Bottom of trailer paint?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Bottom of trailer paint?

Postby travist » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:32 am

So I'm doing the ez-hauler build, and the flooring is 3/4" Dry Max Cargo Panels https://cache1.buildgp.com/wp-content/u ... AQ-pdf.pdf

So the question is: should I go to the extent of disassembly so that I pull up the plywood and paint it, or just paint it from the underneath. I guess I'm wondering if missing the spots where the studs are underneath is a big deal.
travist
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Bottom of trailer paint?

Postby working on it » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:51 am

travist wrote:...
So the question is: should I go to the extent of disassembly so that I pull up the plywood and paint it, or just paint it from the underneath. I guess I'm wondering if missing the spots where the studs are underneath is a big deal.

* I used spray can automotive undercoating on my TTT. That way, I could cover the underside plywood deck, frame, and any exposed bolt heads or nuts at the same time, without the mess of the dripping brush-on black asphaltic stuff many people use. The spray-on (rattle-can) application is easy, even without lifting the trailer (be sure to wear a mask, eye protection, and maybe a head covering (my white hair got darker, somehow, while using it). It dries almost instantly, so you can do several layers at a time. You can quickly re-coat, if you need to, anytime, anywhere, if you keep a spare can handy.
* I used several brands, they all work together the same, depending what auto supply, big box store, Tractor Supply I was near, over many years of modifications, where I would add or remove thru-floor bolts, and needed to re-touch. Rustoleum, Duplicolor, Krylon undercoating, even Herculiner bed-liner, all do the job. None has ever come off, or let water thru.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Bottom of trailer paint?

Postby John61CT » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:26 am

Love the nightclub / bouncers concept in that flyer
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions