Toyhauler bed solutions?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Toyhauler bed solutions?

Postby sheluvsmuddin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:
ZColorado wrote:
McDave wrote:...Fairly simple concept.

Thank you.... I posted this to facebook as well and it has been met with almost nothing but extreme critics.

I've been wanting to try tig welding aluminium. Maybe this will be something I end up tig welding together. I think it will need a center leg unless I make it super thick, which i dont want to do.

Haha, saw the post on FB! A bunch of hard heads over there for sure. It's not a blueprint, just a concept that will need a few details worked out. I sketched it up for another discussion on here, I personally went with the design below. Whatever you build, be sure to post some pics. Looking forward to what you come up with.
Bed Build Page

Pushed in for futon couch.

Extended for bed.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this style of bed/couch combo but so that it also folds up out the way for cargo/ATV?????? Would that make it too unstable??? I'm still in the planning phases trying to gather the ideas on things I want... Thanks in advance.
:twisted:
sheluvsmuddin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kawierider » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:42 pm

^^ I’m planning to do bunk beds with a very similar configuration.

This way, when my kids get older and bring friends along, or we bring other couples along, we can turn a twin into a futon size full.

The only difference is instead of sliding out, it will be hinged. The Hinge along the wall will allow the whole shebang to fold up to get at storage underneath. The hinge at the outside/middle will allow it to expand. Mine will have a wall with a shelf that will support the far edge when folded all the way out.

The wall side hinge will offset the thickness of the mattress. The mattress will be two pieces of foam that are hinges with a sewn fabric sleeve. This will allow them to be folded in a single config, or payed out for the full size
kawierider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:54 pm

kawierider wrote:^^ I’m planning to do bunk beds with a very similar configuration.

This way, when my kids get older and bring friends along, or we bring other couples along, we can turn a twin into a futon size full.

The only difference is instead of sliding out, it will be hinged. The Hinge along the wall will allow the whole shebang to fold up to get at storage underneath. The hinge at the outside/middle will allow it to expand. Mine will have a wall with a shelf that will support the far edge when folded all the way out.

The wall side hinge will offset the thickness of the mattress. The mattress will be two pieces of foam that are hinges with a sewn fabric sleeve. This will allow them to be folded in a single config, or payed out for the full size

Sounds doable, mine hinges, just no shelf to hold the mattress.

Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby AndrewS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:54 pm

This is an inelegant but very simple and cheap modular setup that I am thinking about using.
https://youtu.be/ZyoF9rGyjYQ

Folds up flat on the walls for loading/unloading toys, includes storage in the totes, and doubles as dual benches. Build it 12-18" forward from the ramp to make room for a full size mattress to rest when it is in the bench configuration. Then just drop in the middle support and plop the mattress down when it is bed time.
AndrewS
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jwhite » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:43 pm

My original bed was a queen I had it across the back almost wall to wall and it was such a pain to put down and put up I normally left it down, was a real pain to put the sheets on I had to lay on top of the bed and try to put the sheets on.
I also have a rear door so I can walk onto the rear ramp so I was walking on the bed.
I finally went with a twin bed and used the same murphy design but I now have it length way now I have almost 3 foot of walk around space easy to put the sheets on and so easy now I can put the bed up and down so I have plenty of open space.
I bought a 8inch memory foam mattress from amazon then I found that I could have bough the same at Walmart but it was here in 3 days just saying if your in a hurry, it's one of the best upgrades I have done and the bed sleeps great.
I don't know if that answered your question but I thought I would add if others are thinking about a bed
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Grummy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:04 pm

7 Wide ? PERFECT for a segmented front wall bed.

Have you, or would you consider a FRONT bed floor plan ?

I'm finding what I did really works well. You can "make" the bed in seconds, It stores invisibly without using much space, it can actually be USED for those free over nights at the cracker barrel WITHOUT unloading, and when folded up, you still have a nice seating/couch area. These are just to name a few benefits.

Of course it all comes down to what YOU really need when it comes to fitting everything in the space you have to work with.

You can see the concept in the first few photos on my build page: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=70777
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby ZColorado » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:55 am

I will be hauling an RZR, so a front bed wont work since I need as much rear storage width as I can get.
ZColorado
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Malamute » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:42 am

I made a hinged bedframe in a pickup utility shell that stuck out from the wall about 5 or 6 inches to the hinge point, that allowed the bed to fold up against the side with the mattress and bedding still in place. The legs folded up or down as it was raised or lowered. The frame hung below the hinge point when folded up. I dont know if I have any pictures, but if I find some Ill post them.

Electrically raised beds. Im beginning figuring out if I will build or buy a used toy hauler for a motorcycle with sidecar (1984 H-D Low Rider with DMC sidecar), the max height of the bike when parked is 44", so id have room for a vertically moving bed. Anyone have sources or experience with them? A friend has an Elk Mountain conversion with the electrically raised/lowered bed and its very cool and practical. That would allow me sleeping room with the bike/sidecar rig inside without it totally wiping out that floor space. I want a small kitchen and bath area up front thats usable with the rig loaded. The Elk Mountain the friend has is about perfect in that regard, but way out of my price range.

You know all those things you've always wanted to do?

You should go do them.
Malamute
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions