Typical flat roof construction..

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Typical flat roof construction..

Postby rebar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:56 am

Hello everyone..

I was referred to Jensen Trailers and they said they build One Piece flat roofs which actually fold over the side walls.. Meaning the material is larger than the trailer, and then folded over the edge..

My only reference regarding construction techniques was my old featherlite who used a rounded extruded roof corner on top of the side wall and then a "one piece" roof which I always considered false advertising.. Because its not one piece and it leaked because it relied on sealant.

How do most trailer manufactures using flat one piece roofs construct them? Do they rely on the aluminum corner trim piece and caulk to seal it? Or do they also fold the roof material over the side walls like Jensen Trailers?

Thanks
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Re: Typical flat roof construction..

Postby McDave » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Check out Stealth's project, it looks to be a "1 piece roof" and you can see it de-constructed..
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69973&p=1244618#p1244618

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:24 pm

How do most trailer manufactures using flat one piece roofs construct them? Do they rely on the aluminum corner trim piece and caulk to seal it?

"Each Jayco is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship to the original purchaser for twenty-four (24) months..."

I think most use butyl tape under the trim and don't worry about it.

:thumbdown:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rebar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:38 am

McDave wrote:Check out Stealth's project, it looks to be a "1 piece roof" and you can see it de-constructed..

McDave

Thanks.. I'll check it out.

tony.latham wrote:
How do most trailer manufactures using flat one piece roofs construct them? Do they rely on the aluminum corner trim piece and caulk to seal it?

"Each Jayco is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship to the original purchaser for twenty-four (24) months..."

I think most use butyl tape under the trim and don't worry about it.

:thumbdown:

Tony

If they used VHB tape, you might be dry for a while.. But considering how much time and money we spend on interior's, I'd feel way more comfortable knowing my one piece roof was actually one piece, and extended and folded over all the side walls like Jensen builds them..

http://www.jensentrailer.com/
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:19 am

rebar wrote:My only reference regarding construction techniques was my old featherlite who used a rounded extruded roof corner on top of the side wall and then a "one piece" roof which I always considered false advertising.. Because its not one piece and it leaked because it relied on sealant.

How do most trailer manufactures using flat one piece roofs construct them? Do they rely on the aluminum corner trim piece and caulk to seal it? Or do they also fold the roof material over the side walls like Jensen Trailers?

Thanks

Jensen says they use flat roof, but I wonder how they make the 90-degree roof to sidewall angle? I don't think that they could use a metal brake to make the bends before installing the sheet. I also don't think they "stamp" the roof metal. My guess is that they bend the roof metal down to the vertical sidewall is set in place. This is what WeeRoll does for their Air Camp trailer. Here is a pic from their website:

Image.

WeeRoll then comes pack with a trim to cover up the "dimpled" vertical section where the roof was hammered over to the sidewall.

What is not apparent is the type of trim. Either it is vertical only, or it is an "L" section that wraps over on top of the roof.
Last edited by aggie79 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby rebar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:41 pm

aggie79 wrote:Jensen says they use flat roof, but I wonder how they make the 90-degree roof to sidewall angle?

I wondered also, but being a tinner by trade, I figured they did it by hand/baring tool/ hand seamers/hammer and then cover it with trim that's no taller than the roof to prevent ponding. So I wrote Walter at Jensen and he said that's exactly how they do it.

Granted, driving wind pressure can drive water up and into anything.. But this fold over method is definitely superior to relying on sealant only..

McDave wrote:Check out Stealth's project, it looks to be a "1 piece roof" and you can see it de-constructed..

McDave

Thanks for pointing that out McDave. Yes its a one piece roof, but it doesn't extend over the side walls and relies on sealant not to leak. Calling it a one piece roof is false advertising.. did I mention that?
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby Stealth TDI » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:03 pm

HAHA!

Technically, my roof is one piece of aluminum. It just has holes where it's screwed along the perimeter, including a few holes where they missed the frame. Homesteader's website describes the roof as a "Seamless Aluminum Roof" with "High Tech Roof Sealant." It's completely laughable. Working on my trailer has made me very disappointed in the workmanship presented by the manufacturer. At first, I felt is was specific to my manufacturer and perhaps even to my tiny model. "There's not enough money going into these to justify quality work," as a fly-by-night framer I use to work for would say. BUT, I suspect nearly all manufacturers have similar designs and rely on sealants to prevent leaks. Here's a single shot of the front of my roof:

That said, I'm sure these trailers are built with the intent that they'd never be disassembled. The leaks I discovered probably could have gone completely undetected for 10 years if I had not removed my walls. Anyone who sells their trailer within its first five years (maybe 10?) could easily claim to be completely satisfied simply because they were blissfully unaware of its construction flaws, this is especially true for the owner who used it for hardy cargo or yard care stuff... things that don't demand a clean environment. Those of us pursuing high standards for camping are rare birds in the grand scheme of cargo trailer customers.

My repair efforts are currently stalled due to weather and awaiting supplies. But I'm expecting the last of my parts next Monday and should see some progress soon.
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Ha.

I think everyone has noticed shoddy workmanship with practically everything being built by humans these days. Machines usually do a better job, and I wonder when a trailer manufacturer will build a machine to pump trailers out as generic as they have become.
Your not alone when it comes to leaks in trailers. I chased numerous in my old featherlite, but what do we expect when we bounce the trailers down the freeway? I remember once, first time in denver.. One of interstate 70/76 bridge's was like a damn ramp, or jump. I cant believe the trailer didn't break in half or off because it was brutal, but no wonder it leaked. Then the washboard roads and so on? Yeah..

Anyway.. Spring time motivates sellers, so I'm hoping I will find a solid narrow track on craigslist for under 2500. But if I cant find anything this year, I'll probably have Walter from Jensen build me one. Or maybe K & O Mfg. Pace Setter who are working on a quote for me.. Featherlite will build me one for under 15k but Im leaning towards a steel trailer. So I have avenues if I cant buy a used project, and time..

I'm wondering where I could buy a 8'x17' piece (roll) of galvanized 24 gauge when I do find a used trailer. Maybe Walter would install one for me..
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby jaysul » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:05 pm

My flat roof turned out great! Over hung my trim then pmf over the whole thing strong and water tight even with a skylight!ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaysul
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions