

And yes I built ours as a toy hauler.. The 14' canoe fits inside, the Harley fits with no problem as does the two 4wheelers. Next year I hope to be loading a SxS/UTV in it to haul to TN and out west.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions