Washing/waxing your CT?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Washing/waxing your CT?

Postby cg_ops » Wed May 08, 2019 10:46 am

Wasn't sure which section to post this but it seemed appropriate here since I'm sure a CT is a little different than standard teardrops/RV's. Since most seem to have aluminum skin with paint on them, it seems like the process/tools might be a little different than typical RV fiberglass.

What's your preferred method and/or tools for washing your CT?
Best cleaning chemicals? (soaps, waxes, tire UV protectant, etc)
How do you handle the roof? Seems like that would be the most delicate AND need the UV protection/applications
Anything you've found to avoid doing/using?

Bonus pic of my first trip using it to camp recently
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Re: Washing/waxing your CT?

Postby aggie79 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:49 am

Although I have a teardrop with aluminum exterior, so this doesn't apply directly, I usually wax the teardrop annually with carnuba car wax. This helps to keep the tree sap and bird poop from sticking as much.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby walkrdg » Thu May 09, 2019 12:58 pm

My trailer was stored unused under some trees for four years in rainy Washington State. I washed it twice a year with Dawn soap and water using an RV brush. The aluminum top collected some tree sap and it either came off in washing, or I scraped it off using my fingernails, mostly. I waxed the trailer once using regular Turtle carnauba wax. Simple stuff. I've now coated the top with Henry's, so we'll have to see how that works out, 'cause that's new to me. I'm in Nevada now, and have fortunately got parking under cover so it will be some time for me to find what the top does.
walkrdg
Teardrop Builder

Postby cg_ops » Fri May 10, 2019 9:23 am

What's Henry's?
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby walkrdg » Fri May 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Oh, sorry! Henry's #587 is a popular roof coating I learned about here. Paint it on, and it reflects heat (it's white), helps to deaden sound (rain), and of course is an additional sealer on the roof. About five years late, I finally got it done.

Dave
walkrdg
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions